EspMilightHub new binding for milight limitlessLED and easybulb

That is easily fixed. Watch the event log and learn what HSB value Alexa sends for white. Then enter that into the settings of the binding for the hue and saturation triggers. Both need to match but any brightness value is fine. The default values are for Google home. For more info search this thread for alexa

1 Like

Hi Matt, the case described above make wonder if any relation with a trange weird issue I have from time to time

In fact it happens that after a phisical switch off and a subsquentially On one of my two bulbs installation point turn to red and I have to correct it via phisical device controller.

Perheaps the color RED make me wrong chaining the two problem butā€¦
Whatā€™s your opinion?

btw - We are near to Christmas and I think it right addressing to you my best wishes

If your globes flash red after power cycling the globe it may mean you have un synced the globe from the remote.
If it is more random then Look at getting the nrf radio more power and solder on a capacitor. Search this thread for a post from me with a picture of multiple nrf radios next to each other.

Yeah, itā€™s random but itā€™s not flashing, it simply start with red color
This happen even after resyncing the bulb with the remote
I have to say that the same bulb is paired with more then one remote
I follow every of your post and I felt down with the one talking about different NRF so Iā€™m actually looking at a better choice to buy

Hello

If i wood like to use the milight hub for morning alarm were do
i put the id ,type and so on ?

I have a working hub working whit some e27 and GU10 6w lights bulbs in openhab 2.3
but i wood like to make some more use of the automation funktions

ps :
can i disable a rule in a smart way when holly days (christmas morning :slight_smile: and so on )

```csv
rule "wake up to white light"

when

Time cron "0 27 06 ? * MON-FRI"

then  

milight_ID0x2D661_sendbulbcommand.sendCommand(ON)
 milight_ID0x2D661_colour.sendCommand(100,100,100)

end
items

Switch milight_ID0x2D661_G1_State     "Light On/Off"               {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0x2D661:level"}
Dimmer milight_ID0x2D661_G1_Level     "vaerelse 4"                 {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0x2D661:level"}
Dimmer milight_ID0x2D661_G1_CTemp     "White Color Temp"           {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0x2D661:colourtemperature"}
Color  milight_ID0x2D661_G1_Hue    "vaerelse 4" ["Lighting"]       {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0x2D661:colour"}
String milight_ID0x2D661_G1_Cmd 	    "Command to Send"      {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0x2D661:bulbcommand"}        
Switch milight_ID0x2D661_G1_SndCmd    "Send Command"               {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0x2D661:sendbulbcommand"}   

sitemap

Switch              item=milight_ID0x2D66C1_G1_State
			Slider 	        	item=milight_ID0x2D66C1_G1_Level
			Slider 	           	item=milight_ID0x2D66C1_G1_CTemp
			Colorpicker         item=milight_ID0x2D66C1_G1_Hue

Thanks Matt that sorted it.

The values I needed were 0,100

1 Like

Hi Matt, I recently bought this item below

I notice some overall improvement managing all my 20 bulbs but I wonder if your suggested itead item is representing a much more better choice. In case I found itā€™s still available and Iā€™m considering to buy now.

Also, Iā€™m captured by the original RF idea (present in milight remote), that as you said guaranteed a good performance, but I have not found it yet nowhere

Can you spend some more advice?
Thank

If u can solder they need clean power and the esp8266 boards are choking the current with thin pcb tracks and not much capacitance as well as the cheap NRF boards having no capacitance either. Solder on a tantalum or electrolytic capacitor around 10 to 100uf in size between ground and the 3.3v rail, this really helps out the cheaper boards.

This is probably what the itead version with the lna+pa have done. PCB layout and sheilding are also important to get right.

These boards from sparkfun also look good but have no lna+pa features so not sure on their range. ā€˜IFā€™ they are using genuine ICs they probably have much better range then the knock off ICs. They have the 10uf on board and the multiple vias indicate the layout and shielding is probably better than cheap boards, also note how bold the easy to read the IC printing is compared to any knock off ICs.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/nrf24l01-transceiver-hookup-guide?_ga=2.47574944.628853878.1545949613-1475586622.1545949613

I still need to get my scope out and do some measurements to fine tune mine but since they are working it is low on the to do listā€¦

Settings for the radio tab found in the esp control panel using your browser, mine are:

Packet repeats = 12 (if you only turn 1 globe on or off it uses this value)
Packet repeat throttle threshold= 200
Packet repeat throttle sensitivity = 0
Packet repeat minimum = 8 (When turning multiple globes on and off it will use this value as it throttles the repeats back to reduce latency/delay between each globe)

Only use low repeat values if your hardware is working well, I find the default value of ā€œ3ā€ much too low for the Packet repeat minimum setting, perhaps I need to change my nrf board if others find it works well for them? To set this value make the two repeat settings the same so they are consistant and then see how low you can go and get reliable transmission. Packet repeats and Packet repeats minimum are key settings to play with and start off making them the same value to play with. I am interested to hear what others find they can lower theirs to.

Not a simply advice but a real detailed explanation, thank you Sir.
Configuring whole appartment based on this platform needs serious analysis and the right components choices
Thatā€™s where your informations like your sw building effort is so usefull
Really I donā€™t exactly know how to support this kind of stuff and I ask you: any paypall account to address a little chip for you?

In case anyone doing this finds they need extra power for the NRF24L01 antenna but are unsure of how to do it.

An easy way is to use one of the following - (Note I have read the some NodeMCU boards donā€™t fit but I have not seen this);

Testing Board

It takes a standard 5.5 x 2.1 mm DC power supply or you can get a usb to 5.5x2.1 lead and use that with a usb charger.

Its extra cost but easy.

That board uses a switch mode design with next to no output capacitance unless that black device is a cap and the diode is built into the small IC. If there is no decent cap The output will most likely be noisy and not good for rf. More power is only half the issue, it needs to be clean smooth stable power. Perhaps I am wrong as I have not tried the board, so if you actually have it working with very low rf repeat values please let me know what you have found and what the black device is if it is a diode or a cap.

Always great to know these boards exist so thanks for posting as it may fit another project I am working on.

I have to sayā€¦ this combined with the esp8266 mod is pretty awesome.

I seem to have things mostly functioning. My ESP8266 milight bridge is working as expected. I have setup MQTT and milight binding, as well as mosquitto.

ESP hub binding is online.

I have mosquitto_sub showing milight states when I hit remote as well as within ESP web admin.

Butā€¦When I scan for globes/new things. openHab is not finding anything.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

there are no errors in the log just:

02:28:04.543 [INFO ] [nternal.EspMilightHubDiscoveryService] - EspMilightHubDiscoveryService is now looking for new things

1. Make sure that MQTT has persistence enabled, this means when you first connect it will spit out all the current states of the globes. You should see this happening when you use the mosquitto_sub command.
  2. Triple check you have setup the firmware of the esp8266 correctly by following carefully the info in post 2ā€¦

Persistence is enabled. I see the mosquitto.db file being updated when i run mosquitto -c /etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf I have it set to update the persitence db file every minute and it appears to be doing soā€¦

Although, and I canā€™t be sure, as I canā€™t open the file, but it does not appear to be growing in size, as mosquitto reports new incoming messages from remotes.

I can also see that the milight binding connect to mosquitto via the mosquitto log
New client connected from x.x.x.x:xxxx as espMilightHub:Auto001 When I search for new things.

I suspect that the .db is empty??? Is there a way to ensure that the info recieved by mosquitto is being written to the mosquitto.db Iā€™m thinking they are not, and perhaps I missed something setting it up and the .db does not have any info for the milightHub binding to retrieve.

I also noteā€¦Things are mostly working. I have to manually add things/items, then I added a widget on the UI, I have added a On/off, hue and dimmer for an RGBW light. The on/off works well, and updates the UI if I use the UI or the remote. The hue and dimmer seem a slight bit wonky though, as the hue does not update on the UI if I change it on the remote, nor does the dimmer. The dimmer works in the UI, but as soon as the level is set the UI, pops up to 100% (although the light stays at the level set)

Hey folks. Iā€™m a bit confused on how to send a preset color to a bulb. I have added a couple of items just to test out, but not sure how to specifically set the command to send.

String Milight_Cmd 	    "Command to Send"      {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0xXXXX:bulbcommand"}
Switch Milight_SndCmd    "Send Command" 		   {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0xXXXX:sendbulbcommand"}

I do see a result in mosquitto

milight/commands/0xXXXX/rgbw/1 {"command":"OFF"}
milight/commands/0xXXXX/rgbw/1 {"command":"ON"}

I obviously need to set the command to be sent somehow, but Iā€™ve perused the thread a bit, but wasnā€™t able to find what I was looking for. (PS. this thread is really long, so itā€™s difficult to find what I am looking for, so apologies if this issue has been addressed)

Thanks much B :slight_smile:

Yes forget about the command to send, it is more advanced and not needed for nowā€¦

If using manual text items filesā€¦

Color  Milight_Hue    "Front Hall" ["Lighting"] {channel="espmilighthub:rgbw:001:0xEC591:colour"}

This will allow you to control the globe via google home or alexa. It can change the colour of the globe and you also use this channel if wanting to do it via a rule.

I also recommend you search this thread for info on how to set the saturation threshold for triggering the globe back to white as that will be your next question.

Yeah, I got that part, I had set up a Color item earlier, but from what I see, is that this creates a color picker, which works great.

Perhaps Iā€™m missing something though, or not understanding you. What Iā€™m hoping to do is create a simple button, that can send a preset color to a bulb, without a color picker.

So If I have a simple button, that sets a light to a pre-defined RGB color/level. like a ā€œblue buttonā€ or a ā€œred buttonā€ that sends to a specific bulb.

I would create a virtual button and then use it to trigger a rule. In that rule use this line to send the desired colour in HSB format.

Milight_Hue.sendCommand(100,100,100)

to go back to white it is as easy asā€¦

Milight_Hue.sendCommand(36,32,100)

@vzorglub

I have started updating the readme here, if anyone wishes to contribute content and examples then feel free to do a PR and I can accept them and then proof read and make further changes until we have a better collection for people to follow. I plan to do this slowly over time as people ask questions.

1 Like