Frontail not working after SD restore on fresh install

Just to close this topic…

I finally used my July’s backup to get back on my feet. I manually transfered the content of jsondb’s folders from my old corrupted SD card to import my latest Things & Items from July to now, because this SD card would not want to backup itself (all files were in read-only).

All in all, I did not lose anything! Except, the Frontail is still NOT working because of the node fault (see 1st post above) but at least I can use the /var/log/openhab events.log and openhab.logs to see what’s going on when I need to. Not perfect, but at least the house automation is back on its feet!

Thanks for your help guys!

Hey Guys,

Just to add, I’ve run into the same problem as @zimraph.
Same output when installing frontail. I ended up installing node and npm manually. This allowed the frontail install to proceed with no errors. However, it did not install properly and frontail is still not working.
Isn’t there supposed to be a frontail.service file in the /usr/lib/systemd/system directory? There isn’t. Looking forward to comments by @mstormi.

Running OH3.2-M2 on rPi4.

/etc/systemd/system/frontail.service it is.

I don’t use Frontail myself so people please don’t expect me to debug that for you.
Probably as Rich said it’s an upstream problem. I don’t manage the frontail package.

Ok - got it to work.
Once you’ve installed node and npm manually and installed frontail with no errors, you need to do the following:
Edit the file /etc/systemd/system/frontail.service with sudo permissions.
Update the line
Environment=PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/

/usr/local/bin was added to the PATH env var.

Run:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl start frontail

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I will try this as soon as possible! Thank you for your posts.

How did you manually install node and npm?

2 Likes

Use tar -xvf rather than tar -xzf

1 Like

I’ve added that to the openHABian code. Thanks for diggin’.

1 Like

YOU ARE AN OPENHAB MASTER! YES it’s working now!!! Thanks a LOT for your help! Very appreciated!

1 Like

FYI - I had the same (or very similar) issue when creating a fresh install on a new (backup SD card) … node and npm weren’t there so Frontail install failed … normally, in the past it just worked, sth changed. I started with openhabian-pi-raspios32-v1.6.6.img.xz Then updated the system to 3.2.0.M3.