Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

@MARZIMA Hi Mehmet, Have you received anything back from Google? Anything we can watch, or vote on for them to approve this asap?

2 Likes

I’ve been checking my Home app hourly to see if it’s approved… Hope they approve soon or my productivity is going way down! :grin:

3 Likes

As far as I understand it’s only on Google side, to accept Openhab as service for Google home?
The technical doing is already finished?

I’ve used the send feedback feature of my Google Home to tell them to hurry
up or I’ll get some Echoes lol

4 Likes

I guess Openhab is not the only submitted project…

Also stuck in the Oauth app linking part, did you manage it?

My post :

Problem with Openhab/openhab-google-assistant

Hi may I have the Google project id, so I can bug the Google team?

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your concern about the openHAB project on Actions on Google. I can help you with the update on the project status if you can provide me the associated project-id. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have that information.

Thanks,
Lalitha
Actions on Google Support Team

6 Likes

FYI, the project-id is a unique identifier for the Official Google Cloud project. Only the developers have this, and it’s probably a bad idea to bug the Google support team about a project you don’t own.

Best advice is to let the review process play out and let the developers handle it, as all official Actions have to go through this. Good things come to those who wait.

1 Like

I think you got this wrong. You might take a closer look to the signature.

Yes, please don’t pester the support team. As pointed out earlier, this is certainly NOT the only action submitted for approval.

Remember, it may seem like a trivial thing to add a single action to Home, but that single action is being turned on for millions upon millions of users so careful testing and verification must be performed.

1 Like

Google has definitely been busy. Almost everyday I see new device support
added. Hopefully openHAB is coming soon. I have many custom-built devices
throughout the house that I would like to have access to. I used to have
them hooked up to the Amazon Echo but since it’s launch in Canada, it
royally screwed up my custom integration so I’m making the switch over to
google home.

Ordinarily I would agree with those advising patience, however as you can see Barry has found a helpful agent who said not to hesitate to request the info.

Seems low risk to me.

As a Google employee, I can tell you that you won’t get very far with the agent as they should only give information about the approval process to the project owner.

1 Like

Hi all,

I ve a hangout on Monday to clearify the QA process for our OH Action. Since we are not a regular smarthome system the QA needs to be handled differently. Actually checking the QA list and
if we are fullfilling these requirements.

So please stay patient, we are on it to get it through.

We just received 2 days earlier that excel what needs to work in the Action and were a little shocked about sending devices to google as we dont have own devices at OH. But Google is quite cool with OH and wants to support to make the Action happen.

So I just have this new infos and that normally QA is done by a partner company. And I hope we can take a short path with our demo server and the current version, send for verification.

@greg I was thinking if I should redo a small tesibg squad with 5 person. The problem is that people see to much info of the „production“ OH Action, which make me feet uncomfortsble with that approach.

FYI: The normal Smarthome Actions process includes sending devices to Google etc. So all the integrations already in assistant had way more time to go through QA process.

We need to approach this another way.
Kerping you all in the loop…

BR Mehmet

13 Likes

I don’t know what kind of QA Google is looking for here, but I am a senior software quality assurance architect by profession, and I’m willing to help out where I can. I have 2 google homes and 2 google home minis, as well as a smartthings hub, wink hub, and iris hub. OpenHAB controls my UPB light switches and dimmers, as well as my garage doors so far. I can provide a fair amount of QA for various technologies available in the IoT space right now.

1 Like

I know if we have something official it’s WAY more easy for the end user but Home Assistant have it done with OAuth Client ID. I know you did it but do you documented it ?

1 Like

Mehmet thats great news; there’s progress and a way forward.

It’s surprising this hasn’t come up already - I would imagine there’s a few other OSS software-only projects out there that want to integrate with Home. From what you say it sounds like they don’t have an internal procedure for OSS software at all yet. So evidently you might be paving the path for all the other community efforts!

Word of caution - since the openHAB Cloud protocols are well documented, if openHAB becomes the first OSS software project to be listed in the “home control” section in Google Home, you might end up seeing a ton of new signups from people who’ve written emulation layers so myopenHAB can control their other (not-Google-approved, non-openHAB) home projects. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

as I understood from Google colleague, the home assistant way is not an „official way“, since the interaction etc with end users shouldnt require anyone to setup oAuth stuff etc.
Thats cool for us tech dudes, but we should have the official Action which is easy to setup and usable without being a Cloud /OAuth guru :slight_smile:

Yeah, I ve done that but only once pointing to the myopenhab reference hosting of the OHF.
Any of you willing to go the „own OHcloud installation way“ will end up dealing with OAuth & Security stuff by the way. For this folks we opensourced the implementation.

But this shouldnt be for normal OH DIY users, it is more for advanced people knowing what they are doing and of course not expecting 24/7 support and professional dev support.
I know sometimes people think OSS is free food and maintainers have nothing else to do than helping and implementing stuff people want, BUT always remember that we all together do this for the love of openHAB and in our free time, with getting no cent. So there is never 100% free food everywhere :slight_smile:

BR Mehmet

2 Likes

Thanks man! I will know more soon and get back if we need help!

Will it be possible to use it without openHAB cloud? I am using the Amazon skill direct to my public IP on my openHAB box nginx port 443 with valid SSL certs and it’s working great. Would be nice if I can do the same thing with Google and skip the cloud connector.

2 Likes