Expire binding disconnects Aeotec Z-Wave stick

Hi,

I have a problem that the Expire binding causes my z-wave stick to go offline. When I try to uninstall the binding, everything works as expected, but as soon as I reinstall it. Everything works a day or two and then the controller goes offline. I have to reboot the rPi to get it up again.

My zwave log file is here: https://gofile.io/d/wajzlN

This is my items using the binding:

Switch              GasspeisON                          "Gasspeis På"   {expire="1s,command=OFF"}
Switch              GasspeisOFF                         "Gasspeis Av"   {expire="1s,command=OFF"}
Switch              GasspeisPilot                       "Gasspeis Lav"
Switch              GasspeisMaksFlamme                  "Gasspeis Høy"
Switch start_gasspeis                                   "Gasspeis start" {expire="5s,command=OFF"}
Switch stop_gasspeis                                    "Gasspeis stopp" {expire="5s,command=OFF"}

this is my rules:

rule "Gasspeis På"
when
    Item GasspeisON received update

then {
        GasspeisRele1SwitchBinary.sendCommand(GasspeisON.getStateAs(OnOffType))
        GasspeisRele3SwitchBinary.sendCommand(GasspeisON.getStateAs(OnOffType)) 
    }
end

rule "Gasspeis AV"
when
    Item GasspeisOFF received update

then {
        GasspeisRele1SwitchBinary.sendCommand(GasspeisOFF.getStateAs(OnOffType))
        GasspeisRele2SwitchBinary.sendCommand(GasspeisOFF.getStateAs(OnOffType))
        GasspeisRele3SwitchBinary.sendCommand(GasspeisOFF.getStateAs(OnOffType))
    }
end

rule "Gasspeis lav"
when
    Item GasspeisPilot received update 

then {
    GasspeisRele3SwitchBinary.sendCommand(GasspeisPilot.getStateAs(OnOffType))
    }
end

rule "Gasspeis høy"
when
    Item GasspeisMaksFlamme received update

then {
    GasspeisRele1SwitchBinary.sendCommand(GasspeisMaksFlamme.state)
    }
end

Thanks !

You do not say what version of openHAB you are running. If you are running 2.5 or newer after an upgrade and you have an invalid addon in your configuration, all addons, including zwave, reload every minute trying to load the invalid one.

Check the file /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/addons.config. Post here if you need assistance.

Hi, sorry. Im on a fresh install of 2.5.2-1.

This is the content of my addons file:

:org.apache.felix.configadmin.revision:=L"22"
binding="zwave,astro,openweathermap,feed,sonos,weather1,weatherunderground,mqtt,expire1,exec"
misc="openhabcloud"
package="standard"
persistence="influxdb,mapdb"
service.pid="org.openhab.addons"
transformation="exec,map"
ui="dashboard,basic,paper,habpanel,homebuilder,habmin"

OK that looks good to me. I have not had that happen. The current openHAB version is 2.5.4-1, I believe.

The expire1 binding should not affect the serial port or zwave binding.
What OS & hardware are you running OH on?

Using rPi 4 with openhabian and zwave stick on USB hub.

I believe the z-stick on an rpi4 needs a USB2 hub in between because the stick incorrectly says it supports USB3.

Thanks! I do have a USB2 hub in between there. What is strange is that it works good without the binding installed. And as soon as I install the binding it crashed in one day or so.

Tried changing the port on the Rpi to USB3 one, but same problem persists. :confused:

It’s really unlikely to be the expire binding itself; it hasn’t changed in years and is used extensively.
It could be to do with the other actions in your configuration that expire triggers - rules, timers, etc. That is very difficult to pin down, and there certainly isn’t enough info here yet to know where to start.

Hi, thanks for your answer. I posted all my items and rules that have anything to do with the binding. What more could I provide ? Any other logfiles ?

Well, anything in openhab.log showing what happens to your zwave Thing would be a start. It probably a timeout or something, but let’s see.

Any other observations, sluggish responding system, actions missed etc.?

Some events.log showing how your Gasspeisxxxx Items interact would be helpful, we’ve no idea what your Items and rules are about.

Because your rules are triggered from update (not change) and commands may be issued where not needed (e.g. command ON but already ON) I can see there is opportunity for creating a loop. But that would depend on device behaviour that I cannot see.

Ok, thanks! I will get that as soon as possible. Thank you so much so far. :slight_smile:

Hi again ! I did some digging in the log files and from the events, I got this:

2020-06-10 08:45:34.557 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:c5ab40da' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist

I checked the z-wave log file, and something certainly happened at 08:45, but Im not sure what. Logfile available at:

https://gofile.io/d/uHvBYT

Thank you so much! :slight_smile: