[SOLVED] Google Home Goes 'Offline' and audio sink doesn't work

I have only a single Chromecast and it has to be powered all the time to make it work correctly.
I was trying to work with a powered OFF device in conjunction with a rule that triggers when the device reports ONLINE again. The problem is that it didn’t turn OFFLINE.

I might remove the chromecast and see if that makes any difference. I doubt it, but as I said, grasping at straws here.

I’ve been wrestling with exactly the same problem. If I switch my audio default sink to Sonos in PaperUI it works perfectly, i.e., an English voice from VoiceRSS says the appropriate text, as executed from a Rule. If I use Google Home as my default sink I get the ‘pip’ and nothing else. The volume control works properly from PaperUI so my connection to Google Home is configured properly. All the same issues as described by Nick.

There seems to be a problem with the binding.

Mark - do you just have the one chromecast device setup in OH or is there a Home and others?

I’m wondering if this problem/behaviour is also covered by this GitHub issue

Just one chromecast device, Google Home.

OK, that sinks my theory about chromecast clashes.

UPDATE: I removed the other chromecast that is not used/powered and re-started OH2. Running my test rules that says a random phrase returned the following errors in the karaf logs.

20:22:34.898 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemCommandEvent    ] - Item 'RandomResponse' received command ON
20:22:34.924 [INFO ] [marthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - RandomResponse changed from OFF to ON
20:22:34.938 [ERROR] [e.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor] - MessageBodyWriter not found for media type=text/event-stream, type=class org.glassfish.jersey.media.sse.OutboundEvent, genericType=class org.glassfish.jersey.media.sse.OutboundEvent.
20:22:37.412 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemCommandEvent    ] - Item 'RandomResponse' received command OFF
20:22:37.417 [INFO ] [marthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - RandomResponse changed from ON to OFF
20:22:38.429 [INFO ] [marthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Lounge_GoogleHome_Player changed from PLAY to PAUSE
20:22:38.436 [ERROR] [e.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor] - MessageBodyWriter not found for media type=text/event-stream, type=class org.glassfish.jersey.media.sse.OutboundEvent, genericType=class org.glassfish.jersey.media.sse.OutboundEvent.
20:22:39.108 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'chromecast:chromecast:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Unable to load media

And it still chirps and then does nothing.

I’m having the same issue. Was there a resolution to it, yet?

No.

I’ve also paired my OH RPi3 with the Google Home via BlueTooth, but getting audio out that way was even more frustrating.

Eventually I went back to using a powered speaker via line out.

MIght pay to log your issues with GitHub (see this post above Google Home Goes 'Offline' and audio sink doesn't work)

I had the same problem while trying to stream mp3 files to my Google Home.
The log was showing:

chromecast:chromecast:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Unable to load media

My fault was to enter in PaperUI in the configuration of the Chromecast binding just the 'IP-Address:Port' as Callback URL.

I had to change it to ‘http://IP-Address:Port’.

Perhaps this helps someone.

1 Like

@Armon

I tried that via PaperUI changed the IPAddress from 192.168.1.7 to http://192.168.1.7, but it didn’t make any difference. Port is a separate entry in my PaperUI.

Thanks though, any ideas are welcome at this point!

Ho-hum.

Hi all,

do you have an update on this?
getting the exact same Errors:

2017-11-09 11:58:09.454 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'chromecast:audio:googlehome' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Unable to load media

if I use smarthome:audio play chromecast:audio:googlehome barking.mp3

I’m using my Google home as a chromecast like this:
chromecast.cfg

binding.chromecast:callbackUrl=http://192.168.xxx.xxx:8080

chromecast.thing

chromecast:audio:googlehome [ ipAddress="192.168.178.63"]

Nothing new. Still get same errors. Resorted to USB powered speakers via line out.

that’s my way to go also. Why is everything wireless nowadays and then you have to go back to good ole wires… :laughing:

Agreed.

I just want to use the Home as it means 1 less thing cluttering up the lounge! WAF much higher then!

1 Like

Same problem here
Someone manage to solve this issue?

Exactly the same issue here: chromecast:chromecast:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Unable to load media

I’ve several Google Home minis, one Google Home and some Chromecast devices. But everywhere the same issue. Does anyone have an idea, what I could try now?

Nope, nothing happening on this as far as I know.

GitHub issue is still open:

TBH I’m not even sure this is the same issue, but it was the closest I could find.

The issue that bugs me is that if I spin up OH2 on my Mac and run nothing but the Chromecast binding, I CAN get the Home to play back audio as an audio sink. As soon as I use the binding with others, it all goes south.

I might try to reproduce and see at what point adding new bindings cause it to stop working.

1 Like

Oh…good to know. Then i’ll try to reproduce it this way. I’ll start with the Chromecast binding and add the others one by one to find the binding, which is incompatible with the chromecast binding.

I’ve found something. If I leave the callbackUrl empty (it’s optional), it is working with the VoiceRSS service. The issue only appears, when I enter the IP of my openhab-Server. Could you try to reproduce that?

2 Likes