Ecobee binding issues

so, i’ve got my ecobee3 hooked up and connected to openhab (at least it seems to be)…the main thermostat is ‘Upstairs’, and the one sensor is ‘Master Bedroom’. here are my items

Number UpstairsTemp "Upstairs Temperature [%.1f °F]" { ecobee="<[123456789012#remoteSensors(Upstairs).capability(temperature).value]]" }
Number MasterBedroomTemp "Master Bedroom Temperature [%.1f °F]" { ecobee="<[123456789012#remoteSensors(Master Bedroom).capability(temperature).value]]" }

…and my sitemap

Frame {
    Text item=UpstairsTemp icon="temperature"
    Text item=MasterBedroomTemp icon="temperature"
}

this shows both sensors in my sitemap (obviously), but they’re both always reporting -. occasionally the main thermostat (Upstairs) will report, but it’s reporting an average of the two sensors (i have follow me turned on). the remote sensor has never reported anything other than -.

what am i doing wrong?

You appear to have two ] closing square brackets at the end of your binding config strings, so I would fix that first. If that doesn’t clear it up, please turn on DEBUG or TRACE logging for the binding and post any logged messages that seem suspicious to you.

Also, the binding config <[123456789012#remoteSensors(YourThermostat).capability(temperature).value] should return the sensor value, not the averaged value. The averaged value should come back from <[123456789012#runtime.actualTemperature].

that resolved it…awesome! thanks!

it seems the first poll takes forever when i add a new item…is that normal?

It’s probably normal, but it shouldn’t take more than 3-4 minutes if you have default values for refresh and granularity. It could be improved by expiring the poll time when bindings are changed, but I haven’t added that yet. Pull requests are welcome!

it seems to be much better now that i’ve gotten to work on everything…but i’m having a horrific time getting any actions to work in my jython scripts. can you help with that? i started another thread about it…i’m getting really frustrated.

I saw your thread about Jython, but I don’t know anything about how to get that to work. Have you searched for examples of calling any openHAB actions from Jython?

I hope that the next pass with extending the new rule engine in openHAB 2 (with Eclipse SmartHome) with different rule languages makes this easier. I hope to add the Lua language to that (or someone else does), as it’s a very clean and approachable language.