First time using a Shelly

That’s encouraging, but you’d need to verify electrically the wires are what you think they are (and actually connected).

I’ve no idea if/when wiring colours were changed wherever you are. Red+black was abandoned in UK twenty years ago, but that was driven by EU harmonisation. Maybe we’ll change back now. :crazy_face:

The general principle of contractors not wanting to take on liability for little jobs, where the overall safety relies on someone unknown’s past work, still applies.

I only partly get that (I get what you mean, but i don’t agree with it). Let’s say you build a house and contract an electrician to do the wiring. Then some yeas later you want to change something (and it doesn’t matter if it is something small like changing a socket or switch, or something bigger like changing your heating system). So you go to an electrician and ask to do it but he doesn’t know what someone else has done before him, so he declines. What do you do now, if the “original” electrician doesn’t exist anymore? Just live with the fact, that you can’t change anything and pray that nothing breaks?

I get that they don’t want to be responsible for mistakes made by previous electricians, but just turning down is not an option. It might end up that they will have to do more work then expected, but they have to look at it and give you an estimate. Then it’s up to you if you pay them or leave everything as is.

[Sorry, we are getting way off topic]

Yes, we’re straying :slight_smile:
I understand you’re not liking the situation! I explain the contractors view - they’re not obliged to do work for you. It’s a business, not a service, in the end.