[SOLVED] Error occurred while checking the system module on windows

Hi,
I am installing OpenHab v.2.5.12.5.1 following all instructions (Java, System Environment Variable). Command “java -version” reports Microsoft Windows
java version “1.8.0_241”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_241-b07)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.241-b07, mixed mode)
But I have “Error occurred while checking the system module on windows”.
Tried also with Zulu but nothing to do.
Any suggestion ?
Thank for helping a newbe

Welcome to the openHAB community :heart:

Don’t use windows… :crazy_face:

Why, you might ask.
Let me just quote Rich:

While you try what to do what exactly? I will just assume you try to start openHAB.

When referencing instruction please post a link to said reference you used.
Just assuming the reference is the official documentation.

Since it’s Windows…
Did you restart Windows after you installed Java? :thinking:

Please try to provide as much information as possible so we can help as best as we can.
For example, you did something and got an error message, but you did not provide a log of what you did, just the error message.

If you are unsure whats needed when creating a topic, I can recommend this topic which explains very well how to ask good questions.

1 Like

Thanks to all. I agree with the linux solution but I’cant follow now.
As said I followed all the instructions from the org web for windows installation.
On starting “start.bat” nothing happens.
Found a log on openHab2/userdata/logs that reports:
2020-02-14 10:42:54.887 [SEVERE] [org.apache.karaf.main.Main] - Could not launch framework
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error occurred while checking the system module.
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.checkSystemBundle(Storage.java:311)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.createStorage(Storage.java:87)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.(EquinoxContainer.java:68)
at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.(Equinox.java:31)
at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.EquinoxFactory.newFramework(EquinoxFactory.java:24)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:256)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.main(Main.java:178)
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Invalid manifest header Export-Package: “org.osgi.dto;version=“1.0”,org.osgi.resource;version=“1.0”,org.osgi.resource.dto;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto”,org.osgi.framework;version=“1.8”,org.osgi.framework.dto;version=“1.8”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.bundle;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.resolver;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework.wiring”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.service;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.weaving;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework.wiring”,org.osgi.framework.launch;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.namespace;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.resource”,org.osgi.framework.startlevel;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.startlevel.dto;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto”,org.osgi.framework.wiring;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework,org.osgi.resource”,org.osgi.framework.wiring.dto;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto,org.osgi.resource.dto”,org.osgi.service.condpermadmin;version=“1.1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework,org.osgi.service.permissionadmin”,org.osgi.service.packageadmin;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.service.permissionadmin;version=“1.2”,org.osgi.service.resolver;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.resource”,org.osgi.service.startlevel;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.service.url;version=“1.0”,org.osgi.util.tracker;version=“1.5.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.apache.karaf.version;version=“4.2.7”,org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot.principal;uses:=javax.security.auth;version=“4.2.7”,org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot;uses:=“javax.security.auth,javax.security.auth.callback,javax.security.auth.login,javax.security.auth.spi,org.osgi.framework”;version=“4.2.7”,org.apache.karaf.info;version=“4.2.7”, org.apache.karaf.branding, sun.misc, org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot;uses:=“javax.security.auth,javax.security.auth.callback,javax.security.auth.login,javax.security.auth.spi,org.osgi.framework”;version=4.2.7, org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot.principal;uses:=javax.security.auth;version=4.2.7, org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.core;uses:=org.osgi.framework;version=4.2.7, org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.core.common;uses:=org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.core;version=4.2.7”
at org.eclipse.osgi.util.ManifestElement.parseHeader(ManifestElement.java:353)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.builders.OSGiManifestBuilderFactory.createBuilder(OSGiManifestBuilderFactory.java:85)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getBuilder(Storage.java:632)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.checkSystemBundle(Storage.java:263)
… 6 more
It is sufficient for You.
Many thanks

Please read the “How to ask good question” Topic. I can tell from your next post that you did not read it.

One big chunk of text which is awful to read and analyse.

Let me just show en example of your text but formatted “correct” / “nice”.

EDITED

Thanks to all. I agree with the linux solution but I’cant follow now.
As said I followed all the instructions from the org web for windows installation.

On starting “start.bat” nothing happens.
Found a log on openHab2/userdata/logs that reports:

openHAB2/userdata/logs/openhab.log
2020-02-14 10:42:54.887 [SEVERE] [org.apache.karaf.main.Main] - Could not launch framework
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error occurred while checking the system module.
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.checkSystemBundle(Storage.java:311)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.createStorage(Storage.java:87)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.(EquinoxContainer.java:68)
at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.(Equinox.java:31)
at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.EquinoxFactory.newFramework(EquinoxFactory.java:24)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:256)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.main(Main.java:178)
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Invalid manifest header Export-Package: “org.osgi.dto;version=“1.0”,org.osgi.resource;version=“1.0”,org.osgi.resource.dto;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto”,org.osgi.framework;version=“1.8”,org.osgi.framework.dto;version=“1.8”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.bundle;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.resolver;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework.wiring”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.service;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.hooks.weaving;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework.wiring”,org.osgi.framework.launch;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.namespace;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.resource”,org.osgi.framework.startlevel;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.framework.startlevel.dto;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto”,org.osgi.framework.wiring;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework,org.osgi.resource”,org.osgi.framework.wiring.dto;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.dto,org.osgi.resource.dto”,org.osgi.service.condpermadmin;version=“1.1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework,org.osgi.service.permissionadmin”,org.osgi.service.packageadmin;version=“1.2”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.service.permissionadmin;version=“1.2”,org.osgi.service.resolver;version=“1.0”;uses:=“org.osgi.resource”,org.osgi.service.startlevel;version=“1.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.osgi.service.url;version=“1.0”,org.osgi.util.tracker;version=“1.5.1”;uses:=“org.osgi.framework”,org.apache.karaf.version;version=“4.2.7”,org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot.principal;uses:=javax.security.auth;version=“4.2.7”,org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot;uses:=“javax.security.auth,javax.security.auth.callback,javax.security.auth.login,javax.security.auth.spi,org.osgi.framework”;version=“4.2.7”,org.apache.karaf.info;version=“4.2.7”, org.apache.karaf.branding, sun.misc, org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot;uses:=“javax.security.auth,javax.security.auth.callback,javax.security.auth.login,javax.security.auth.spi,org.osgi.framework”;version=4.2.7, org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot.principal;uses:=javax.security.auth;version=4.2.7, org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.core;uses:=org.osgi.framework;version=4.2.7, org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.core.common;uses:=org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.core;version=4.2.7”
at org.eclipse.osgi.util.ManifestElement.parseHeader(ManifestElement.java:353)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.builders.OSGiManifestBuilderFactory.createBuilder(OSGiManifestBuilderFactory.java:85)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getBuilder(Storage.java:632)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.checkSystemBundle(Storage.java:263)
… 6 more

I am now reading the log

EDIT:

Question:
Did you run start.bat let it run for 1 Minute and then canceled and tried again?

Quote from MDAR:

I would suggest your try a fresh reinstall of openHAB since it looks like something got messed up on the first launch.

SOLVED:
1 - uninstalled completely Oracle Java;
2 - installed Zulu, updated System Variable JAVA_HOME (verified Java -version = OK);
3 - installed v.2.4 with Chocolatey, launched start.bat = Working OK (Murphy’s laws ?);
4 - downloaded v.2.5.1, installed, launched result = Working!;
5 - disinstalled Chocolatey copying its link system on openHAB2 folder updating links.
Now I have a nice link on my desktop from which I can access through sub links to comunity, configuration folder, console, dashboard, documentation, logs and start the application.
That’s all.
Thanks above all for your patience.
Ciao

Good thing you solved your problem!
Now the last part for you is to mark your topic as solved.

You may wonder how you do it, right?
Well…

I really, really advice every new user to read and understand how important it is to write good questions.

So please do me the favor :blush: pretty please

Have an awesome weekend,
BrutalBirdie

1 Like