EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS on OH2

Hello, using rPi with the latest openhabian image. Everything has been running fine until last night. We had a power surge, and now for some reason my ACM0 port is no longer recognized. I cannot enable this in the openhabian-config. I do not remember, via samba how to access the extra ports so I can re-enable the port. Please help.

That’s because you can’t do it through samba. You need to ssh to the machine. You can look in /dev to see if that device still appears.

A power surge can be quite destructive to an RPi and devices connected to the RPi. When an RPi loses power, it’s possible for the file system to become corrupted. If it was a surge, parts of the RPi and anything connected to the RPi might have become damaged.

Safely power it down. Unplug the devices. Start everything back up. If it doesn’t come back the way it was you can either spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out what is going wrong only to discover you need to restore from a backup or rebuild from scratch if you don’t have backups, or you may as well restore now and see if that fixes the problem.

Luckily, I do have backups…nvm…pulled everything, restarted, good to go…I freaked out because it controls my boss’s entire showroom.

Would be a good idea to put that RPi on some sort of UPS then to avoid this sort of corruption in the future. It could be as simple as a backup battery or something that integrates with the RPi and automatically shuts it down nicely when the battery is about to run out.

A surge protector would be a good idea too.

Clean and uninterrupted power is important to keep an RPi happy and healthy.

I couldn’t say exactly what happened but if the surge caused the USB device to go offline and then come back but the rest of the RPi wasn’t really effected, it might have appeared to it that the USB device was unplugged and replugged in. Because OH was running at the time, /dev/ACM0 had a lock on it so the device came back as /dev/ACM1.

Great advise sir!

:grinning: