Fibaro FGD212 Real time energy usage (watts) always a step behind

Indeed. It’s not so much the consumption, but the fact its showing something when its off. That’s my real issue.

I do not get that issue so I am not sure it is inherent in openHAB but it could be to do with the Fibaro device and type of load connected. I tested a few of mine and none show this issue.

There is that strange parameter 59 that I could not get Fibaro to explain when to use to me when I was testing a preprod one of these for them. I have never used it.

Not sure about the power reported on this channel as a way to work out energy need or usage. It just would not be accurate to take samples on instantaneous W when you have a cumulative kWh channel that is always going to be more accurate. If people find it useful I am not going to argue but deltas of the energy would be my way to work out demand.

dastrix80 do you doubt the kWh reading? Understand that seeing a W figure is disconcerting but is it a material issue.

If it is, could you start by getting the logs. If it is an OpenHAB issue then it must be ignoring a report from the device. If the device is not sending a report then it is a Fibaro issue and you can add that to a long list of firmware issues in devices. Fibaro not necessarily being the worst offenders but these dimmers have had their issues with flickering in certain regions of the world and other unwanted behaviour. Could be that with the type of load you have connected these behave differently to how mine do.

The issue is that a device, holds onto its Watts channel data and does not return to 0 .

When I turn the light on, it shows 20Watts instantly. When I turn it off the channel still shows the value for hours . The other devices do it just fine.

The kwh reading is not an issue, its the instantaneous watt reading. This isn’t a material issue if someone is using this to judge total load on an off the grid premises.

Yep, my Fibaro dimmers flicker no matter what I do under 30-40% load. Aeotec ones do too.

The load is all LED globes.

All lights off, now showing 2.9 Watts

07:48:35.107 [INFO ] [arthome.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - LivingRoomSw1 predicted to become OFF
07:48:35.108 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - LivingRoomSw1 changed from ON to OFF
07:48:35.109 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gInsideLights changed from ON to OFF through LivingRoomSw1
07:48:35.110 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAllLights changed from ON to OFF through LivingRoomSw1
07:48:35.228 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - LivingRoomDim1 changed from 5 to 0
07:48:35.229 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAllDimmers changed from UNDEF to 0 through LivingRoomDim1
07:48:38.349 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - LivingRoomNum1 changed from 1.4 to 2.9
07:48:38.350 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAllLightsUsage changed from 1.4 to 2.9 through LivingRoomNum1

openhab> smarthome:status LivingRoomDim1
openhab> smarthome:status LivingRoomNum1
openhab>

It’s always the same device, the Fibaro.

How did you get on with command poll period?

Same issue, the light is off and its showing 2.9Watts on the channel. Always the same device, LivingRoomNum1

Even changing the power reports to 1, doesnt do it. Light off, showing 13Watts. If I send an off command again, after its already off, it updates. Surely this is a bug?

I am running firmware 3.5 no bypass 3 wire with LED load and no issues like that and have no flickering.

I am sure your issue is with Fibaro and install not openHAB. Have you asked on the Fibaro forum to see if anyone has had the issue and solved it?

Im still having this issue, now with Aeotec devices. The device is on, the association group set yet the usage on the Wattage channel is showing 0.

@chris I assume you need a debug log to see whats going on when the light is switched on/off? This must be a software issue.

What is the command poll period set to on this one?

hi rossko57, its set to 1500. Default. Its an Aeotec Switch, there’s 16 and they are all doing the same thing.

reluctant to change it because the node is 4meters from the controller.

The sequence of events dont correlate to the wattage

19:50:28.941 [INFO ] [arthome.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Stairs_Light predicted to become OFF
19:50:28.944 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Stairs_Light changed from ON to OFF
19:50:31.028 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Stairs_Num1 changed from 0 to 3.54
19:50:31.030 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gEnergyRealTime changed from 0 to 3.54 through Stairs_Num1
19:50:31.031 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAllLightsUsage changed from 0 to 3.54 through Stairs_Num1
19:50:31.078 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Stairs_Num2 changed from 0.159 to 0.166
19:50:31.080 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gPowerUsage changed from 3.067 to 3.074 through Stairs_Num2
19:50:39.682 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemCommandEvent     ] - Item 'Stairs_Light' received command ON
19:50:39.686 [INFO ] [arthome.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Stairs_Light predicted to become ON
19:50:39.688 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Stairs_Light changed from OFF to ON
19:50:41.775 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Stairs_Num1 changed from 3.54 to 0
19:50:41.777 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gEnergyRealTime changed from 3.54 to 0 through Stairs_Num1
19:50:41.779 [INFO ] [home.event.GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAllLightsUsage changed from 3.54 to 0 through Stairs_Num1

It’s a binding setting, per device. The binding inquires for status after each command sent, after delay NN. Association groups must be correct.

I think we can see that in action in your events.log

With no idea how often Aeotec recalculates power, I’d try something much longer, 5 secs say.

1 Like

Shall give it a go rossko57, yep 3-5 seconds may do it.

Well, I don’t know. I would be surprised, but I can’t really know what is happening without the log.

Next time I’m there ill get a log chris, cheers!