Gratitude and salutations from a beginner - My first 'thing' a Samsung TV is now 'working' in openHAB

I would like to take a min and thank everyone. I am a network person by trade, and have seen legacy Cisco go ‘pufft’ in past 3-4 years. A a novice in Linux and a new home owner, openHAB is my new hobby. Today I got my TV to mute and turn off from openHAB and could not be happier.

Platform information:
Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage - x86/16G/98G LVM
OS: what OS is used and which version Ubuntu 180.4 4.15.0-128-generic
Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version

java --version
openjdk 11.0.9.1 2020-11-04 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.43+55-CA (build 11.0.9.1+1-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.43+55-CA (build 11.0.9.1+1-LTS, mixed mode)

openHAB version: openHAB 2.5.11 Release Build

1 Like

I started this thinking zwave would be cheap and everywhere.

I had a Chamberlin myQ garage door opener, couple of Adafruit power supplies and lights and thought garage door would be my first ‘thing’. Had a bit of trouble getting openHAB server running and immediately realized a Bluetooth enabled LED Strip is what I want to play with. Then bought refurb sengled, and a bluetooth WiFi USB.

“I am learning a lot”
A lot more than I expected.
Thought any temp prob would show up in openHAB scan…
Now, would like to get a temp prob.

Congratulations! It’s incredibly satisfying when it works!

A small note:

You are using openHAB 2, which requires Java 8. openHAB 2 does seem to work with Java 11 but there may be unintended, unknown and unsupported issues.

openHAB 3, just released, does require Java 11.

2 Likes

I have debated about switching to Java8…
still thinking. Thank you for pointing out, which I think is obvious to you, but was a confusing subject for me. Since I am using a lot of 2.x add-on and knowing dev, don’t expect them in 3, I am seriously considering Java8.
this is a little dell T1500 that sits under my desk.
I just don’t want to have to start over.

Most all of the v2 addons have been ported. some of the v1 ones that work in OH2 will not work in OH3.

What addons are you using?

1 Like

myq1 is the only one from v1 and it’s not working. Are you suggesting OH3 vs Java8?
OH3 upgrade ‘feel’ easier for me after years of java nightmares. \

Is there an upgrade doc openHAB 2.x to 3?

There is a v3 binding in development for that.

There is a lot of advice here in the forums and the documentation is still developing. If you have the resources, you could run openHAB2 with the myq1 binding on a system and ise the new remoteopenhab binding to get those Items into OH3. That could let you migrate your system a piece at a time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.