Google home/Openhab: TV and Mediaplayer connectivity

OK so here it goes sorry if its in wrong forum etc.

I have 2 TVs (LG from 2018 and Samsung from 2012) and a Mediaplayer (Bose soundtouch 30) none of them are supported by GA directly, but all 3 are supported by Openhab.

I can get openhab to use all inputs to all devices, but i can only get GA to use very few of them.

Has anyone had succes in integrating unsupported TVs and mediaplayer, so most of the functions work with GA?

Yeah I can do all that what specificaly are you trying to achive?

GA control for my 2 tvs and my mediaplayer…

Its working in Openhab, but i simply cant get them to work with GA… Only switch and dimmer/lighting commands work in GA but im not able to change channel, switch to netflix etc etc, the Soundtouch i can only switch on/off and set volume i.e. :confused:

Anything you can do in openhab you can control with GA.

Do you use paper ui to create everything or config files?

tried a mix of both, but mainly config files.

I’ve run into a brick wall, could you throw some examples or existing config ?

Here are the examples for GA

Post a couple of Items you want to control and how you want to control them and we can help you get them going.

this is exactly as I did…

So its not possible to use all the functionality, only as i said lighting and swithable…

You said you had everything from openhab working with your google home ?

This i.e. only leaves volume, mute, power working in GA on the samsung tv. But in openhab i can control power, volume, channels, input, appselection and mute (+ a few thing i dont use).

here are my items for Samsung tv:
Group:Switch gSamsungTV “Samsung TV” (Home) [“Lighting”, “Switchable”] // { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871”}

Switch TV_Power “Power” (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:power” }

Dimmer TV_Volume “Samsung TV Volume [%d]” (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) [“Lighting”] { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:volume” }

Number TV_VolDummy “VolumeUpNDown”

Switch TV_Mute “Samsung TV Mute” (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) [“Switchable”] { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:mute” }

String TV_SourceName “Source Name” (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:sourcename” }

String TV_ProgramTitle “Program Title” (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:programTitle” }

String TV_Channel “Samsung TV Channel [%s]” (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:channel” }

Number TV_ChannelDummy “ChannelUpNDown”

String TV_KeyCode “Key Code” (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel=“samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:keyCode” }

The tagged (ligthing, switchable) rows are the only one i could get working, tagging the other lines dosnt work… and it comes up in GA as 3 seperate instances, not just the one grouped item.

Ahh you cant have string items in google home you need to use a dummy switch to send command if you want to change some things.

I find a remote is way easier.

You also tag your items like this

Switch                Scene                         "Movie"                         {ga="Scene"}

Group  gSamsungTV "Samsung TV" (Home) // { channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871"}
Switch TV_Power "Power" (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:power" }
Dimmer TV_Volume "Samsung TV Volume [%d]" (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV)  { ga="Speaker", channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:volume" }
Number TV_VolDummy "VolumeUpNDown"
Switch TV_Mute "Samsung TV Mute" (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV)  { ga="Switch", channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:mute" }
String TV_SourceName "Source Name" (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:sourcename" }
String TV_ProgramTitle "Program Title" (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:programTitle" }
String TV_Channel "Samsung TV Channel [%s]" (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:channel" }
Number TV_ChannelDummy "ChannelUpNDown"
String TV_KeyCode "Key Code" (C_MasterBedroom, gSamsungTV) { channel="samsungtv:tv:1130ae33_ecb0_f2be_ed3a_83c15b8aa871:keyCode" }

and I find it easier to use GA :slight_smile:

Can u give an example of how to make dummy switch for setting application to netflix for this:

String LG_TV0_Application “LG TV Application [%s]” (gLGTV) { channel=“lgwebos:WebOSTV:1cc75836-6e7c-5994-1be2-579c7de2790f:appLauncher”}

Then I will have to make a hughe amount of dummy switches for the 3 units.

Is there any way to get them all to be one unit in GA. right now LG TV is 4 units (LGTV volume, LGTV (for power), LGTV mute, LGTV stop) would be nice if it worked like things you put in GA directly, so it was only LG TV.

I was looking at GA projects, and thought it might be possible to make it that way, but have no idea how to start on that working with openhab

Using voice control is very combersome and slow. Will you use it if you have to ask google 10 times change the channel.

For you use case we can look at a scene to achive some things like.

Item

Switch Netflix_LGtv "Netflix Time" {ga="Scene"}

Nothing will show up in the google home app

Rule

rule "Set Netflix Scene"
when
  Item Netflix_LGtv received command ON
then

TV_Power.sendCommand(ON)
  LG_TV0_Application.sendCommand("netflix")
  TV_Volume.sendCommand(25)
  Netflix_LGtv.sendCommand(OFF)

end

Using a Sitemap to control when you loose the remote is much easier that voice control. Yeah its cool and you can set it up but I never use it.