Eclipse Smart Home Error on Windows

I’m trying to use the Eclipse Smart Home Designer on my Windows 10 64bit machine, but when I try to launch the program all I get is a an Error Message and then a log file created.

I think it could be possibly an issue with Java or a 64bit issue? I have a Win10 64bit machine and installed the latest JDK version 9 64bit on to the machine as well. I do not see a 32bit JDK version.

The error log file created is pretty large, but part of that looks like this:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.smarthome.designer.core 4 0 2017-11-05 21:00:17.617
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.smarthome.designer.core [218]
  Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core
    -> Export-Package: org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core; bundle-symbolic-name="org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core"; bundle-version="0.8.0"; version="0.0.0"
       org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core [211]
         Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.smarthome.core.common
           -> Export-Package: org.eclipse.smarthome.core.common; bundle-symbolic-name="org.eclipse.smarthome.core"; bundle-version="0.8.0"; version="0.0.0"
              org.eclipse.smarthome.core [212]
                Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.7))"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1582)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1562)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1533)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1476)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340)

So any ideas on how to get the Editor working?

I have no idea whether the designer works with JDK 9 at all. In addition, the designer will probably die in the near future.
Therefore I would recommend the openHAB Visual Studio Code AddOn: http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/editors.html#openhab-vscode

I switched over to VS code and the OH2 extension, and like the layout better as well.

But for anyone else, yes it appears issues with JDK 9 and the Designer. After uninstalling JDK 9 and going with the latest stable of Version 8, the Designer worked.

For completeness, I’m pretty sure OH itself doesn’t work with Java 9 yet either.