First installation and Zulu is not detected

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Amlogic/32 bits/smp

• OS: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) with Kernel: Linux 3.14.29

• Java Runtime Environment: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu8.36.0.152-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 1.8.0_202-b152)
      OpenJDK Client VM (Zulu8.36.0.152-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 25.202-b152, mixed mode, Evaluation)

• openHAB version: openhab2 testing

• Issue of the topic: First installation and Zulu is not detected

Hi guys, I’m completely new in OpenHAB and today try to install on one device. First I installed Zulu8, then start follow the installation instruction and stuck on this step. When I run a command sudo apt-get install openhab2 in terminal I receive this message:
[openHAB] WARNING: We were unable to detect Java 8 on your system. This is needed before openHAB can be started.
[openHAB] Please install the current version of Java 8 or check the openHAB documentation for details.

What can be the problem?

When i try to run:
‘’‘sudo /etc/init.d/openhab2 start’’’
I get this error: [FAIL] no java executable found at /usr/bin/java … failed!
Why the script try to run Java on this path?

Is your system based on sysVinit or the newer systemd? If systemd then use **sudo systemctl start openhab2.service.

sudo systemctl start openhab2.service
Running in chroot, ignoring request.

I was search solution of that but i cant understand what type of problem is this
I’m not very familiar with linux :frowning:

Because when you install Java using apt, the default version of Java gets symbolically linked to that path. How did you install Zulu?

Since you say you are not that familiar with Linux, I recommend starting with openHABian. You can use the manual install instructions for openHABian and then use openhabian-config to install and set up everything in the standard way.

Hi and thanks for your answer.
Yes, I installed Zulu manually and I do not linked it to this path. I will try now.
openHABian cant run on this device - its a one cheapest TV Box … I’m not very sure why… maybe I can’t make it correct.
I will try with my Raspberry if I can’t fix this :slight_smile:

That would be odd as openHABian is just a bunch of scripts that install and configure things the “normal” way using apt.