Google Nest Device Access Console now available

What an awesome community! For almost every device there is a solution.
Question: is there already an OH3.0 version available? I saw some posts about a planned version, but I’m not sure if I missed it already.

Learned a lot last couple of weeks about OH. Also that a 2.5 version does not work on a 3.0. :slight_smile: . Next step is to learn to program bidnings myself.

Hi All,

Running OH 2.5.12 with the @BHigg NestDeviceAccess Binding (2.5.5.202011181624) with a Nest Doorbell.
I followed @dschoepel excellent step-by-step setup (link) and have everything running successfully on the Google side. The nestdeviceaccess.cfg file has the proper values filled in. I quadruple checked. And the Nest Doorbell Thing is Online.
When I press the doorbell, I can confirm that the GCP PubSub shows the messaging for the ChimeEvent Trait is published. However, the “Has Chime” Switch item in OH never gets triggered to ON.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Randy

Have you checked the OpenHab event log to see if there is an entry for the doorbell chime? While I don’t have a doorbell (but do have cameras), I can see entries for things like motion events being captured in the log similar to one below that do result in update of the switch being triggered to on…

2021-05-04 15:13:00.142 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - nestdeviceaccess_nest_device_doorbell_AVPHwEvhTcopTG_7OzxH_k61Sonu63BkV_doorbellMotionLastEventTime changed from Tue May 04 15:06:21 CDT 2021 to Tue May 04 15:12:58 CDT 2021

Thanks @dschoepel. I have the logs lowered to DEBUG for item state changes and the binding. Nothing shows up in the logs when I trigger an event.
However, GCP PubSub messaging shows the event as being published.

The only thing I can add is that I get the following DEBUG log whenever a token refresh occurs. It’s at DEBUG so I don’t think it’s an issue:

2021-05-04 17:41:04.809 [DEBUG] [nternal.doorbell.NestDoorbellHandler] - IOException exception Error reading credentials from stream, 'type' field not specified.

Without debug turned on you should see events being posted to the event log. Are other channels for the doorbell being updated? If so, then perhaps the chime part was not programmed correctly and would need the developer to take a look.

The other thought is at times I have had to restart OpenHab to get the binding cleared out and refreshed - might be extreme move, but have you tried restarting your OpenHab system and your still experiencing this problem?

I am not getting any activity on any of the nest doorbell channels.
I did try clearing the cache and rebooting to no avail. :frowning:

In Openhab3 version I have only Doorbellname channel available nothing else. Doorbell is online but as channels are missing it does not work.

Hi @dschoepel – I found a response in this thread from you (Service Account). Sounds like the same issue I’m running into. Thoughts? Thx.

Hi Randy, I think you are correct. I did put some info in the issue I posted on how to make those changes, but just have not gotten to updating the documentation. Hope there is enough there in the issue to show you what’s needed to create a service account. Follow the bits about going to your credentials page and enabling a Service to Service API. The binding is basically looking like a service trying to access the API so it needs an account (credentials) to do that… Once set up you can download the JSON file that has this additional credential info in it and replace the one you were using.

Hope that helps…

Thanks @dschoepel.
I created a new Service Account and added a JSON key.
Just not sure how to download the JSON key file format. There’s no option for it in the GCP menus.

UPDATE: Please disregard. I found the file.

It’s working now. Thanks @dschoepel!!!

1 Like

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this message I got from Google a few days ago regarding my Google Cloud Platform free account expiring… seems like it was a 3 month trial and now they want me to upgrade:

Clicking on that link takes me here…

… and those links take you here to discuss what is included in the “free tier” and here to discus pricing.

Apparently when you create the free account you get $300 in free credits and also access to “20+ free products”, though I cannot confirm that the Smart Device Management API is one of them. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this. I am sure I will lose access if I let the trial expire without upgrading. If anyone has upgraded after their trial expired, did using the Smart Device Management API result in any actual charges or deductions from the $300 in free credit that came with the account? Thanks in advance :+1:

Marcus,

I and most folks likely took a different route on this one. I have not signed up for the google cloud platform services (trial or otherwise). What I did was spend $5 USD for Device Access Registration. Here is an excerpt from that site…

Before creating your first project, you must register for Device Access. Registration consists of the acceptance of the Google API and Device Access Sandbox Terms of Service, along with a one-time, non-refundable fee (US$5) per account.

You will not be able to create a project until you have accepted both Terms of Service and paid the registration fee. This applies to all users, both individual users and those looking to create a commercial offering.

Perhaps you had done this and also signed up for their Cloud trial. I don’t think the two are related. You should be able to use the Device Access program without having the Google Cloud Services.

Interesting… thanks for the response. I also paid the $5 fee to register for Device Access, so I guess in addition to that i must have activated Google Cloud Services :thinking:

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’ve finished my work on the PR that adds SDM support to the Nest Binding and marked it as ready for review. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you want to help with testing/reviewing, here are some links to JARs:

There’s also an updated README.md which documents how everything should be configured.

6 Likes

Thx Wouter!! I think a lot of people were waiting for this. I will give it a try.

Do I read correctly that I need the 3.0 version when I am on the current (M4) 3.1 Milestone Build?

1 Like

Yes that is correct! The Units of Measurements library was updated so all recently compiled add-on snapshot builds cannot be used with 3.1.0.M4. Luckily there will be a 3.1.0.M5 soon. :slight_smile:

So use the “org.openhab.binding.nest-3.0.3.20210530.jar” with OH 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.1.0.M1, 3.1.0.M2, 3.1.0.M3, 3.1.0.M4.

If you are using a recent 3.1.0 snapshot build or the forthcoming 3.1.0.M5, use “org.openhab.binding.nest-3.1.0.20210530.jar”

3 Likes

There’s now also a JAR with all changes backported to 2.5.x (for those who still like to use a retro OH version). :slight_smile:

Thank-you @wborn for all your hard work on this! I have the 3.1.0 jar file installed and my cameras are online. I noticed there is no detect channel type (ie. person_event#detect). Was that intentional? How does OpenHAB get alerted as to when motion/person/sound is detected? Thanks — Randy

Awesome News Wouter! Many thanks for keeping after this one. Two Thumbs up for sure!!!

Looking at the instructions, I don’t see any way to specify the service account information (i.e. authentication needed to get events sent to the nest devices from pub-sub). In the original version from @BHigg there was a service account path parameter that was used to point the binding to the .json file that held the service account details. This was typically placed in the config/services folder.

Is this no longer needed or still on the radar to get implemented?