Fail to boot after openHABian update

I have just updated my RPI3 running openHAB 2.0 stable with openHABian and it now fails to boot.

This is the end of the console log:

Setting up libraspberrypi0 (1.20170427-1~nokernel1) ...
Setting up libraspberrypi-bin (1.20170427-1~nokernel1) ...
Setting up raspi-config (20170503) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.120+deb8u3) ...
ln: failed to create hard link ‘/boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-1-rpi2.dpkg-bak’ => ‘/boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-1-rpi2’: Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-1-rpi2
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u9) ...
Processing triggers for ca-certificates (20141019+deb8u3) ...
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs... 0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d....done.
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
[master e8f193b] committing changes in /etc after apt run
 Author: pi <pi@openHABianPi>
 3 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 25 deletions(-)##################################################################################################################.]
Updating FireMotD available updates count ...
OK

I guess the “failed to create hard link” is a clue :slight_smile: but it doesn’t mean much to me.
Does anyone have a way to recover?

I updated my OH unstable yesterday and it won’t boot either. Will try to reinstall everything tonight after I backup configuration.

I have had to do the same - onto a clean SD card with the latest “openhabianpi-raspbian” image.
I clearly need a better backup strategy, because even though I backup the openhab conf and userdata, there’s a pile of other things like Grafana/InfluxDB settings, a Python server I run for WirelessTags, MQTT, etc. etc.
This is all made much easier by the brilliant openHABian, but it still took a good few hours, but I’m up and running again.

@DavidR and @antonh,
this seems to be an issue with the ua-netinst based openHABian image. If you followed the changelog for openHABian, you know that we’ve recently moved our focus on a Raspbian based version because of a few problems ua-netinst created. A few days ago a new apt update started to create the mentioned boot problem. Please see here for the solution: https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/issues/147#issuecomment-306933188
The fix will bring your Linux system back up but I’d recommend everyone to switch over to the raspbian image soon. I’ll be releasing a new openHABian version in the next two weeks but it won’t include anything worth waiting for. Do your backups now just to be safe.

Good luck!

1 Like

hi tom.
Thanks for your update.
Just for clarification purposes - I’m not a linux pro: I’ve used the openhabian image to install RP3 and since then just used the update functionality in the obenhabian config menu. Can I expect that this update procedure will in the future work again or do I have to change something manually?
At the moment I can restore the RP3 with a January copy of the SD card I did with “pi filler”.
Thanks for helping.
Simon

That’s a bit unclear at the moment. The problem leading to this error seems to be a bug in the package that is being updated. Maybe this will be fixed tomorrow or never. You can restore your backup but should better not do an “Upgrade”/apt upgrade for now. You could however also follow the instructions behind the link to get your current system up and running again or to at least get your configuration files.
In the long run I’d suggest to switch over to the raspbian base system image.

Thanks for the feedback again. Just red https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases
How can I migrate my 1.0-ish backed up system to 1.2?
Is there a easy to understand guide available?
Thanks a lot in advance for your patience!

Thanks for your answer! I’ve backed up userdata and config files and will migrate to raspbian image. Fun night :slight_smile:

I did see that thread but it was a bit too technical for me. I try to keep up with the various threads on the forum, but it’s a little overwhelming. I really appreciate you taking the time (how do you do that!) to reply. My home is back to its magical automation thanks to you and the others in the community. Thank you.

1 Like