[Ephemeris] ReadMe: Are holidays relative to Easter included?

@rlkoshak
Reading the documentation of the ephemeris binding it sounded to me as if the holidays relative to Easter are not (yet) included. However they are! Maybe it is only me understanding it that way?

You can find the XML file for your country [here](https://github.com/svendiedrichsen/jollyday/tree/master/src/main/resources/holidays)

Looking into that file the holidays relative to eastern are named but in no obvious way calculated.
Reading further:

For further examples and other types of holidays that require more complicated calculations (e.g. holidays based on a lunar calendar, Easter, etc.) see the [XSD that defines the structures of the XML](https://github.com/svendiedrichsen/jollyday/blob/b78fa20e75d48bdf14e3fa8107befe44e3bacf3a/src/main/xsd/Holiday.xsd).

Since Easter is explicit mentioned I understood that Easter is not calculated.
Maybe the sentence in brackets should add look like: "(e.g. additional holidays based on a lunar calendar, Easter, etc.) " this.
But it still might be my personal misinterpretation!

@glhopital
This action works great! ThankYou!

@rlkoshak here is some Ephemeris document feedback.

XML doesn’t do calculations. The actual calculations are performed in the Java code that comes with the Jollyday library. All the XML does is indicate that a calculation needs to be performed, in this case by using the ChristianHoliday element with a type of EASTER and supplying chronology of JULIAN. This tells the library it need to calculate Easter for the Orthodox date. There are similar elements for Islamic, Jewish, and Hindu holidays. If you want to see the actual calculation you need to look at the Java code though.

The reason I listed Easter in particular is that it is more than just a lunar calendar conversion. But the whole point of the Custom Bank Holiday section is that only if a holiday isn’t listed in your region’s XML, you will need to create a custom XML file. If your custom XML file needs to include more complicated holidays than “third Thursday of November”, you need to look at the XSD to see what the correct element is you need to use to cause the Jollyday library to do the calculation for you.

Easter may or may not be defined for your location. In most locations in the US, none of the Easter days are considered bank holidays. But if you are in Indiana, for example, Easter Monday is listed as a bank holiday. So residents of Indiana need do nothing. But residents of Colorado who what to include Easter Monday would need to create a custom XML file. And I don’t include how to do that in the example XML file provided, you need to look at the XSD to find the holiday. That is all that sentence is supposed to mean.

To me this was all clear but obviously there is something missing. I’m open to proposals for changes to make this more clear.

1 Like

I am not questioning the reasoning to mention Easter at all!

If I’m alone with this kind of mis-)understanding of the README I have no problem to keep it unchanged!
My sole suggestion would have been adding the above mentioned word.

But the sentence already starts with “For further examples…” Wouldn’t adding “additional” be redundant?

For further examples and other types of holidays that require more complicated calculations (e.g. additional holidays based on a lunar calendar, Easter, etc.) see the XSD that defines the structures of the XML.

1 Like

Maybe the following sentence would be more clear?

For further examples and to find the list of elements to reference holidays that require more complicated calculations (e.g. holidays based on a lunar calendar, Easter, etc.) see the XSD that defines the structures of the XML and the XML files for your country and others.

Replace country with location or locale? I see there are US states in the definitions.

I would say yes!

I use the word “country” deliberately because the XML files are separated by country using the two letter country code. The locales are embedded inside the country file. If I were to go look for Colorado Springs, Colorado, I wouldn’t find that file. I’d only find Holidays_us.xml and inside there I’d find a Colorado subsection. And if I’m just looking for examples, seeing any part of any of the files is all you need. But looking at any part of the country file will provide plenty of examples.

1 Like