ESPHome binding for the Native API

i think i miss something essential right now, sorry.
How do i get, to stay with the example, the cannel outside_tempersture in OH.
The auto discovery is not showing it for the created ESPHome Thing.

Add interal: false to the ESPHome config:

sensor:
  - platform: homeassistant
    name: "Outside temperature"
    entity_id: ItemStateChangedEvent.MyTemperatureItem
    device_class: temperature
    internal: false

This basically then means:

1. Listen for OH item state changes for MyTemperatureItem
  2. … and export changes back to OH on channel outside_temperature (that you can link to a different Item - not the same or you will have created a loop)

It does not make much sense to do this unless you are looking to just debug/verify that it works.

I’ve got a few Tuya-based fans I’ve converted to ESPHome firmware. Right now I’m just controlling them through MQTT and that’s working fine, but it would be nice to get them natively supported. They show this message in the logs:

14:42:18.139 [WARN ] [phome.internal.handler.ESPHomeHandler] - [tower-fan-02] Unhandled message of type io.esphome.api.FanStateResponse. This is lack of support in the binding. Content: 'key: 2367400422'.

I wouldn’t mind taking a stab at this myself if I can find some spare time, but I don’t even have a build environment set up yet. In the meantime, any tips on what sort of handler(s) I would need to add and where in order to fully support fans?

EDIT:

I made a stab at it, latest version should have at least some fan support. Feel free to test and give feedback :slight_smile:

Excellent! As I don’t have any fans myself, I have not added support as I cannot test the integration.

1 Like

Thank you for this binding.

I am measuring the water consumption and it works fine. Calculating the total water consumption in OH is not entirely reliable, so I would like to calculate it in the ESP32.

But I am struggling on how to set the total amount of pulses from OH.

Here is the relevant yaml code fragment:

api:
  encryption: 
    key: !secret encryption_key

sensor:
  - platform: pulse_counter
    name: "Waterverbruik"
    id: pulse_counter_id
    pin: 
      number: GPIO5
      mode:
        input: true
        pullup: true
    unit_of_measurement: "l"
    filters:
      - multiply: 0.5       # 2 pulses per liter
    total:
      unit_of_measurement: 'm³'
      name: 'Totaal waterverbruik'
      filters:
        - multiply: 0.0005  # 2000 pulses per m³

name: "Set pulse total count"
    entity_id: ItemStateChangedEvent.esp1WaterSetTotalPulses
    id: totaal
    on_value:
      then:
        - pulse_counter.set_total_pulses:
            value: !lambda 'return id(totaal).state;'

In OH the channel set_pulse_total_count is discovered as a Number. I can then define an item esp1WaterSetTotalPulses.

With the API explorer I can enter a value for the item esp1WaterSetTotalPulses. In the ESP32 the total number of pulses and hence the total water consumption is not set.

I am new to ESPHome. Probably there is something wrong in the platform:homeassistant section.

Found it myself, I was very close:

name: "Set pulse total count"
    entity_id: ItemStateChangedEvent.esp1WaterSetTotalPulses
    on_value:
      then:
        - pulse_counter.set_total_pulses:
            value: !lambda 'return int(x);'

Not clear yet what internal: false means. If it’s not there, the channel is not discovered. If it’s defined, according to what is written above, a loop is created. Does this have negative consequences?

From the Esphome docs:

• internal (Optional, boolean): Mark this component as internal. Internal components will not be exposed to the frontend (like Home Assistant). Only specifying an id without a name will implicitly set this to true.

Can you return empty {} in your lambda to avoid the Esphome device to update the value back to openhab?

I would also consider to store this value in a global variable in Esphome to avoid the Esp to be dependent on OH to get the value on boot? Or just hardcode it on the pulse counter config if it isnt supposed to change?

Ps I have not tested it myself.

@seime hello my friend!
Quick question, have you added compatibility for presence sensors yet? I’m looking at one right now and I was wondering if it would work.

Hi @Pedro_Liberal, I think they would work just fine. Most of the entity types are now supported!

Cheers

1 Like

After all, calculating totals in the ESP does not seem to be a good idea for two reasons:

1. If OH is restarted, the old pulse value count that was once set, is restored from the persistence (restoreonstartup) and written to the ESP. The total is therefore totally wrong. This can be avoided by unlinking channel and item. If you have to send a new value of the pulse value count to the ESP, you have to temporarily link channel and item again.

2. The total in the ESP is stored in volatile memory. After a power outage, the total is reset to 0.

So I prefer to calculate the total with a rule in OH. But after a week or so I see a difference of about 5L with the reading on the water meter. I’ll experiment further with the pulse meter sensor, which works in a different way than the pulse counter sensor.

Anyway, thanks again for this nice binding.

FYI, I’m using LD2410 MM sensor on esp32 and work fine in OH

1 Like

Ah cool! That’s my exact setup :slight_smile: I’ll set it up today and have a go at it.

Thank you for this binding! It works like a charm =)

One thing I was not able to figure out from the README is the server configuration parameter: The thing has a server parameter, in the README it says Expected name of ESPHome. Used to ensure that we're communicating with the correct device. However I do not understand what to put in there.
I tried the name of the ESPHome web interface but then the connection did not come up.
What exactly shall I enter in this field?

Hi @Felix_Schneider , thanks for your kind words.

Use esphome.name value like below:

esphome:
  name: <VALUE_FROM_HERE>
  platform: ESP32
  board: nodemcu-32s
  friendly_name: ...