Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

Sad for all of us who handle this beta test seriously :frowning:
BUT Thanks for your hard work :1st_place_medal: Means for me that i need to take back my alexa again! meehhh
But i will wait for the official release :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Hi Mehmet,
Could you clarify a bit?
If some secret is logged about users’ google accounts now in the beta, it will be as well logged in the future on the myopenhab cloud, right?
Which means visible to myopenhab admins.
So does this mean that this integration is not safe for users? Hope not!
Which tokens/clientids are you taking about? Those of myhopenhab cloud? Or those related to google account used to connect with?
When I saw the Readme page for the GH beta test I thought that too much info was shared
 and not needed , for example all things about console logging, oauth2 endpoint etc were simple not needed to test this beta.

Btw it seems the GH integration beta is still active for me :wink:

Thanks
Massi

2 Likes

Hi @MARZIMA.

I understand, security is very important!

But I’m confused.
After your previous post there were only 3 more. Non of them contains credentials (the logs - yes), but you concern was credentials.

Yes, there was possibility to see ClientID and moreover the secret to it for test users. But there is possibility to hide this (by managing roles). Take a look at https://console.cloud.google.com/iam-admin/iam/project.

Regarding link to credentials page I posted. Do you consider it as a security issue? This is a general google link to that page, it is public. To access something, first you need to have google account credentials, second you need to have granted access to project (if you are not owner), third you need to have rights to see it. In other words, this link is similar to any other where you need to provide credentials, like myopenhab.org.

My question was regarding how to setup own project. To have possibility to write, test and deploy changes (before creating PRs) to own google functions and have possibility to test it with Google Home.

Best regards,
Viktor

1 Like

Hi @Sk8ter,

I know that there is a way to hide the clientID. I gave the Beta Testers the Role Viewer, but it seems that the secrets been visible. I ve tested it in Actions Console, but forgot about the Cloud Console.

I understood what you want to do. BUT: If you think logically and have read the How-To than you recognized that you need an own Backend or OH-cloud to do something similiar in your complete own setup. How do you think that you should connect your own Google Assistant to a production system like myopenhab.org?
This makes no sense! So I think there you should have asked first and I could have guided you and supported your effort. I am there to help
so dont get this wrong. Your motivation is pretty cool.

BUT: This was a Beta Test for the upcoming openHAB Google Action for the OH community users.

What I recognized is: People dont read my posts carefully! I never told anybody to go an spinup a cloud function within this test. If you do so, you need to know what you re starting to do.

I am happy that you want to help and welcome you warmly. But I wrote in my previous posts, that the HowTo contribute and „Set all up by yourself“ will be provided later on
after the Beta Test.

@massi:
No of course not! But the Backends are wired by OAuth and those credentials need to remain secure and not seen by anyone.
So reusing the ClientID and Secret is simply nonsense and of course bound to myopenhab.org & Google Platform.
Dont worry, since we can fix that. It just makes me some work to create a new project etc.

Regarding documentation:
I think you guys dont read my posts. This is sad, since I try to write clearly and a lot :slight_smile:
There I pointed people to the right place in the docu and howto setup the usage.
Of course there needs to be more detailed docu and shouldnt be shorter
it should be more. Since the repo is meant for people who want to help to extend the action and need to set it all up. But as I mentioned that this will be provided later on. So you should not only wear the „consuming glasses“ also wear the „contributor glasses“.

If the official openHAB Action is released, we will def put this into a howto or whatever @ThomDietrich would propose. And that would be nothing more than just open Google Assistant app and link the official openHAB service (similiar to the usage in the beta test).

BR Mehmet

3 Likes

Ok @marzima we surely wait for your contributors instructions.
In fact I definitely would like to help in this GH integration (starting with simple things like the light color fix, see GIT issue), so to wear the “contributor glasses” :sunglasses: and also learn more about GH and cloud functions.
Thank for the clarification!
Massi

Maybe dumb question, but someone mentioned that Google Home = (basically) Google Assistant.
Does that mean that we can use the phone voice control? Or does one have to buy at least one google home?

I just started with automation (I wish I contributed something on the topic) and I would like to “sell” the idea about voice control with OK google. If a “phone only” solution could work for start, as a trial if you will, then I could just imply that it all works much much better with google home, then I would be allowed to install one in the living room due to high WAF :slight_smile:
Or would a phone work at all? Only on home wifi?

Any Google assistant device would work from Phone, Sonos, Raspberry
or even Google Home

1 Like

Hi I didn’t follow all what happen
 I know beta test was cancel but is there some news or something ?

My Google Home mini arrived today. It is now installed and it is fun. Now I am just waiting for the openHAB stuff :wink:
When can we expect something ? Will it be released in 2017 ?

Hi @MARZIMA , can you update us on the contributors’ instructions you promised ?
thanks, massi

1 Like

Hello to All,

since we faced the death of my father, I will be not that much active here.
I will publish the promised things in the comming weeks.

I am sorry but I need to be there for my family.

I hope to release the last things soon.
Please be a little bit patient.

Thank you
Mehmet

5 Likes

hope everything gets better.

Really sorry to hear your sad news.

I am sure I speak for everyone when I say, please do not concern yourself with this project at this time.

We are all patient.

Spend the time with your falmily.

Kind regards
Mark.

1 Like

Family first. always. :slight_smile:

Take care. Family is the most important in your life!

1 Like

That’s really sad. You should take all the time you need

But, are there any updates ? I got my Google Home Mini this week. Really disappointed that the Hue emulation doesn’t work anymore

Greetings from Germany!

@MARZIMA - Hi Mehmet , I hope your family are doing as well as they can. Always so sad. Take your time

For everyone else - is there anyone able and willing to possibly add to the code all the latest DeviceTypes supported by the AoG api?
https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/guides/
They now have
Camera
Dishwasher
Dryer
Vacuum
Washer
which are not all that interesting to me
but they now also have in addition to “Light and Switch”

Outlet
Scene
Thermostat

Outlet/Scene and Switch would be really nice to have in our binding. I have “hacked” some of my “switches” such as my garage door control to be controlled as a “Switchable”
 so when someone says “Hey Google- Turn off the lights”
it actions my “hacks” too
so it would be great to have only the lights turn off!

@Michael_Dopp - i notice you have made some changes/fixes on the github for this.- would you be interested in adding these in?

Question: if we manage to make these modifications, and push them to the repository, how these could be tested in the trial?
How can be deployed on myopenhab?
Cheers
Massi

just my opinion, but I think it would be good to focus the efforts on what is needed to get the first GA version out if possible so it’s no longer beta/trial. anyone have a good idea of what is remaining to get this into GA?

3 Likes

Hello All,

I will publish this weekend a new version and bring in the latest fixes.
We will soon submit it than as GA and we can afterwards extend it. So if the voolunteers wait until I have the stable version out, everybody is welcome to contribute and extend it. Going on it these days.

If it is not that complicated I will add it beforehand. Just give some little more time, since I had a lot of private stuff
and my daughter was just born.

Thanks for your patience.
I will surely care for it the comming weekend and weeks.

BR Mehmet

21 Likes