Group base type reseting after update

Hello,

I’m having problems with “Group” items - after each update all my group items will lose its “Base type” and stop working, which will in turn break all the rules that depend on them. Then I have to edit each one in Paper UI and set correct type manually, which is kind of annoying since I have a lot of them.

I’ve noticed this problem some time ago and it happened today again when I updated OH to version 2.5.3 (I stopped OH service and cleaned cache before update).

Does anyone have any idea what may cause it? I’m running OH on OSMC Vero with OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu8.42.0.195-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 1.8.0_232-b195).

Are all the items in the group the same type? I’m guessing the items are defined in PaperUI not items files? Show us your items if they are defined in items file. Use code fences if you post them

I have all the groups defined in paper ui, I have groups with different base types (switches, dimmers) but the items in groups are always the same type as the group (although some groups contain other groups with same type, but that should not be a problem, right?).

I am having the very same problem here. The group base types and group functions (like “One ON -> ON”) of all groups defined in Paper UI are lost after each OpenHAB update. This happened to me at least four times in the past months, every single time I upgraded to a new OpenHAB version. I then have to go through all the groups manually, restoring the group type and the function.

The affected groups have different base types (Numbers, Switches, Contacts, Rollershutters). However, the items within one group are always homogeneous, i.e., all items within the same group always are of the same base type.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on the machine running the OpenHAB server, with the Bintray respository as the packet installation source. Upgrades are triggered manually through “apt-get upgrade” on the command line.

After the most recent upgrade, I found a block of messages in OpenHAB log during the first post-upgrade OpenHAB startup. It looks as if it might be related to the issue:

2020-04-20 18:56:23.869 [ERROR] [e.internal.items.GroupFunctionHelper] - Group function ‘OR’ requires two arguments. Using Equality instead.
2020-04-20 18:56:23.870 [ERROR] [e.internal.items.GroupFunctionHelper] - Group function ‘AND’ requires two arguments. Using Equality instead.
[…]

The total number of these messages is at least in the same order of magnitude as the number of affected groups.

Thanks for your help!

So I just updated to openhab 2.5.4 and same thing happened - all the base types are gone. I checked the log when OH was booting up and only thing slightly relevant was the same thing @bjscheue wrote - found bunch of these messages, same number as my groups:

2020-04-26 17:48:26.218 [ERROR] [e.internal.items.GroupFunctionHelper] - Group function ‘OR’ requires two arguments. Using Equality instead.

…and I just updated to 2.5.5 and am seeing the same bug again. Once again this cost me ~30min to manually go through all my groups and re-define the base types and group functions. :frowning:

I would say you guys have a buggy on your hands and this needs reported on github
I’m guessing the group functionality would be in core? Maybe someone brighter then me can help answer that question but anyhow
@bjscheue and @m0rgoth do either of you have a github account? (it’s free)
anyhow go here to report the issue

and edit to add this will most likely not be fixed in 2.5.x because the core is frozen until OH3 but it needs fixed before then so 3 doesn’t have this issue