ESPEASY to OPENHAB 3 Setup

• Platform information:

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4, ESP8266 NODEMCU
    • Java Runtime Environment:
    • OPENHAB version: 3
  • Issue of the topic: I am a beginner to OPENHAB 3 and actually I am a beginner to OPENHAB in general. Does anybody know how to link ESPEASY with OPENHAB 3? I am trying to make my fan a Smart Fan with Google Assistant and ESP8266. I was able to flash the ESP8266 NODEMCU with ESPEASY and I am able to control the ESP8266 through ESPEASY via entering commands online. I was able to setup OPENHAB 3 with Google Assistant by installing the required software packages: MOSQUITTO MQTT, MQTT Broker, Generic MQTT Thing, MQTT Binding, and OPENHAB Cloud Connector. I was able to install OPENHABIAN on my Raspberry Pi 4 and was also able to talk to the my OPENHAB Pi 4 server via MQTT with MQTT.fx So basically I am able to get ESPEASY to talk to ESP8266 NODEMCU and OPENHAB 3 to talk to Google Assistant but I do not know how to link ESPEASY to OPENHAB 3. If anybody has an example of connecting ESPEASY with OPENHAB 3 with just using a simple switch set up and directions on where to install commands/codes to make it work I would be very grateful. Please let me know if there is any more information that I can provide to help solve this issue.
    Thanks

• Please post configurations (if applicable):

• Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

Welcome! I suggest starting by searching for ESPEASY in the community. There are 50+ hits, including tutorials. They might be written for OH2, but the theories should transfer over.

You might also consider flashing with Tasmota, as many of us use that firmware with our ESP8266 devices. I use Tasmota, but don’t have an opinion that one is better than the other.

Hi rpwong
I appreciate your speedy response. I have spent several weeks on this project getting up to this point and I was wondering if anybody had an example that they could give me or direct me to in setting up ESPEASY (or TASMOTA) with OPENHAB3. I will continue my search in finding the right information but if anybody has an example that I can go by I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

The tutorials are the examples you’re looking for. Here are two for ESPEASY, and one for Tasmota. They may not match exactly to what you’re doing, but they should get you pretty far along.

Here is one example I use with OH3 and ESPEasy

UID: mqtt:topic:homepi:acLivingRoom
label: Air Conditioner Living's Room
thingTypeUID: mqtt:topic
configuration:
  payloadNotAvailable: Connection Lost
  availabilityTopic: GF_Living_Room/status/LWT
  payloadAvailable: Connected
bridgeUID: mqtt:broker:homepi
channels:
  - id: acPower
    channelTypeUID: mqtt:switch
    label: AC Power
    description: null
    configuration:
      commandTopic: GF_Living_Room/ac/settings/cmd
      formatBeforePublish: MitsubishiHP,power,%s
      stateTopic: GF_Living_Room/ac/settings
      transformationPattern: JSONPATH:$.power

Of course you’ll need to adjust the topics, formatBeforePublish, transformationPattern … but should give you the idea how to setup a switch Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you’ll have any additional questions or comments.

1 Like

OMG!!! I got it to works with Tasmota. I now can control my ESP8266 through Google Assistant. THANK YOU SO MUCH! for directing me the right way. It’s Tasmota all the way for now on. I found a tutorial that went through the complete setup with Openhab3 while adding a little tweaking to fit my needs. Thank You and Thank You again. I can now move on in my life (to the next project).

Which Tutorial worked for you? Maybe others can get something out of this, too.

Setting up Tasmota with Openhab3

Installing Tasmota on ESP8266

Apparently the answer is your tutorial, which I linked to in my earlier post. :wink:

1 Like