Getting Started with OH3: rewriting the tutorial - 1. Introduction

No, all under one hood😉

I am trying to re-create my small OH2 setup in ONh while waiting for the functional bindings I need. Z-Wave & Expire are the ones currently not usable.

Expire will not be available as a binding. Replacement is beeing discussed afaik.

I saw that but I use the functionality.

I thought NGRE was going to be the default rule engine but it is not installed by default and still marked as experimental.

It should now also no longer cause issues in future builds since the ZWave feature has been disabled.

2 Likes

@rlkoshak
Can you unlock the other topics as well please? I’ll proof read and edit as I try out V3 over the next week, also it is confusing that some are in this area of the forum, and some more in another, could they be moved and made a sticky? thanks…

I can unlock but I don’t think I have the power to make it sticky. I think that requires an admin. The rest I can do.

Is there a guide on how to setup model with the file based approach? So far it seems that the model can only be edited through the WebUI or by directly modifying the JSON DB files.

Most all the model pieces appear to be Groups. I would try making one or 2 & use API Explorer to determine what might work in files. I think the new parts are all tags anyway.

See here, there are examples of models built with textual configuration, you just have to tag them properly:

1 Like

Reviewing the available OH3 docs I came across this and seems #6, #7 and #8 are still missing or was it just me to miss them ? There’s a #9 though.
Added one or two missing links to the table of contents.

1 Like

I just have to draft them, probably in the coming days…

1 Like

#6 is here.

I was referring to #6,7,8 of the list in post #1
OH cloud, persistence and an overall summary, these are.

1 Like

Hmmm OK.
Perhaps a section is missing from post 1.

EDIT:

I made a pass at making the wording sound more like an introduction and less like a plan of what we plan to write. I updated links where they were missing and marked sections that are not yet written as [TBD].

I propose moving persistence before Pages so that when we discuss pages we can assume they have persistence set up when we talk about Chart pages and the analyze buttons and such. I didn’t want to do that unilaterally though.

Let me know if I missed a link anywhere.

I’m also going to add forward/back links to the bottom of each page so it’s easier to read them like they will be in the docs.

Added a few sentences to use the code tab and post the YAML when asking for help on the forum.

I’ve started with following the docs and building my OH3 server for learning and testing it a bit before really diving in all the way.
This section is clear, only one question. In the section File-based vs UI-driven configuration first the file based is mentioned.
When I have no clue to choose (especially new users), I would pick the first one. But likely the best option for a new user would be the UI based option.
Or is it just me with that strange behavior? :slight_smile:

We present the pros and the cons for both approaches. we then state that this good l guide isn’t going to present the text based approach (I. e. the user will have to look at the docs on their own). That seems pretty clear to me.

The text based configs are acknowledged so those users who are drawn to then can choose that approach. But those users will have to do so without the benefit of this tutorial. Only developers (who can figure it out from the reference docs without too much trouble) and existing OH 2 users (who already know how to use text based configs) are likely to go down that path.

We won’t code for you though. All we can do is present the pros and cons, which we’ve done. But if you have any suggestions for edits, the post is a wiki so have at it. It’s a group effort.

A practical note from an absolute beginner: It would be useful linking the active page of the installation procedure when mentioned in

This tutorial assumes users have read the concepts and installation guide already

It would be also useful to explain, besides the installation procedure, the one to make a complete uninstallation. Migrating from a tentative installation from 2 to 3, I’d like to be sure I get a full rollback to a clean state. Currently uninstalling OH2 service and deleting the openHAB2 folder - not sure if that’s a rough approach leaving some zombie stuff around- would be nice having a page just saying doing that works fine :blush:

tagging @rlkoshak

1 Like

That’s easy. Just Read your Mail Really Fast (aka rm -rf /).
But seriously: No. This isn’t relevant for people to start with OH3 in the first place, and out of scope of this tutorial for those who don’t.
Common sense applies: make a system level backup and restore to get back there.