Getting started with Amazon Echo Control Binding

I am new to OpenHAB and Amazon Echo Control.

I want to do one thing and one thing only and this all seems like so much to learn to acomplish one small thing!

I want to send text strings to the echo for reading from a Linux command. These messages will come from an asterisk server, and can be sent from post or curl post commands, or other method available from asterisk dial plan (whatever can be done in a command prompt can be worked into dial plan).

I have read in these forums about some examples , etc but have never found any such examples and have no idea even where to look for these examples. What is the easiest way to get simple text messages to Alexa for reading?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Mark

You can do this by using OH.

• create an item that will carry the text to read
  • create a rule that is to be triggered
  • the rule then will be triggered by a change of the item
  • the rule then to run TTS on your echo
  • the item is to be updated from your Asterik server via curl and REST interface

Alternatively this should work: https://github.com/thorsten-gehrig/alexa-remote-control
A shell script that can be used to remote control Alexa and besides other stuff also run TTS.

After looking at both of these methods, neither is easy to understand for a noob. In fact they both seem extremely convoluted in order to perform a seemingly simple function.

I suppose if I make OpenHAB a full time job for the next couple of weeks, I can get it done but I do not have that kind of time to create a single “convienience” feature.

I had hoped someone might be more specific in a more simple process but seems it is all quite vague.

1 Like

Did you create an Echo thing? If yes, have a look at the auto-created channels, using the show “more” button should reveal a string channel named “speek” ( I translated that from the German “sprich”, so it migth be a bit different). This channel should do what you want.
Other then that, openHAB is able connect all kind of systems (making it system of systems), doing that in a “plug’n play” way is next to impossible.

Thanks for the tip .

I surely do not understand how this works but I highlighted the title word "Speak"in the “thing” and was able to see an explanation followed by

"<speak>I want to tell you a secret.<amazon:effect name="whispered">I am not a real human.</amazon:effect>.Can you believe it?</speak>"

Not sure what needs to happen with this whether this SSML is POSTed or somehow sent to OpenHAB.

Truth be told, installed things include Kodi, Printer , echo dot and I can not get any of it to do anything.Pretty frustrating with very vague explanations from what I see as well as no idea why things “pop up” like when I highlight “Speak” under the “Amazon Echo Dot”, which by the way also seems to appear as “Mark’s Echo Dot” . All seems way too convoluted. If it is a single device it should be a single “thing”

This software and the “Things” need more examples of how to work them. There are also too many UIs , each apparently with its own set of problems/bugs too.

Of course I also assumed that the Documentation of openHAB was read before!
Concerning the “Speek” channel the Binding documentation tells: Write Only! Write some text to this channel and Alexa will speak it. In other words this channel is only accepting a string ( or better a sentence) and it will be send to the Echo device to be spoken!
If it doesn’t work for you, your setup isn’t completed correctly (re-reading the bindig-documentation would help).
If you have two thing in your setup which both are representing your single Echo device, you made a mistake (one was auto-created, the other one created by a .things file?)

Which UI’s are you talking about? For your setup you only need PaperUI, for the actual use either a sitemap (used via a browser or via smartphone-app) or HABPanel.

@opus Have you read ALL of the documentation? No , nor have most of the users here. My point is that sometimes a few real world examples go a lot further than pages of explanations.

Perhaps it would be better to tell me where the 'speak" command is used and direct me to that relevant part of the manual than imply as you do that I should read an entire manual including irrelevant sections. I do not want everthing

I do to take weeks to “figure out on my own” . There should be valid examples for every module/addon//thing.

Within the linked add-ons documentation you would find these Examples. However looking at them only you would miss the needed Amazon Account Thing. Without that one your Echo device will not work, hence I linked the whole documentation of the binding.
Additionally IMHO the person that created the binding and its documentation did present as much examples as possible.

@opus And where are all the examples that the creaor of the “thing” created? That is my point!.

Why is it thereis “hiddden help” that you can see oly when highlighting in the browser, a word from the “thing” ?

none of the methods used make much sense, then they throw several GUIs at you when most seems to be done by command line anyway. You have to “gix” the GUI before it is usable.

It seems that you are not reading any of the links I posted.

I have no idea what you are talking about in this sentence. Which UI should that be?
I haven’t talked about such “hidden help”, neither are the item-examples for the echo device channels hidden in any way.

This sounds to me as if you are talking about another project!

Yea right! ust write me off