GPIO 1-Wire Temp sensors on Raspberry Pi with openHABian

Hi,

I have CAT5 Cables in my whole house. 3 loops in each floor. The length of each floor is about 20m.
Is that a problem for the raspberrypi ? should I take the 3,3V from external ?
or is for that kind of project the raspberry pi not possible?
Thanks,
Klaus

I have ā€œonlyā€ simple wiring over ā€œbell wiresā€ for my sensors. in total theyā€™re about 40-50m long.
I connected them to a DS9490R - 1-Wire USB Adapter. Works fine since 8+ years.

Though it says, theyā€™re not intended for new designsā€¦ :wink:

Itā€™s EOL, but if you find one, Iā€™ll think it still works. Donā€™t know, if a Raspberry Pi without it can uphold the voltage and doesnā€™t take damage over a long period. I think I read something about it years ago as I tried to implement onewire. I switched from directly GPIO to the USB-bridge for that reason - AFAIRā€¦

Thanks for your reply! Do you use your USB Stick on the raspberrypi to connect and transfer data to openhab? is that made the same way as using a gpio port ?
trying to find a seller for DS2490R adapterā€¦ :wink:
Thanks

No, as you then have a USB-bridge, thereā€™s no such thing as GPIO anymore.

have a look here:

you basically have to install the onewire-stuff from openHABian menu 28 - then you can configure the onewire binding for using the owserver functionality.

Sorry for the very delayed response to this.

The short answer is that binding didnā€™t exist when I wrote this. The original onewire binding was dependent on owserver, which in turn was written to be connected to physical onewire network via serial or USB ports. Early on I messed around with creating virtual serial ports for owserver but settled on the RPi native onewire support via GPIO.

I would say that the onewire-gpio-binding you linked to would probably replace this entire process and script, however it does state it is specifically for RPi 3. I would hope as long as you set the proper hardware GPIO pin for the interface it shouldnā€™t matter, but I donā€™t know and havenā€™t tested the new binding yet with my hardware. Openhab 3 wonā€™t even run on my RPi 1 or zeros that are currently running the onewire network for my real-world application.

@binderth Iā€™m not sure what you meanā€¦there DEFINITELY still is GPIOā€¦

Of course, thereā€™s GPIO. But you donā€™t need it or better canā€™t use it, if you connect your 1-wire devices to the USB-Hub.

I think, you got confused! :wink:
There is a onewire-gpio-binding, but then you have to connect your devices to GPIO on the underlying Raspberry Pi.
What I linked is the onewire-binding, which needs an owserver running - which you can easily start on the same machine using menu 28 on openHABian. And there you can use the USB-hub easily.

Respectfully, you are confused: look at my post, I was replying to @brianlay. He posted to the onewire-gpio-binding for raspberry pi.

Yes, the binding you posted relies on owserver which uses a serial port or usb. Read the title of this threadā€¦the whole point was to connect the onewire network of sensors directly to a raspberry pi using the GPIO pins and the native support for onewire. You introduced your setup which uses a USB adapter and is completely unrelated to this, other than you also happen to be using onewire sensors. I would agree that it makes way more sense for you to use the other binding.

Respectfully, you are confused: look at my post, I was replying to @brianlay. He posted to the onewire-gpio-binding for raspberry pi.

Yes, the binding you posted relies on owserver which uses a serial port or usb. Read the title of this threadā€¦the whole point was to connect the onewire network of sensors directly to a raspberry pi using the GPIO pins and the native support for onewire. You introduced your setup which uses a USB adapter and is completely unrelated to this, other than you also happen to be using onewire sensors. I would agree that it makes way more sense for you to use the other binding.

If I knew how to archive this post, I would! :laughing:

Iā€™m not sure how relevant it is 6 years later, given the changes to openhab, bindings, etc.