Eurotronic Spirit Z-Wave errors

Can I suggest let’s keep the discussion here. The other thread seems to be talking about serial port problems and other issues -we’ll end up going backwards if we’re not careful and mixing up a lot of issues.

@chris I will double check it in a few hours and let you know. Also have no issue leaving our conversation here, I just thought it was the same issue based on what I read. I’ll try again tonight and report back.

@chris I updated the binding to the latest.

openhab> bundle:list | grep ZWave
181 │ Installed │  80 │ 2.4.0.201807242215     │ ZWave Binding

I also sent you a PM with the entire log file. I didn’t see the same message but also don’t see anything that strikes me as odd.

Installed is not what you want, the binding must be Active.
Check if you have two bindings installed or did not uninstall the old one properly.

Ok now you got me. I didn’t realize that. So the old binding file was deleted from the add-ons folder and the new one was downloaded. I then stopped and started openhab2. Will look around for documentation on how to make sure it’s active. Hopefully that’s my error then. The weird thing is that everything else is working. I’ll report back.

Ok that wasn’t it, I just checked again and it is Active. I must have copied and pasted that before the restart of openhab after deleting old binding. But I am glad you brought that up because all I was focused on was the files date.

openhab> bundle:list | grep ZWave                     181 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.4.0.201807242215     │ ZWave

Well spotted!

The log doesn’t seem to have so much. It shows the initialisation is ok -:

2018-07-24 22:33:14.035 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 71: Initialising state channel zwave:device:51324ebd:node71:thermostat_setpoint_heating for QuantityType

However I don’t see any commands either to or from the device - this is all I see in the log -:

I was expecting to see the device complete initialisation, and for you to change the temperature (or something), but I don’t see this.

So, when you say that this version didn’t work - what exactly did, or didn’t work?

Hey Chris, sorry thought you just wanted to see the initialization part and failed to try toggling the setpoints up and down. The only thing that does not work is sending commands to either the heating or cooling setpoints from any OH Interface. I missed trying to send a command after the reboot. I will do this again tonight. I agree that looking through the initialization routine looks good. My sitemap all works except when I call it up, the setpoints are both empty. I can go up and down on the setpoints but nothing happenes.

Hey dumb question, I see what you posted and it looks like you have a parser for the data. Is that available for me to use as well? What tool is that? Either way I will try to send you a log with what you need tonight.

Ok Chris just sent you an email with updated log that includes me toggling both cooling and heating setpoints.

@chris now I am really confused. After I did my reboot to get you the log, it seems that the setpoints are now changing the thermostat values which is good. They aren’t updating on my sitemap however and when I refresh the sitemap, they are just empty. I was missing the tags I use to save persistence from when I deleted and re-added the things / items. I added those back and persistence is working but I still can’t see it in my sitemap. The value comes up when I hit the + or - but when I refresh the page it is gone.

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/openhab/zwave-log-viewer

This looks like a problem with your sitemap definition, not the zwave binding.
Delete all entries and just put the setpoint items in there …

Sorry - maybe that’s what I asked for. The initialisation looked ok (no warnings etc).

Do you mean when you update the thermostat manually, it’s not updating the value in the sitemap? Is the thermostat sending anything when you change the temperature on the device itself? I’ll take a look at the log shortly, but if it doesn’t have this, in it, it would be good to get a log showing what is received.

Ok maybe this will help clear up. This is what my sitemap always looks like now.

I can hit up and down arrows on setpoonts and the thermostat will respond now by updating accordingly.

If I go to the thermostat and change the setpoints there, I also do not see any changes in the sitemap. HabPanel is updating correctly.

My feeling is that this is a sitemap or UI problem. Do you have the ZWave log at the time this is done so we can see what actually makes it to the binding?

Again, this must be a UI issue - if HABpanel works, then obviously the binding must be working. The binding knows nothing about sitemaps, or items - it simply passes the data into the channels. If it’s working for one UI, then I don’t think it can be an issue with the binding.

Agree 100% unfortunately this is looking more and more like I have something wrong. I will keep digging, I just created a sitemap with only the AC stuff and it is not working there either. It is a very basic one so I will play around and see what I find.

sitemap default label="AC" {

Frame label="Honeywell Thermostat"{
				Text item=HoneywellThermostat_SensorTemperature label="Thermostat Temperature"
				Selection item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatOperatingState mappings=[0="Idle",1="Heating",2="Cooling",3="Fan Only",4="Pending Heat",5="Pending Cool",6="Vent Economizer"]
				Setpoint item=HoneywellThermostat_SetpointCooling
				Setpoint item=HoneywellThermostat_SetpointHeating label="heat" icon="heating" minValue=40 maxValue=80 step=1
				Switch item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatMode label="Thermostat Mode" mappings=[0="Off",1="Heat",2="Cool",3="Auto"]
				Switch item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatFanMode label="Thermostat Fan Mode" mappings=[0="Auto",1="On",6="Circulate"]
				Selection item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatFanState mappings=[0="Idle",1="Running",2="Running High"]
				Switch item=AC_Cool_It label="Cool It"
			}
}

Chris that last log I sent you has me toggling the arrows up and down a few times on each of the setpoints towards the very end.

I created the sitemap with only the one setpoint and it is still empty so I don’t believe its the sitemap. Must be something else happening…

I think its specific to Basic UI. I am getting weird behaviors. I tried setting up a Slider instead of a setpoint and on my chrome browser, it shows about 3/4 of the way to the right which makes sense because it’s set at 75.

If I look at the source of the page, I confirmed that it also says 75.0.

Now check out the source of the webpage on this…

For the slider…

<input 
			data-freq="200" 
			data-state="75"
			class="mdl-slider mdl-js-slider" 
			type="range"  
			min="0" 
			max="100" 
			tabindex="0"
			value="0"
		/>

Now for the Setpoint… ( I think this is part of why iots not working… What is that data-value shouldnt that just be 75?)

<div 
		class="mdl-form__control mdl-form__setpoint" 
		data-control-type="setpoint" 
		data-item="HoneywellThermostat_SetpointCooling"
		data-max="80"
		data-min="40"
		data-step="1"
		data-value="75+%C2%B0F"
		data-unit="°F"
		data-widget-id="01"
	>

Interesting…

In this log, it this shows that the command does make it to the binding, but the binding is not sending it to the device. I can’t be 100% sure why - it looks like there is a lot of other activity going on with secure transactions, and these always take priority as they have time dependancies. Once this subsides (it looks like it’s part of the initialisation) I guess it goes back to normal. We can see though that the commands are received in the binding, and added to the queue - it’s just that the binding is busy with other devices, so it hasn’t been sent.

@chris looks like we might have been typing at the same time. See my previous post. What do you think about that? Also I just noticed that when I update from PaperUI it works and shows the correct value but if I refresh the Basic UI it shows me this “+%C2%B0F” after the temperature. This is so weird… Can’t wrap my head around it.

Alright folks feeling kind of dumb right about now… I am not sure why it worked before and not now, but by forcing a label on my setpoint it seems to be working. I will test out a few more days and report if anything changes.

Here is what I changed in my sitemap…

I went from this…

Selection item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatOperatingState mappings=[0="Idle",1="Heating",2="Cooling",3="Fan Only",4="Pending Heat",5="Pending Cool",6="Vent Economizer"]
				Setpoint item=HoneywellThermostat_SetpointCooling  icon="heating" minValue=40 maxValue=90 step=1.0
				Setpoint item=HoneywellThermostat_SetpointHeating  icon="heating" minValue=40 maxValue=90 step=1.0
				Switch item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatMode label="Thermostat Mode" mappings=[0="Off",1="Heat",2="Cool",3="Auto"]
				Switch item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatFanMode label="Thermostat Fan Mode" mappings=[0="Auto",1="On",6="Circulate"]
				Selection item=HoneywellThermostat_ThermostatFanState mappings=[0="Idle",1="Running",2="Running High"]
			}

To this…

Setpoint item=HoneywellThermostat_SetpointCooling label="Cooling Setpoint: [%.1f °F]" icon="heating" minValue=40 maxValue=90 step=1.0
				Setpoint item=HoneywellThermostat_SetpointHeating label="Heating Setpoint: [%.1f °F]" icon="heating" minValue=40 maxValue=90 step=1.0
			}

I can confirm i have the exact same behaviour:

• using multiple eurotronic z-wave thermostats
  • currently on Openhab 2.4.0 build #1345
  • My thermostats were working just fine last winter (still on 2.3.0 release)
  • Now, after updating to 2.4.0, they refuse to work
  • i had to add labels to the setpoints on my sitemap to get them working again

Items look like (already have a label in the item definition):

Dimmer ThermostatBathroomValve			"Klepstand [%s %%]"					<radiator>			{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:switch_dimmer"}
Number ThermostatBathroomTemp			"Huidige temperatuur [%.2f °C]"		<temperature>		{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:sensor_temperature"}
Number ThermostatBathroomMode			"Modus [%s]"						<flow>				{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:thermostat_mode"}
Number ThermostatBathroomSetpoint		"Setpoint [%.1f °C]"				<temperature>		{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:thermostat_setpoint_heating"}
Number ThermostatBathroomSetpointEco	"Setpoint Eco [%.1f °C]"			<temperature>		{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:thermostat_setpoint_heating_econ"}
Switch ThermostatBathroomAlarmSystem	"Alarm System [%s]"					<siren>				{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:alarm_system"}
Switch ThermostatBathroomAlarmPower		"Alarm Power [%s]"					<siren>				{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:alarm_power"}
Number ThermostatBathroomBattery		"Thermostaat Badkamer [%s %%]"		<battery>		(gBatteryAll)		{channel="zwave:device:b60b4aff:node59:battery-level"}

My old sitemap definition (causing the thermostat setpoints NOT to work):

Setpoint item=ThermostatBathroomSetpoint 
			Setpoint item=ThermostatBathroomSetpointEco 

My new sitemap definition (causing the thermostat setpoints to work):

Setpoint item=ThermostatBathroomSetpoint label="Heating Setpoint: [%.1f °C]"
			Setpoint item=ThermostatBathroomSetpointEco label="Eco Setpoint: [%.1f °C]"

Very strange behaviour but it does resolve my problem with the Thermostat setpoints not working

Without the labels added to the sitemap, my openhab.log also shows the following entry after changing the setpoint:

018-10-09 21:21:41.729 [WARN ] [ore.internal.thing.ThingTypeResource] - Cannot find channel type: zwave:sensor_report

@Kai @chris I would be very curious to know what is causing this. Do you have any insights on what might be causing this?