executeCommandLine on a Windows machine

Because when you do an “echo” command from the windows command prompt, it’s executed by the running shell.

In my experience, when you want to call echo from a program you usually have to pass this to the OS:

cmd /c echo hi there

1 Like

Hello!

I’m using executeCommandLine on Windows, and it works without issues. Do you have path to “head.exe” in your System variables -> Path? Maybe you should try to call it with a full path instead:

val input = executeCommandLine(“C:\\head\\head@@-n@@1@@openhabinput.txt”, 1000)

for example (you should, of course, change C:\\head\\ to the actual path of head.exe executable).

Best regards,
Davor

Thanks for the help.
I’ve copied head.exe into the top level of my OS partition. And I’ve been trying some variations but I am still unable to read from or write to files.

Here is what my rule now looks like:

//Turn on the wemo mini switch when openhab2 launches
rule "1st rule"

when
	System started
then
	executeCommandLine ("cmd echo this is a test > openhaboutput.txt")//no error but no file appears
	val input = executeCommandLine("C:\\head@@-n@@1@@openhabinput.txt", 1000)//no errors reported but the if clause below doesn't fire
	if (input.contains("lights")) { 
		Switch1_state.sendCommand(ON)
	}
end

The rule loads and executes without reporting an error. However, even though The log file includes the report:
[INFO ] [lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - executed commandLine 'cmd echo this is a test > openhaboutput.txt’
no file is written.
Also, the “if” clause is not satisfied (the switch does not turn on)

1. can you see anything else that might be wrong?
  2. I am still trying to understand the debugging and tracing tools. In the meantime is there something quick I can do to examine the value of input? (Something similar to Java System.out.format or System.out.print)
  3. would I have a better chance of success by using the “output” channel of the Exec binding or is that the same as using the executeCommandLine action?
    Regards,
    Joe

I am using the exec binding under Windows, but I found that often it helps to just call a .bat file with the binding and then put the rest of commands in the .bat file. Maybe it is worth to give it a try?

1 Like

There really aren’t any.

https://docs.openhab.org/administration/logging.html#create-log-entries-in-rules

The Exec binding and executeCommandLine are completely separate. I don’t think there is a significant difference between the two approaches. Since you are using executeCommandLine now, stick with it. Don’t change at this point.

I’m still struggling. I’ve been trying many many variations on using executeCommandLine (batch files, DOS commands, Windows Shell, head etc.). No errors are being reported and the executeCommandLine command is being logged as having run. BUT I still am not able to either read from or write to files!
It would help me IMMENSELY if someone who is using executeCommandLine on a Windows platform could post a piece of their actual code, for example some rule they are using. I must be overlooking something.
Thanks in advance,
Joe
PS-if I can get this to work I think I am home free, for the time being, in having openhab do what I need it to do.

The excellent article on exec debugging suggests trying to log the output returned from the command:

val results = executeCommandLine("/bin/echo@@'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.'", 5000)
logInfo("execTest", results)

I’m still trying (unsuccessfully) to read from a file.
I’m trying to debug the executeCommandLine action using the documentation here:
https://community.openhab.org/t/how-to-solve-exec-binding-problems/18131
in the following rule, the switch does not turn on.

rule "first rule"

when
	System started
then
//	val input = "the lights need adjustment"//this works fine
	val input = executeCommandLine("C:\\head@@-n@@1@@openhabinput.txt", 5000)//no errors, but the switch does not turn on
	logDebug("testExec", input)

if (input.contains("lights")) {
	}
end

Also, I don’t see any debugging information!
Am I understanding the documentation correctly? I uninstalled the Exec bindings.
I wasn’t sure what to put for the 1st argument of logDebug. In addition to “testExec” I tried the name of the rule and the name of the .rules file. Didn’t make any difference.
I also used the console “log” command to change the log level to DEBUG. This produced a very large amount of output into the log file but there was no reporting of the value of “input”.
Regards,
Joe

Where is the txt file? You may need to use the full path for it as well. I’m not sure what directory this runs from.

You should review the logging section of the docs.

It shows the name of the package to set for logging (org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script), along with examples.

I am still trying unsuccessfully to get executeCommandLine to work.
I have started a new topic to get help in debug logging within rules:
https://community.openhab.org/t/debug-logging-in-rules/38764
In the meantime, I have found a (pretty crude) workaround that enables me to control the openhab application from other programs, possibly running on another computer:
For each operation I want openhab2 to perform, I have a rule file which I keep in a directory outside of the rules folder. For example, the following rule file named “switch1_state_on.rules”

//or when this file is modified or loaded
rule "switch1_state_on"

when
	System started
then

end

The other application simply runs a batch file that copies this rule file into the openhab rules folder where it immediately triggers.

Hello!

Since you need these files to interact with OH from external applications, have you considered using REST API? If the interaction consists of item’s postUpdate and sendCommand, this would be the easiest way to achieve this.

Best regards,
Davor

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that.
Regards,
Joe

Hi Joseph !

I am also running OpenHAB2 on a Windows 7 machine (ZOTAC Nano CI320) and I have many rules with executeCommandLine without any problem.

I tried to reproduce your use case :

rule "Un test"
when
    System started
then
    val input = executeCommandLine("C:\\OH_utils\\head@@-n@@1@@C:\\OH_utils\\essai.txt", 1000)
    logInfo("DEBUG", "From essai.txt : " + input)
    if (input.contains("first")) logInfo("DEBUG", "the line contains <first> !")
end

It works fine with this output in openhab.log :

2018-01-16 10:56:29.784 [INFO ] [eclipse.smarthome.model.script.DEBUG] - From essai.txt : This is the first line of my file...
2018-01-16 10:56:29.792 [INFO ] [eclipse.smarthome.model.script.DEBUG] - the line contains <first> !

I don’t understand why it does not work for you. Just one point : essai.txt is in the same directory as head.exe, but if I don’t use the full path of essai.txt, I get an error.

To be sure of your setup, have you tried a very simple rule as :

executeCommandLine("notepad.exe")

Best regards.

1 Like

``Hi Alain,
Thanks very much for the help. Unfortunately, I still can’t get it to work!!
I copied your rule and pasted into my rules file. I created a directory at C:\OH_utils and put head.exe and esai.txt into this directory.
I must have checked my directories and entries at least 10 times. When I run the program, the log file doesn’t report any error but here is the logging output:

2018-01-17 14:09:20.324 [INFO ] [eclipse.smarthome.model.script.DEBUG] - From essai.txt : 

I did create a rule with

executeCommandLine("notepad.exe")

and it pops up a notepad exactly as expected

I am going to leave this alone for a while since I do have my workaround. When openhab works it’s really a wonderful program. But when I find myself banging my head against something that should be straightforward (which I often do) I have to go off and calm down. :grin:

Once again, thanks for the help.
Regards,
Joe

Seriously?! WHERE IS THE .TXT FILE?!

Use the full path to your txt file like @renstat did. Let us know.

Serious as a heart attack.
Here is my rule.

//Working rule copied from the forum advice
rule "Un test"
when
    System started
then
    val input = executeCommandLine("C:\\OH_utils\\head@@-n@@1@@C:\\OH_utils\\essai.txt", 1000)
    logInfo("DEBUG", "From essai.txt : " + input)
    if (input.contains("first")) logInfo("DEBUG", "the line contains <first> !")
end

As I stated in my previous post, I copied and pasted the rule from above , created a directory C:\OH_utils\ and in that directory I put head.exe and essai.txt . essai.txt contains a single line:

This is the first line in my file

I will not be surprised if the problem in hindsight turns out to be something simple and obvious. But I sure can’t see it.
Regards,
Joe

Hi Joe,

Perhaps an explanation !

After some research, I realized that there are several versions of head.exe for Windows hanging around on the web.
Some, as this one : http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, are self-contained (no emulation layer) and have no dependencies.
Other, as this one http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm, are built on Cygwin or Mingw and require some DLL (such as iconv-x, intl-x, depending on versions). If you run the second category on the command line you get a Windows error box reclaiming these DLL (if they are not already in the same directory).

And when you run OpenHAB-executeCommandLine with the second category, it remains silent but you get no result !

The test of my first message was made with a utility of the first category which was sitting on my PC. I tried with one of the second category and had the same result as you !

I suspect you used one of the second category and as you copied head.exe “into the top level of your OS partition”, or in OH_utils, you lost the DLLs on the way.

Have a try with head.exe from http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ and I am pretty sure it will be a success !

Regards,

Alain

2 Likes

Hi Alain,
blessings upon your head.

2018-01-19 18:33:40.772 [INFO ] [eclipse.smarthome.model.script.DEBUG] - From essai.txt : This is the first line in my file
2018-01-19 18:33:40.774 [INFO ] [eclipse.smarthome.model.script.DEBUG] - the line contains <first> !

Regards,
Joe

Does notepad actually pop up with a form? I see executeCommandLine started the notepad process, but it is not visible on the screen… I wonder if have OH configured to start with the wrong user?