Getting ZWN-BPC PIR motion sensor to work with openHAB

Chris,

Find attached my XML file for the motion sensor. Can you please point to some info about the database your are mentioning?

node5.xml (3.6 KB)

Thanks

The database is compiled into the binding. Each zwave device has some identifiers that we use to identify it - a manufacturer ID, and a device type and ID, and sometimes a version…

From these IDs, we link this to the database. The database is used to define how the device should be configured. It lists the configuration parameters and association groups that you see in HABmin - without the database, we don’t know this information from the device, and HABmin can’t be used to configure it.

The database is made up of a bunch of XML files - they are compiled into the binding to ensure that they are correct since getting the information wrong can cause problems…

There is information here on the format of the database files (and here for the upcoming OH2 format).

When we update the database, you need to update the binding JAR file to the latest version - this can be downloaded from cloudbees.

Chris

Chris,

I deleted node7.xml and restarted openHAB, but for some weird reason it does not create a new node7.xml file. Is this normal?

I am now getting notifications from the PIR sensor now! Thank you!

If it doesn’t create the XML, then it means that the node is not completing initialisation. This may take some time (a few wakeups) but if it hasn’t happened in a few hours (depending on the wakeup period) then it would be good to get a log (debug) of this so I can check as we may need to modify the database…

I checked the etc folder after manually waking up my motion detector, and found at some point openHAB has of course created the xml file.

One weird thing happened the first time I used the updated zwave binding. OpenHAB kept trying to send a message to a ‘node 255’ which I have never connected to my network. It also broke another node which connected a GE zwave socket. Restarting openHAB fixed both issues though.

I have still not used HABmin to manually configure anything. Thank you very much for your help Chris! I am beginning to realize the usefulness of HABmin.

Node 255 is the controller, so you will normally see a lot of these messages - especially on startup.

1 Like

Chris,

This is a dumb question.
Enerwave PIR sensor seems to have a parameter (parameter 0) that sets the time it takes to send the OFF command once triggered ON.
In the database it seems to default to zero. How can I manually configure it to a different value? Can I use HABmin to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Yes - if it’s showing up in HABmin, then you should be able to change the value. When you change the value, the background in HABmin will show yellow (for that parameter). You then need to either wait for the device to wake up (maybe it takes an hour normally), or you can wake the device up manually (probably pressing the little button on the back 3 times). Once the data is transferred to the device, the background should change to white again.

I hope that makes sense?

Cheers
Chris

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Below is what I see in HABmin > Configuration > Bindings > (zwave bundle) > Devices. I don’t see a “Refresh” button as described in https://github.com/cdjackson/HABmin/wiki/Z-Wave-Configuration. In fact, even for the other nodes I have, “Refresh” button doesn’t ask me to input new values. I have tried Safari and Chrome to access HABmin on a Mac. Both gave the same result.

There is an error in the database. I’ll fix it tonight so you can try again with the latest snapshot tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you Chris! I will try the update asap.

Just out of curiosity; how does HABmin make a change to a zwave device parameter? Does it do it by means of the node xml in etc/zwave/, or does it go inside the zwave binding JAR and fiddle with the database? Or is it something different altogether?

It sends a message to the JAR (ie the zwave binding) which then sends the messages to the device. If you modify the XML file, this won’t change anything on the device…

Chris, your bug fix totally worked! And I am learning so much by looking at the scripts, database, etc you pointed to.

Thank you!

Chris,

I’m on OH2 and just updated the binding, but the sensor still shows up as unknown in HABmin2. I also don’t see a nodeN.xml created for it in userdata/zwave

Any Ideas?

Actually, after a few minutes it picked it up… not sure why it took longer than usual, but it seems tobe working fine. Thanks!

Has anyone been able to set the Off Time on this PIR or the association group via HABmin? The default 15 seconds are too short and I don’t want to deal with setting a timer in openhab rules to delay the off time of a light.

Yep I did it. If you changed the setting and it doesn’t seem to work you
should know that the device is in sleep mode by default and it only
periodically wakes up to get new settings from openHAB (which you set in
HABmin). However, if you reset the device by pressing the button on it,
your new off time setting should immediately take effect.

~ hiran

I definately cannot change any setting, even when I wake it up. It seems like it is still in test mode, from reading this doc http://enerlites.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/z/w/zwn-bpc_3.28.pdf, but whatever I change it doesn’t make a difference and right now it shows the time off as -6…

I’ll poke it some more. Thanks!

Joining this conversation late. Has the ZWN-BPC been added to the database and found to be working well? Were you able to change the setting to adjust the motion detection off signal?
Thanks!