Fibaro actors differences

Hi all! Could somebody help me understand the differences between the different Fibaro actors?
Here are a few things I don’t understand.

1. Single/Double Switch 2 (FGS 213 vs FGS 223) - http://manuals.fibaro.com/switch-2/
    The diagrams on the page show that both can be connected to single and double switches. But the Single Switch can only control one device. What’s the point connecting it two a double switch which can only control a single device? Double switches are supposed to control two circuits, don’t they?

2. Dimmer 2 (FGD 212) - http://manuals.fibaro.com/fgd-212/
    I guess I have the same question for the Dimmer 2. The diagram shows that it can be connected to a double switch, but it seems that only one device can be controlled.

3. What’s the difference between a Single Switch 2 and a Relay Switch? Can you give me some examples?

4. Is there any other company doing similar actors, perhaps in better prices?

thx!

1. and 2):
    You may use the second optional switch to control a completely different device, so it acts as a kind of remote.
1 Like

1)+2) as mentioned by @sihui, you can use the 2nd input on the FGS-22X as a ‘remote’ switch, but it’s not meant for that purpose (it doesn’t send SCENE_ACTIVATION as does the second input on the FGD series). You can also deploy it in scenarios where you have two switches controlling the same light.
But the main difference is that the single switch can switch up to 2.500 watts, while the double one can only do 1.500 watts per channel.

1. Relay Switch is just a different name that applies to both, the single and the double one. At least I have a double one (FGS-222) where it’s printed on the packaging.

2. no. There’s Qubino, Philio, Aeon, but they’re all more expensive.

Hi Markus, I thought I had understood, but now you got me confused a bit :slight_smile:

1. I understand that both single and double switches can be used in scenarios where two switches control the same light. What does it mean ‘it doesn’t send SCENE_ACTIVATION’? Could you please give me some examples?

2. I meant this Relay Switch: http://manuals.fibaro.com/relay-switch/ which is different from the Single Switch 2 (FGS-213), but I don’t understand how.

When a switch is not dedicated to a light on the same actuator, it’s called a scene switch or scene controller. Instead of sending ON or OFF, it’ll send SCENE_ACTIVATION in zwave. The secondary switch on the FGD-212 is an example. Read the manual.

It’s the same, just the older generation. (FGS-212 vs. FGS- 213)

1 Like

I guess that’s a Fibaro definition - it’s not a general rule.

Different devices will do different things. The SCENE classes are really only of use to control a master controller (eg to trigger a rule in OH). If the device sends a SWITCH class, then it can be used to trigger a rule - or - to directly control other actors…

Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on what you want to do (INHO anyway :wink: ).

So - it’s certainly meant as a “remote switch” - maybe not a “remote control”…

Oh, that was just my own sloppy definition to not confuse people who are not as familiar with actuators as are we.
Any scene controller should use the SCENE classes, true, but as you said, you do can use standard switches as a ‘remote switch’, too.

Thanks guys, I think I got it now.

FYI: just read that the FGS-223 has parameters 28 and 29 to make switch presses trigger scenes (like the FGD series).
I haven’t seen those on older-gen FGS.

1 Like