Frame icon="icon" possible?

While I agree this is an approach it isn’t what @awsnap is after. Fames are not the same as nesting Items. They both have distinct uses and are not functionally interchangeable. One groups the subitems on the page while the other groups the subitems on another page.

Since this is a documented feature since OH 1.x it is something that used to work. At a minimum the current inability to define an icon for a Frame is a regression from past behavior and is in conflict with the docs.

Something needs to be fixed, be it the docs or the Basic and/or Classic UIs.

Hey guys, @pahansen @awsnap

Regarding the sitemap documentation, yes it’s kinda wrong. You are right that a few elements you can define in your sitemap are not rendered by BasicUI. I believe to remember that they are published via REST though. Full disclosure: I have written the sitemap documentation and did not mention that restriction. The bug should be reported, how would you suggest to fix the “misunderstanding” you had @awsnap

Out of my mind I believe the properties not rendered are:

• Icon of Frame
  • Icon of Image
  • Label of Image
1 Like

I can’t attest to whether it used to work in 1.x and I can only say that Icon of Frame does not work.

Is it? It’s a UI and I’m the U so I’m pretty sure I know what I want… that could change.

Frames serve their purpose and have a distinct functionality. I don’t get why you would recommend to not use them.

@awsnap I support your wish to have a UI how you like it. Icons for Frames are not supported by BasicUI. That’s probably because of the style idea to have a “headline”. Do you really want the icon or did you just want to report the problem? In both cases, please open a bug report at https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues?q=BasicUI

Jeez, I see your point @awsnap , all I was doing was giving you a workaround. Take it or leave it.

@pahansen Btw. I like your icons. Would you tell us the source?

I do like that way and will be using it for most things but I’m trying to pack as much information/data into the UI I’m building so it can be a quick glance for many things.

I started a package of icons that could be used to replace the default iconset but stalled when I saw how many repeat family icons I’d have to prepare, heh. When they’re all black lines, distinguishing skin color isnt all that important. I recall @Kai saying to create an icon set I’d have to have replacements for ALL the existing ones.

shrug

But still would be great. You should continue with the idea!
For the skin color: Just take the same 5 times. As you said, no color with simple lines.

Surely this doesn’t mean that, for example, the same black and white line drawing icon couldn’t be used for all the families. All the files with the right file names have to be there but I don’t think that means all the files have to be unique icons.

At least that is what would be a reasonable expectation. I’d hate for this work to stall out because of this. I also love these icons and think they would make an excellent addition to OH.

Oh yeah, it’s not a lot of work to do, I was in the middle of the last stage of a project at work so it all just got shuffled over to the to-do list once i’d done one of the icons and never looked at it again.

This has the current state of the custom icon set. Several have had further modifications from me to suit specific purposes so aren’t icons8 originals, but follow the same/similar design ethic.

I’m wanting a frame icon to show the status of the item for multi state icons like “amplifier” or “television” icons.

Hopefully it’s fixed soon.

Oh, these are png :frowning: Would you be able to convert (e.g.) all to svg?

Simon, unfortunately this isn’t a thing although I would find it very useful like you. Why not have the ability to ‘bring forward/up’ the status of an item?!

Not too sure how well it would work. Is the desire for svg simply for scalability of vector formats? I’m not sure how icons8 would appreciate me editing their files…

I can make it happen, but it won’t be a quick exercise as I’d prefer to redraw them and properly vectorise the icons, and I doubt I could advertise my edits to the world.

shrug