Fail to start openhab2 after openhab-cli clean-cache

Hello,

actually my openhab isn’t starting after i have run the clean-cache function.

openhab-cli clean-cache

I do that because there was unresponsive things in the paper ui and i couldn’t remove it.

But now i geht the following error message in the event.logs from openhab2.

> **[ERROR] **
> **core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - **
> **Failed installing 'openhab-misc-market,openhab-transformation-javascript, openhab-binding-caldav-command1, openhab-ui-habpanel, **
> **openhab-binding-weatherunderground, openhab-binding-mqtt1, openhab-persistence-rrd4j, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-transformation-map,**
> **openhab-binding-fritzboxtr0641, openhab-binding-caldav-personal1, openhab-ui-habmin, openhab-binding-homematic,**
> **openhab-action-mqtt, openhab-binding-knx, openhab-ui-paper': **
> 
> **Unable to resolve root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-ui-paper; type=karaf.feature; **
> ** version="[2.4.0.SNAPSHOT,2.4.0.SNAPSHOT]"; filter:="(&(osgi.identity=openhab-ui-paper)**
> ** (type=karaf.feature)(version>=2.4.0.SNAPSHOT)(version<=2.4.0.SNAPSHOT))**
> ** "[caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-ui-paper/2.4.0.SNAPSHOT: missing requirement [openhab-ui-paper/2.4.0.SNAPSHOT]**
> ** osgi.identity; osgi.identity=esh-ui-paper; type=karaf.feature **
> ** **
> ** [caused by: Unable to resolve esh-ui-paper/0.10.0.SNAPSHOT: missing requirement [esh-ui-paper/0.10.0.SNAPSHOT] osgi.identity;**
> ** osgi.identity=org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper; type=osgi.bundle; version="[0.10.0.201811071908,0.10.0.201811071908]"; **
> ** resolution:=mandatory **
> ** **
> ** [caused by: Unable to resolve org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper/0.10.0.201811071908: missing requirement **
> ** [org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper/0.10.0.201811071908]**
> ** osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(osgi.wiring.package=org.eclipse.smarthome.io.http)"]]]**

It would be great if anyone has an idea or hint to solve the Problem.
Many thanks in advance
Christian

I’m having the same issue, after having manually deleted the cache and tmp files.

Any ideas on how to fix?

can you post some logs and the output of the following commands:

ls -al /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/
ls -al /var/lib/openhab2/cache/
    pi@rpi3:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp $ ls -al /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/
    total 64
    drwxr-xr-x  6 openhab openhab 32768 Nov 14 22:08 .
    drwxr-xr-x 13 openhab openhab  4096 Oct 31 12:45 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  2 openhab openhab  4096 Nov 14 21:30 bundles
    drwxr-xr-x  2 openhab openhab  4096 Nov 14 21:30 instances
    drwxr-xr-x  2 openhab openhab  4096 Nov 14 21:30 kar
    -rw-r--r--  1 openhab openhab     5 Nov 14 22:01 karaf.pid
    -rw-r--r--  1 openhab openhab     0 Nov 14 21:30 lock
    drwxr-xr-x  5 openhab openhab  4096 Nov 14 21:40 mvn
    -rw-r--r--  1 openhab openhab     5 Nov 14 22:01 port
    pi@rpi3:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp $ ls -al /var/lib/openhab2/cache/
    total 368
    drwxr-xr-x   4 openhab openhab  12288 Nov 14 22:01 .
    dr 

wxr-xr-x  13 openhab openhab   4096 Oct 31 12:45 ..
    -rw-r--r--   1 openhab openhab 338211 Nov 14 21:28 1542202897927.log
    -rw-r--r--   1 openhab openhab    639 Nov 14 22:00 1542231005262.log
    -rw-r--r--   1 openhab openhab   4986 Nov 14 22:08 1542232858619.log
    drwxr-xr-x   3 openhab openhab   4096 Nov 14 22:00 org.eclipse.core.runtime
    drwxr-xr-x 197 openhab openhab   4096 Nov 14 22:01 org.eclipse.osgi

and the main error in the log

2018-11-14 22:06:51.387 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-hue, op enhab-persistence-mapdb, openhab-binding-nest1, openhab-binding-exec, openhab-binding-gpio, openhab-binding-nest, o penhab-binding-network, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-misc-hueemulation, openhab-bindi ng-mqtt1, openhab-binding-feed, openhab-action-nma, openhab-binding-xbmc1, openhab-ui-habmin, openhab-ui-paper, ope nhab-binding-wol1, openhab-binding-samsungtv, openhab-binding-http1, openhab-binding-orvibo, openhab-binding-tplink smarthome, openhab-transformation-javascript, openhab-binding-lirc, openhab-transformation-regex, openhab-transform ation-jsonpath, openhab-action-telegram, openhab-persistence-rrd4j, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-icloud, openh ab-binding-astro, openhab-binding-squeezebox': Unable to resolve root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; os gi.identity=openhab-ui-paper; type=karaf.feature; version="[2.4.0.SNAPSHOT,2.4.0.SNAPSHOT]"; filter:="(&(osgi.ident ity=openhab-ui-paper)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=2.4.0.SNAPSHOT)(version<=2.4.0.SNAPSHOT))" [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-ui-paper/2.4.0.SNAPSHOT: missing requirement [openhab-ui-paper/2.4.0.SNAPSHOT] osgi.identity; osgi .identity=esh-ui-paper; type=karaf.feature [caused by: Unable to resolve esh-ui-paper/0.10.0.SNAPSHOT: missing requ irement [esh-ui-paper/0.10.0.SNAPSHOT] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper; type=osgi.bundl e; version="[0.10.0.201811100937,0.10.0.201811100937]"; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.ecl ipse.smarthome.ui.paper/0.10.0.201811100937: missing requirement [org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper/0.10.0.20181110093 7] osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(osgi.wiring.package=org.eclipse.smarthome.io.http)"]]]

try clearing tmp & cache again

sudo su
systemctl stop openhab2
mv /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log.old
rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/*
rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/cache/*
systemctl start openhab2
tail -f /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log

I tried this tonight and now my openhab wont initallize either. I tried what Angelos mentioned with no results.

Thanks
Jared

any useful info in the logs?

I tried clearing cache etc again, but still had the same problem.

Ended up moving from the snapshot version to the beta, and everything seems to be up and running again.

1 Like

The same for me. After restoring cache Folder it works again.

I would just like to understand why it is.
At some point, the cache may be emptied and then nothing works.
Since I can understand the problem, I can maybe help to get behind it what it is.

I will provide logs when I get home this evening, the errors were all java related initialization and I/O errors.

The same for me. After restoring cache Folder it works again.

I would just like to understand why it is.
At some point, the cache may be emptied and then nothing works.
Since I can understand the problem, I can maybe help to get behind it what it is.

Krysly can you outline how you restored this folder?

Thanks
Jared

I do a full sd card image just a few days before.
I extracted the folders from the image and just do a file copy to restore the cache files.

2018-11-15 17:57:01.486 [SEVERE] [org.apache.karaf.main.Main] - Could not launch framework

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error initializing storage.

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.<init>(EquinoxContainer.java:70)

at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.<init>(Equinox.java:31)

at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.EquinoxFactory.newFramework(EquinoxFactory.java:24)

at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:256)

at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.main(Main.java:179)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to create lock manager.

at org.eclipse.osgi.storagemanager.StorageManager.open(StorageManager.java:698)

at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getChildStorageManager(Storage.java:1776)

at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getInfoInputStream(Storage.java:1793)

at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.<init>(Storage.java:132)

at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.createStorage(Storage.java:85)

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.<init>(EquinoxContainer.java:68)

… 4 more

Log above

I do a full sd card image just a few days before.
I extracted the folders from the image and just do a file copy to restore the cache files

I thought about doing that but was hoping for a CLI fix. What file do I replace and where?

THanks
Jared

what does openhab-cli info show?

also, post the output of the following command

ls -al /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/ /var/lib/openhab2/cache/

/var/lib/openhab2/cache/:
total 8
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root root 4096 Nov 15 00:04 .
drwxrwxr-x+ 13 openhab openhabian 4096 Nov 14 23:54 …

/var/lib/openhab2/tmp/:
total 8
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root root 4096 Nov 15 00:04 .
drwxrwxr-x+ 13 openhab openhabian 4096 Nov 14 23:54 …

Below is from CLI /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log

18-11-15 00:04:31.134 [SEVERE] [org.apache.karaf.main.Main] - Could not launch framework
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error initializing storage.
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.(EquinoxContainer.java:70)
at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.(Equinox.java:31)
at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.EquinoxFactory.newFramework(EquinoxFactory.java:24)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:256)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.main(Main.java:179)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to create lock manager.
at org.eclipse.osgi.storagemanager.StorageManager.open(StorageManager.java:698)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getChildStorageManager(Storage.java:1776)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getInfoInputStream(Storage.java:1793)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.(Storage.java:132)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.createStorage(Storage.java:85)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.(EquinoxContainer.java:68)
… 4 more

cache + tmp are owned by root:root and as a result, no other user can write in there

execute:

sudo su
chown -R openhab:openhab /var/lib/openhab2/

and you should be fine

by the way: I think that I have seen this before (using openhab-cli clean-cache and resulting to wrong permissions in Userdata)… maybe because it was launched with sudo or using root as the logged in user?

I’ll give it a try this evening.

I cant remember which user I used, I know I was su alot that night, in any event I’ll pay closer attention to users level as I read the openhab docs. I’ll report back.

Thanks for the help
Jared

1 Like

I will start a trial at the beginning of the week. For me it is also quite possible that I have done this with su.

I will report my results.

That worked great sir, thanks a lot. Can you or anyone recommend a good resource for learning some basic coding principles?

My paper up is now gone.

I updated my server and paper UI came back***

Thanks
jared

I have the same Problem, getting this error after

openhab-cli clean-cache

`2019-12-08 15:23:20.764 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-binding-http1, openhab-binding-hue, openhab-ui-homebuilder, openhab-binding-deconz, openhab-misc-market, openhab-misc-restdocs, openhab-misc-openhabcloud, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-binding-amazonechocontrol, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-misc-ruleengine, openhab-transformation-jsonpath, openhab-binding-mqtt1, openhab-binding-miio, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-binding-homematic, openhab-transformation-exec, openhab-ui-paper, openhab-binding-samsungtv’: Error:

Resource mvn:org.openhab.binding/org.openhab.binding.miio/2.4.0 does not contain a manifest