Getting started with a remodel

I am remodeling a few rooms in my home and taking them all the way back down to studs. Among other things, I’ll be redoing the electrical circuits because the original ones are very poorly balanced. I have been wanting to get into HA for a while and thought this would be a good time to install some switches. I’ve been looking for some small zigbee switches that I can put behind or near each outlet and light fixture to switch those on and off. I haven’t found anything like what I’m looking for. I must be using the wrong terminology.

I’m looking for something like this, but with zigbee: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2443-222-micro-on-off-module.html

Thanks!

On second thought, it looks like most people on this site use z-wave. Perhaps I should go with that instead.

I personally really like the Leviton Z-Wave switches. I like the fact that it’s a toggle button, rather than pushing the top for on and the bottom for off. That’s probably not to everyone’s taste though. It also has a very solid feeling click. The GE/Jasco switches that I have and the one Insteon switch that I have don’t seem as robust. I also like the fact that Leviton’s matching remote for three-way applications is inexpensive and optionally includes an LED so it’s virtually indistinguishable from the main switch. A nice bonus is that they include white, ivory, and almond color change kits in the box.

This is primarily because there is no support yet for Zigbee in OH. It is in the works for OH 2 but until that happens there is no support for Zigbee.