First time user, struggling with item/sitemap setup

Sorry for the very basic question, but I am struggling with making a sitemap and items. I am running the program on win7. I have made a default.sitemap that is basically copy paste from the tutorial:

{
sitemap default label=“My first sitemap”

Switch item=Presence_Mobile_John label="John's Mobile"
Switch item=Wallplug_FF_LR_TV label="Wallplug TV"
Dimmer item=demoDimmer label="Knx"

}

And an item based on my knx-setup calles knx.item

Dimmer demoDimmer “Dimmer” [switch=“7/1/4+<7/1/34”, position=“7/1/24+<7/1/44”, increaseDecrease=“7/1/14”]

But the basic UI says there is no sitemap, and the item list only shows the one i tried created in paper ui. Do i need to “activate” using the conf-files somehow? (i have closed openhab woth ctrl+D and restarted it many times)

Your opening parenthesis is at the wrong place; try this:

sitemap default label=“My first sitemap” {
   Switch item=Presence_Mobile_John label="John's Mobile"
   Switch item=Wallplug_FF_LR_TV label="Wallplug TV"
   Dimmer item=demoDimmer label="Knx"
}

Your log file should have give you an error that there are errors in your sitemap file and hence it is getting ignored. Following your error log will help you in the future:

Thank you very much. In fact my sitemap did give an error. I don’t know why but it works with “Switch” but not with “Dimmer”, so i simplified it down to:

sitemap default label=“My first sitemap” {
Switch item=Demo_Dimmer label=“Knx”
}

Which does work. I also tried to simplify the items file to.

Switch Demo_Dimmer “knx” [switch=“7/1/4+<7/1/34”]

But i get the following message in the log if i try the switch: “Cannot retrive item ‘Demo_Dimmer’ for widget.”

You are not giving a whole lot of info.
Which OH version are you running? Did you install the binding?
If you are running OH1, I cannot help much more.
If you are running OH2 do you have your thing configured?
If you run text configuration, do you get an error when you are saving your .item or your .thing file?
Can you find your thing in PaperUI and can you control it there?
DDid you at some point, find your thing in the PaperUI inbox and accepted it?
Did you link your thing to the item in paperUI (or was an item auto-generated?

For how to do any of the above, pls read the docs (first time set up, intro, binding, etc)

Sorry.

I am running the newest version 2.5…0.M1
I have the knx-gateway (thing) configured, it seems to be working, but hard to tell 100% when i am not able to try sending telegrams out with the switch. It was configured via the paper UI. I can find it and control the settings.
The items i make in the item-file does not show up in the paperUI, only the ones i have made directly in the UI.

Mmhhh. If you configure your thing through text files it will not show up in the inbox of your paperUI but you will still see it in the control panel of PaperUI. You may want triple check your logs for errors when you save your thing file. I am not using KNX myself so cannot assist in configuring it.

My thing seems to be working, and was configures through the paperUI, it is the item i did through the items-file, and gives an error message (and is not in the paperUI)

This isn’t a sensible Item defnition. You seem to have muddled channel defintion under KNX Thing with Item definition a bit.
If you want to link your Item to a KNX Thing’s channel, you need to use curly brackets { channel="…
There are examples in the KNX docs

Tip- be careful not to use old KNX1 settings from forum help and suchlike, where seeing the old format {knx="…"} is a clue to avoid.

Thanks, when i followed the instructions there it worked. I don’t understand why the generic device is needed, but at least it works. Thanks.