Email notification from this forum is not working?

Hi

when someone replys to a watched thread , i dont get any notification to my gmail? its also not in spam

is there an issue on this forum atm?

I also don’t receive emails from the forum anymore.
It looks like a general issue, but i don’t know who can help.

@Fabio_Pergola @Tuny both of you have a high bounce score, meaning that our forum messages are bounced by your email provider.
All you can do is changing to another mail address.

Huh? I just use a Gmail address, then a lot of users should be impacted

Indeed, that could bee…

Hmm, then there must be an issue then with this forum, or this sender address, not with Gmail itself?

I don’t have issues on other forums with same mail address

I am using my own domain hosted at domain factory and have no issues.

@Kai is there anything we can do to reduce/avoid bouncing from gmail?

The bounced reason says:

This message does not have authentication information or fails to
550-5.7.26 pass authentication checks (SPF or DKIM). 

So I am assuming we don’t have an SPF and/or DKIM record published in our DNS for our mail server. I actually thought we did this, so i need to look into this further.

5 Likes

Thanks for looking @digitaldan :+1:

So our domain hosting provider’ site is German language only (domain factory) , I may need some assistance from @kai to do this in their portal as I don’t want to mess something up here.

1 Like

I just had a look. Yes, we indeed had SPF already set up once:

➜  ~ dig openhab.org txt

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> openhab.org txt
;; ANSWER SECTION:
openhab.org.		300	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 mx include:ispgateway.de -all"

DKIM is not supported by DomainFactory, I just checked again and found this thread (in german) about it.

The reason why it still isn’t working might be that we are sending the emails from the forum as bot@community.openhab.org, i.e. from a sub-domain. As far as I just found out, sub-domains require their on SPF record. The DNS records of our sub-domain are managed in Route53, I’ll have a look if we can add them there and whether this helps.

2 Likes

Ok I have now created an SPF record for community.openhab.org as well:

➜  ~ dig community.openhab.org txt

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> community.openhab.org txt

;; ANSWER SECTION:
community.openhab.org.	300	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 mx include:ispgateway.de ip4:80.67.29.4 ~all"

@Fabio_Pergola Please let me know, if you now receive notifications to your gmail account or if there is still a problem with it!

3 Likes

Will do :+)

Thnx for looking into it

There is probably a delay, once received I let you know

1 Like

I had the same issue (also Gmail). Now after months I received a notification again on your post and also the 2 follow-up posts. :upside_down_face:

Thx to @Kai and @hmerk

1 Like

Excellent, glad to hear this, @igi!

Hmm, no mail received yet for me

Hi @Kai - if the mailserver is on the same server (community.openhab.org), the ip4-record in the spf-record might be wrong… I always use https://www.mail-tester.com - it gives you a good overview of your scoring and also some useful hints how to resolve some issues…

I now received an email notification

1 Like