Ecolink tilt sensor

This could be a general question regarding range of zwave devices.

I have the above mentioned sensor installed, habmin shows that the node is alive but fail to receive a change status message when I have it installed in the garage. When i remove it and bring it inside the house, then it works fine and I get updates in my openhab gui.

Does this mean that the range is good enough to receive the status of the device but not change in state? seems weird and doesnt make much sense.

Please can you state the exact device. There are two EcoLink tilt sensors in the database and they are configured differently.

Check that the associations and wakeup are set correctly - look in HABmin and make sure that the node correctly points to your controller (which is normally node 1) for both wakeup and the association. If it says 255, then this is a broadcast address which works only when the device is in direct range of the controller, but it wont be routed if it’s out of direct range.

the device is econolink tiltzwave1.

I see that under associations it shows both node 1 and node 1 with non members next to it.

wake up interval is 14400 and target node is 1.

sorry if my answers do not make sense. am still trying to figure my way around all this.

No probs.

So the tilt1 doesn’t have a setting in the database to set the associations automatically - can you point me to a link for the manual (PDF)? I’ll then add this to the database…

However, you can set it manually. This might solve your problem.

here is the link

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200715200/Ecolink-TILTZWAVE2-ECO_manual_rev1.pdf

am trying to figure out how to do it manually. not sure how successful I will be.

how do i change the settings in the gui, no matter what I click i cannot seem to change any settings. i thought it was a bug or something. have tried waterfox and chrome but in both browsers when i click on the edit icon nothing happens.

edit: boy do i feel stupid. figured out that i had to click on the actual text and not the edit icon. on a different note, might be a good user interface idea to allow for clicks on edit icons.

Edit 2: I changed the node 1 to be a member but still, the door status is not being updated, instead of sending 0 or 1, it is still sending the status as “-”

i just noticed that even after i have added node 1 controller as a member for this device. the group 1 and 2 heading still says “0 of 5 group members”. i believe this is what is stopping me from getting the status from the device. thoughts?

I have one of those devices. You may have to activate the association by opening your garage door. Or better yet bring it near your controller for a bit to do the configuration.

Mine is attached to a pull-down attic door which is not too far from my z-stick controller.

I have both association groups configured through habmin to point to my z-stick as member.

Hi Bob,

I tried your advice above. it works fine when it is near the controller as soon as I get into the garage it stops working. i guess i will just wait till my zwave network gets dense.

got a few more sensors in the mail today.

You could get a range extender/pure repeater node also. Depending on your house layout, slapping one of these in an outlet as a “bridge” is not insane. I have one in my upper hallway just to strengthen the pathing between the floors. In retrospect, probably not needed for me, but if you have a more linear floorplan and/or the nearest node to the garage tilt sensor is a little far away…another option.

Thanks. I did look into it but decided against that. I have another 4 sensors come in the mail today lfm-20 for opening my garage, fibaro motion and 2 aeon micro switches and panels.

i think i will be manage to overcome this by making my network more dense and save spending the money on a pure range extender.

p.s.: am having trouble including the new sensors in the nodes. you were right about the battery sensors being a lot of playing around but its been almost 3 hours and still no luck. running out of ideas.

as long as your new nodes are repeating nodes, that is likely true.

re the new sensors…the microswitches are on the main power rather than battery, correct ? Are you able to include them ?

with battery-sensors, I have run into occasions where I thought the include did not work, but it had (surreptitiously). You can fall into an infinite loop here. Make sure to put your controller in EXCLUDE mode to unregister the nodes before retrying an INCLUDE.

I have not tried the micro switch yet, am gonna read up on wiring tomorrow and then try on wednesday.

the battery one is stuck in a weird zone. after i gave up trying to include it, it showed up as a new node the trouble it all the information is blank, including no packets have been sent. unable to add any information to it either. has it ever happened to you?

set your zwave log to DEBUG and watch for (voluminous) chatter with the failed node

2015-09-28 19:33:05.044 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - NODE 4: Error in doSet - no database found

does that help?

I’ll defer to @chris on this one…

For @chris reference

original thread: Fibaro FGMS-001 pairing

model number: FGMS-001-USA-A-V1.01

more from my log

2015-09-28 19:49:48.919 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@b475a0] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.920 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@e41b6c] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.921 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@4ceeea] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.922 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@10592dd] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.923 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@dff7a8] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.924 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@e6a264] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.924 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@15a362c] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.925 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@a8de60] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.926 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@1bb06aa] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.926 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@f372bb] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.927 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@c6db9f] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.928 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@b551b9] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.928 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@1fc83d3] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.929 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@a35dbd] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.930 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@f37155] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.930 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@35cc6b] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.931 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@1a03665] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.932 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@15ec059] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.933 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@5c7bfe] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.933 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@baad4a] - Set int - assuming LONG
2015-09-28 19:49:48.934 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - Error with parameter type for [org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.config.ZWaveDbLabel@c1a266] - Set int - assuming LONG

edit: and some more of these again

2015-09-29 05:49:11.630 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - NODE 4: Error in doSet - no database found
2015-09-29 05:49:21.111 [ERROR] [.z.i.config.ZWaveConfiguration] - NODE 4: Error in doSet - no database found

How did you set it up? Are there specific bindings needed? I am in need of a range extender.

I didn’t buy any extenders. I find that they are a waste of money and space. Once you have enough z wave devices the network becomes pretty solid between them.

Ah thank you that helps!