Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

Third issue:
“Hey google is the office heater on?”

result: “I’m sorry, there was an error and I’m unable to control your home device.”

Log:

D      openhabGoogleAssistant  n7ocueqc0u8e  2017-10-14 02:05:38.646  Function execution started
I      openhabGoogleAssistant  n7ocueqc0u8e  2017-10-14 02:05:38.746  openhabGoogleAssistant: Cloud function called:{"inputs":[{"intent":"action.devices.QUERY","payload":{"devices":[{"customData":{"itemTag":"Switchable","itemType":"Switch","openhabVersion":"2.1"},"id":"AeonPlug_BarFridge"}]}}],"requestId":"11314526612669809040"}
E      openhabGoogleAssistant  n7ocueqc0u8e  2017-10-14 02:05:38.750  TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
                                                                          at Object.exports.handleQueryAndExecute (/user_code/openhab.js:52:37)
                                                                          at exports.openhabGoogleAssistant (/user_code/index.js:40:12)
                                                                          at /var/tmp/worker/worker.js:635:7
                                                                          at /var/tmp/worker/worker.js:619:9
                                                                          at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:73:7)
                                                                          at process._tickDomainCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:128:9)
D      openhabGoogleAssistant  n7ocueqc0u8e  2017-10-14 02:05:38.856  Function execution took 211 ms, finished with status: 'crash'

Hi @greg

yes I am aware of this.
And your other comments I ve mentioned in the known issues. There it says you need to relink sometimes. Google had there massively problems and many bugs. So Iam not sure how to remove that problem. It is sth Google needs to tackle again.

The Thermostats are not yet fully implemented.

It need to restrict the access to the logs. Even if you guys feel like calling it…it was not meant for monitoring at the moment. The logs will be removed or I would say: set to not-visible. So it is better not to post that commands here, since we are running a beta test together. You can PM the logs to me and I will take a look.

BR Mehmet

1 Like

Hi all Beta-Testers,

If you find issues please add them as Issues with a description in github over here:

I can than start to extend/fix the open issues and resolve as much as possible. It is also better to track them at github, since other people from the community can also start to join and help to contribute to the openHAB Google Assistant project too.

Thanks a lot
BR Mehmet

2 Likes

Hi Mehmet,
first of all many thanks for your work on this: I was really looking for controlling OH2 from Google Home for a long time!!! And now… there it is!
I have tested the current version and my experience is this:

• linking [test] open hab to my Google Home only worked few times after several tries. I suspect it’s mainly a Google app issue since it was working very randomly also while trying to link the Hue bridge directly without OH2 in the loop
  • linking only works with Android Google Home app, it was not possible for me to link from iOS app, I was only able to change settings after linked using android app
  • linking only works with items configured using .items file or automatic item linking. I tried linking with things+items created by hand using PaperUI but with no success: after I link no devices are added to Google Home. I will test it more carefully.

Overall this work is great, but honestly between things, items, rooms, labels, categories, linking, accounts… in my humble opinion it is something still very far from a UX that “everyday” end-users will expect to have to get their Google Home set with home control. Specially the Google Home app is very confusing and buggy.

My suggestion is to simplify the howto: I guess this is only for debugging now and most user will only need to follow the instructions in the “Testing & Usage on Google App” section, but will not be interested in the “behind the scence” about google cloud functions, oauth2, etc.

Thanks again for the excellent work and i will do more testing and let you know.
Massi

1 Like

I understand that you have to use in your vocal commands the item label defined in openHAB.
If my item label is for exemple “Lampe chambre”, is Google Home so clever that it can handle correctly “Ok Google, allume la lampe chambre” and “Ok Google, allume la lampe de la chambre” ?

HI @Lolodomo,
the Google Assistant natural language processor, similar to Alexa, has some intelligence. So for example I can say “Turn on table”, “Turn on table light” or “Turn on dining room lights” and all commands will switch on my light which in OH2 is labelled “Table light” and part of the “Dining room” group.

Hi ! in my Google home app when I allow myopenhab.org it said try again later

Hi Mehmet
I Did some more testing and now I have a complete setup with 7 OH2 switches/colors controlled by voice.
Great!
I confirm the weakest points are the buggy Google Home apps and the failures in he linking process. Once linking succeeds, sending commands to items works very well, almost no delay, and never had any issue.
The issue with the discovered/paperui items is caused by not possible to set tags in PaperUI , and cannot change names to items so all names in google are the channel names (color/switch) and not the item label. So at the moment I was only able to have items work well with Google Home if configured with the .items file.

So in my opinions the most urgent things are:

• dimmer support
  • color bug
  • support asking for items status

Would be nice also if OH2 groups could be imported as rooms in GH.

Thanks and congratulations for he excellent job!

Massi

1 Like

I got the same problem that a fresh install is not liking to Google home APP after I Allow OAuth2 I get linking account, and then account linked … the app goes back to device page as if nothing was selected…:frowning:

Do I need to do something else that activate it on google, and allow it on myopenhab.org %

For me it works like a charm :slight_smile: I can controll my fritz plugs and my harmony skills :slight_smile:

Hi Mehmet,
thank you - it worked instantly for me.
Do you know the plans for supporting rollershutter / blinds?

And what is the concept for families to cotro a single home?
Do I have to connect each familymember Google-account with openHAB?

Michael

Hi,

I will be travelling these days and try to get back to you guys. Hope to answer the questions soon, sorry.

For all iOS Users: I am not sure if the „final“ Google Assistant app is released for iOS already. It was announced but I am not sure if you have the same capabilities like the Android folks, since Apple and Google try to make first their users lucky (in this case Android)

I need to check the Google Home App on iOS (this is not the same as Google app) if this app works as replacement, but friendly speaking: I am not sure, since their native Google Android App already was problematic with all the problems they had. So dont put the hopes too high.

BR Mehmet

1 Like

I’m on IOS and I have The google assistant App ! but it does the same thing as the google home app When I try to login with the myopenhab.org it said 504 gateway Time-out …

For me the iOS Google Assistent apps works and i can turn on my openhab devices…

Seems like a server error on myopenhab’s side. I have the same error when logging in from a browser.

New features arriving: https://plus.google.com/+NickFelker/posts/4tyYoEzg1q7

2 Likes

Is it possible to start to test if you’re not a member of the beta-test team?

BR,

/Janne

I’ve already asked that. Basically no but you can be infuriatingly tormented by continuing to watch the thread of those who have access. Yeah. Thanks guys. It seems not al members are created equally.

Question to the Beta-Group: Anybody else (in German) expieriencing that Google Home is not always understanding, which light you want to switch on/off and gets the answer, that "maybe not all lights are assigned already, and you should use the Home-App to assign them to the room"
I am not sure, if this is a wlan, a google home or another problem…