Google Nest Device Access Console now available

Hello @Radu_Marius,
The Nest SDM API does not support Nest Yale locks. There are traits for thermostats, cameras, and doorbells. From what I can see, the devices are thermostats, nest camera types, nest display types, and doorbells (Because they are pretty much cameras.) When Nest releases the traits or APIs for Nest Yale locks, then sure thing… I’m really hoping they release traits for Nest protect devices as well as I’d like to get those integrated :smiley:

1 Like

Hello @BHigg

Indeed, it’s Google related as i saw hours after posting the message that the locks are not yet available to SDM, as this is a security type of device, don’t think google will release a API for that but who knows, hopefully we’ll be able to integrate the locks in the near future.

Best regards!

I’m at the last step: get authorization token. I copeid curl expression to Windows Power Shell. Probably this is not the best terminal what I use. I receive the following erros:

Invoke-WebRequest : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'L'.
At line:1 char:6
+ curl -L -X POST "https://www.googleapis.com/oauth2/v4/token?client_id ...
+      ~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Invoke-WebRequest], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

I’m in windows 10. Can you suggest something?

If you have Windows 10 build 17063 and later curl is part of the command set. Just open a command prompt. To verify, try typing curl --help - if it responds with help text your good to go.

Hi all. First thank you for all the afford and support on this binding. Can I please ask if there will be update for OH 3.0?

Regards

I had this working perfectly - but since the Google outage, or possibly my own home network outage, the Nest things have all changed to status UNKNOWN.
Is there a way to refresh these / bring them back online?
I have recreated my tokens and re-updated the file and then rebooted my openHab instance - but my Nest devices remain UNKNOWN

Hmm,

After refreshing the tokens, I had to delete and re-add my devices (not ideal) - but I have it working again.

As a matter of interest - is there a way to read home / away status?

Yes I confirm that

With internet outage you have to re-add devices.

@BHigg alredy knows this

Thanks for all the work @BHigg and @wborn. I am also wondering when this binding will make it to OH3 (with camera support). Any target dates?

Cheers,
Randy

No dates but I will probably have plenty of time to work on the OH3 add-on in the next few weeks! :slight_smile: :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Thank-you!

Is the SubscriptionId and PubSubProjectId found within the JSON Service Account info? What I have in there currently is the projectID from the JSON and then the Pubsub Topic from the Device Access console, but clearly that doesn’t seem to be right as I am getting nothing from my cameras.

I also tried the Unique ID of my service account from the GCP as the SubscriptionID, but not getting any feedback there either.

The Google Cloud Console is receiving messages. When I make a change to my temperature, etc, I can view the ack messages. However, all my doorbell items are blank. So I’m sure I have something misconfigured in the nestdeviceaccess.cfg file.

Hi @BHigg, been running the binding for a few weeks and the thermostats bit is working well, not seeing any errors - so thanks again for getting this working.

I have 5 cameras that the binding is able to discover and put in the Paper UI inbox
as doorbells. I am able to add them as a thing and they show up as on line. So that part seems to be working. This is where I am not sure how much you have working yet or what to expect. None of the data associated with the camera is being initialized or updated so I suspect this is not yet working in the binding. I am not much of a programmer so while I’d love to help make updates I can at least help troubleshoot things.

I am able to run curl commands from my Openhab system to retrieve the info/send commands for a camera and can verify that it works using the credentials that the binding is using. I also noticed that the access tokens are being updated for the thermostats, but they are not being updated for the camera.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated…

@BHigg is the project still in sandbox status? do you know if Openhab will be getting production access for users to use with openhab cloud etc. ? since its only 30 API calls per minute I am wondering if I should wait for proper release or okay to use now… please advise, thank you!
Env: Openhab 2.5 in Pi4 Docker

Any idea if there has been any progress on a fix for this?
Even an Openhab restart seems to drop the config?

On October 28th @BHigg said:

To summarize here:
Make sure that you have the configurations in Karaf (openhab-cli console.) This is done by placing the nestdeviceaccess.cfg and updating the “authorizationToken or refreshToken” (Not both, preference is refreshToken but if you only have an authorizationToken, you can use it…)

Is this correct, should we only configure the refreshtoken? If so, what is the beneift over doing both?
My main issue is that I am intermittently losing the config (any time my web drops, or my openhab reboots)

Thanks for the great work

Is there a JAR availabe to be downloaded for testing?
If there is door bell support available.

Thanks for additional steps for configuring device access to Google SDM API, I’ve successfully set up personal/development partner connection. Don’t quite have pubsub working yet, but my understanding is that isn’t required.
About every 7-8 days, the partner connection is removed from my account. I know there is mention of losing configuration in the thread, but assuming that is referring to Openhab config. Removing the partner connection from my google account seems to be on google end. I’m not able to find any indication that development/uncertified partner connections are limited by time.
Anyone else see this behavior? Or any tips on what I am doing wrong?

Hi All,

I have a question on Nest Camera Activity Zones. Are these supported in the Google SDM API? I use them to trigger notifications when a Person is detected in a configured activity zone.

Thanks,
Randy

You can view the traits for the APi Here: Nest Device Traits. The camera API supports motion, person and sound. So the answer would be yes if it is enable in the add-on. I have Thermostats working with the API using @BHigg’s binding, but while the cameras are there they are listed as doorbell cameras (needs a bit of work to add the traits but they are pretty much identical for the doorbell) and I don’t think this part of the add-on is working yet, at least not for me…