Getting Aeon Labs Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 (ZW089) working

I just started out with ZWave - and am pretty exited. I am using an Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen5 with my RPi2. I believe I have the worst behind me - and already have a motion detector working, making Openhab sending me a twitter message everytime I move around in my office :sweat_smile:

Now - I also purchased a Aeon Labs Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 (ZW089) with the intention to trigger alarms whenever my main door opens. The sensor is “seen” (and green) in Habmin - and I also seem to get the battery level out of it. I just cannot seem to figure out how to get it to send me state updates…?

These are my items:
Contact maindoor_sensor “Door State [%s]” { zwave=“5:command=sensor_binary,respond_to_basic=true” }
Number maindoor_battery “Door Battery [%d %%]” { zwave=“5:command=battery” }

Anyone has this and can let me know how to set this up ?

I have one working very well. My configs are below.

and here is a sample rule:

rule "notify garage walk in door open"
    when
        Item zwave_device_ID_node3_sensor_binary changed from OFF to ON
    then
        sendXMPP("<ME>", "Garage walk-in opened")
end
1 Like

Thanks Jim ! - where are the screenshots from ? - some fancy design tool which I haven’t seen before :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
/Martin

These are from Habmin2, with openHAB2, but I thought the actual configuration itself might give you some pointers. If you are running openHAB2, I highly recommend installing Habmin2 as it helps greatly with z-wave configuration.

Maybe he is still on OpenHAB 1 with HABmin 1?

Yes I am - and although tempted to go for OpenHAB2 - I am so happy to have something working now, that I don’t want to upgrade just yet.

Anyone with more easy settings which I can adopt in my OpenHAB1 setup ?

OK - nailed it - based on Jim’s inspiration;

Being a newbie to Zwave I hadnt figured out that my controller (node 1) need to be a member of the device’s association group for state+battery updates. My other device - a motion sensor - seem to have set itself up with this from the start - which I why that one worked, but the door sensor did not.

That done in Habmin - everything works beautifully and I have Openhab sending me tweets when the door opens :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for all your support ! I would stand no chance without it !

Glad you have it working, enjoy!

Hello,

I know this is quite an old thread, but I want to buy this same sensor and wondering if you has any advise on a zwave stick that works well with these?

Thanks!

From first post:

Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen5

1 Like