EnOcean USB300 initialization fails with OH 4.0.0.M3 and OH 4.0.0.#3512

Could you provide a KAR file, so testers do not struggle with missing serial transport ?

I would advise to install for example the alarmdecoder binding which also uses openhab-transport-serial. I’m not familiar with how to produce a correct KAR file.

That is quite simple to answer:

mvn clean install karaf:kar ….

Better than the need of addin an unused binding :wink:

1 Like

Here we go:
org.openhab.binding.enocean-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.kar

FYI @fnu and @backflip

1 Like

@laursen
Not exactly, what I did is:

apt remove openhab
apt-get install openhab=4.0.1-1
$OPENHAB_RUNTIME/bin/restore $OPENHAB_BACKUPS/openhab-backup-23_07_29-16_59_22.zip
service openhab start

I don’t know how to handle this .jar files…

Okay, I’m not sure where that would leave you, so just to be clear:

• Uninstall the binding using Main UI.
  • Copy org.openhab.binding.enocean-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.kar into your addons directory, for example /usr/share/openhab/addons in openHABian.
  • Restart openHAB (because the binding from the 4.0.1 distribution would already have wild-running jobs which will not be stopped by uninstalling the binding).

Ok, thanks, but I’m little confused here.

First, downloaded filename is “org.openhab.binding.enocean-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.mid”?

Second, one .kar file just for enocean? How to handle that, same as the .jar file?

Actually I don’t mind to load an unused binding just for testing purpose, there will be a clean way sometime afterwards … :wink:

===

One point bothers me actually more, my clean install from today using openhabian 1.8 image, does show (again) an empty source for openhab repository:

openhabian@openhabian:~ $ sudo apt policy openhab
openhab:
  Installiert:           4.0.1-1
  Installationskandidat: 4.0.1-1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 4.0.1-1 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

openhabian@openhabian:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list

Pretty much same like my the one I maintained till that morning, after it got pointed to “openhab 4” branch … the new one never got changed, it started up that way by default … sorry for that offtopic.

Yes, a .kar file is just another package. In this case, it will include all dependenvies (serial transport layer), so you don’t need any unused binding with serial tranport and you will not see any “unresolved rquirements” errors in the log.

I’m sorry, I shared it through Google Drive which seems to think it’s an audio file. I hope you were able to download it anyway.

You can either use the .jar - and install another unused binding to include the dependency, or use console commands to install that dependency. Or you can use the .kar where the dependency should be included. Besides the dependency issue the files are identical, so it’s completely up to you.

In either case I would still be interested in the test result, so please report back if the stability is restored compared to 4.0.0/4.0.1.

@laursen
Now I did it with the .kar file but with OH v4-0-0-1. It was not running anymore. Than I installed the EnOcean binding again with the gui. Now it is running since 20 minutes and looks good at the moment.

I don’t know for how long it ran stable before the fix, so please update when either it fails, or when it has significantly passed the previous amount of stability. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Sorry, I misread. You installed from the UI? Then you would get the official 4.0.1 version of the binding which is known to cause problems. If you then also copied the .kar file into your addons directory, you would be running two instances. I may have misunderstod…

@laursen:
Till now everything looks good. But what have I done? Does this helps?

openhab> bundle:list -s | grep binding
287 x Active x  80 x 0                      x wrap_file__var_lib_openhab_tmp_kar_org.openhab.binding.enocean-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT_org_lastnpe_eea_eea-all_2.2.1_eea-all-2.2.1.jar
288 x Active x  80 x 4.1.0.202307291812     x org.openhab.binding.enocean
openhab>

Or is there another way to check the current version?

It looks correct, if you had been running the official version from the distribution, the version number would have been 4.0.1, not 4.1.0. Thanks for confirming!

@laursen

Still don’t have that much time, I gave the .kar a one time chance, but no success. OH4 does start up with a book of Java exceptions and afterwards no enocean bridge or devices available.

Best result for me still your latest 4.1.0–SNAPSHOT .jar, with sideloaded “serial” binding. Maybe not that elegant, but does run stable since days and I have really seen worse workarounds :slight_smile:

===

Meanwhile I fixed also the content of “/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list” and imported key using depricated apt-key … something is fishy with the automated toolset in openhabian(-config), as it does erdicate the openhab repository from above apt .list automated …

Thanks, that’s fine, the objective was to fix the bug, not to produce a well-functioning .kar. :slightly_smiling_face:

The pull request is merged and I hope @Lolodomo will include it in 4.0.2. :wink:

1 Like

Big thanks @All who helped here.

I updated to OH4.0.1 a couple of hours ago and the EnOcean binding (4.0.1) works fine so far.

Just a heads up: There are still some quite serious bugs in the 4.0.1 version of the binding. The fixes will be included with 4.0.2, but until then you can find JAR/KAR files in this thread.

1 Like

Off-topic, but could use some help @laursen what is the proper command for creating a kar with all dependencies. Build on snapshot, runs on stable.

Need it for some other binding fix testing.

See EnOcean USB300 initialization fails with OH 4.0.0.M3 and OH 4.0.0.#3512 - #75 by hmerk

Thanks for the heads up.

I switched to org.openhab.binding.enocean-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar - Google Drive now by

1. installing Alarmdecoder binding to keep the other required bundles (usb…, serial …, …) installed
  2. removing EnOcean 4.0.1 binding
  3. dropping EnOcean 4.1.0 jar in the addons folder

(as described here openHAB 4 migration FAQ :+1:)

After a restart with a cleaned cache (i did not try without) there was just one warning right at the beginning …

2023-08-13 13:13:34.752 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall        ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab/addons/org.openhab.binding.enocean-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.enocean [236]
  Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.openhab.core.config.discovery.usbserial
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:463) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:445) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:520) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) ~[?:?]

… but everthing came up fine afterwards and is running now flawlessly.

Thanks again for the support :clap: