[ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread

I have 5 pop thermostats running and 3 switches. It works fine for 18 days with no updates or changes. Only the 5 thermostats to test the config. But after 18 days the system gets errors. After a restart of the service or an reboot of the system the error arrived after a few hours. And won’t go away.
So when this happend i can reboot every two ours to keep up the zwave stick and binding running. Only a new install solved the problem for a few days.

Im using a Aeon stick plus. And a RPI3 with raspbian 2.1.0-1 (Release Build) on it. My anel relays binding works stil fine and the squeezebox binding also. Rfxcom binding is no problem with usb. Only the zwave gets I/O errors.
Is it an option to run openhab at an other device as an RPI3?

Otherwise i must buy a tado system with new thermostats. To have a heating home with no worries and a happy wife :slight_smile: And do everything with openhab accept zwave.

2017-10-31 09:25:40.068 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-10-31 09:25:45.073 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-10-31 09:25:45.078 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.

Kind regards Thetmar

Please provide a debug log showing the issue.

Thanks.

Hello Chris,

I switched already to an Xtreamer nuc / pc and installed not an openhabian installation but a plain openhab.
So i can’t give you the log anymore. Otherwise i have now also a lot of problems with switches and popp thermostats. Everything what communicate with ip from openhab to another device (like the Anel PwrHut relais) works perfect.
Squeezebox works fine. Only zwave is an difficult chapter… I use Qubino Flush 2 relay, Qubino dimmer dinrail and Popp zwave radiator knop. But i’m thinking to buy a Tado heating set. Then is the heating system standalone.
But stil the zwave problem remains with the dimmer en relais. After a couple of times to pair the device. All the items wil work. Sometimes it doesn’t report the enery level. Or the temprature or the manual switch command won’t be updated to openhab.

I also reading the ticket OH2 Z-Wave refactoring and testing... and SECURITY
Is it possible that the binding not working well? Thousands of people use zwave.
Are there things i can try to solve the problem?

Kind regards Thetmar

This is a VERY long thread where security features are developped. Please can you be specific about the problem. ZWave currently has around 650 devices included in the binding - it’s quite complex, and for sure there will be some things that don’t work with every device when there are so many devices to support.

I’m afraid I don’t actually know what the problem is that you are describing? If you can provide a description of the problem, and a debug log to show what is happening, then I’m happy to look at it, but a general statement like this is really hard to comment on I’m afraid.

I encountered that issue

07-Nov-2017 16:34:48.203 [ERROR] [g.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.

today for the first time ever and unfortunately there was not a single zwave device working anymore.

Runtime openHAB2 #1070, zwave dev binding 20171024

Around four hours after the error happened I switched to debug mode, this is the output:

https://gist.github.com/sihui62/955c7c0c3e6e6b2b05a68a21171c0ffd

After an openHAB restart (binding back to INFO level) zwave is stuck at:

07-Nov-2017 16:48:21.555 [INFO ] [g.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'

After restarting the RPi the binding is back alive for now :grinning:

Probably related topics:

Hi, @sihui!

You seem to be a very experienced openHAB’er, so my apologies if the following is an obvious or stupid suggestion.

In the past two years that I have been running openHAB on an RPI3, I have experienced relatively infrequent, seemingly random problems and crashes. Sometimes the problems were repeatable enough that I could definitely correlate them with a specific release (I have been running 2.2.0SNAPSHOT releases for some time now.) Other times I could not correlate the issues with a specific OH2 SNAPSHOT release, rather I found that I needed to move most of my USB devices off of a direct connection to the RPI3 and onto an externally powered USB hub connected to my RPI3. On at least two separate occasions, this change to my system took care of the problem. I now have three devices connected via the powered USB hub:

Only the USB hub and a CC2531 clone for ZigBee control are plugged directly into my RPI3. Also worth noting: I am using a 5V 4A USB P/S for my RPI3.

This setup has been quite stable for about five months now.

Hopefully this information helps.

Good luck!

Most likely something “bad” happened with the serial driver - I don’t think there’s anything that the binding can do to resolve this?

Same here: externally powered hub, attached is an usb zwave stick and an usb ssd drive (I’m not using any sd cards for my RPi). Running fine now since one year …

5V/3A on my side, should be sufficient.

Looks like … the only thing I’ve changed was installing the caldav command binding two days ago. But It does not look like that binding is using the serial driver :grinning:

Also the serial driver did not change since a couple of month.

I will keep an eye on it, thx so far.

@sihui, I figured you were probably aware of the RPi’s sensitivity to power, but didn’t think it would hurt to offer my 2 cents worth.

All good, thx.
Have not seen the issue again so far, maybe just a one time hickup …

Hi All

I realise this is a very old thread. I’m using a 2.5.0 snapshot Zwave binding which works well, however on a Intel NUC box after a number of days (generally when we are away from home for a few days) the following error occurs:

2020-05-18 17:08:27.073 [WARN ] [g.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.

A restart fixes it. It appears the controller goes offline after a while, this doesnt seem to happen when the system is used daily when we are home.

Any thoughts as to why this would occur? The Aeotec Z Stick is directly connected into the NUC and the NUC is mains powered.

Seems a little odd.

My version:

231 x Active   x  80 x 2.5.0.201912030406

Thanks!