GroupItem "Command 'OFF' has been ignored for group 'gLights' as it is not accepted."

Using OH3.0.0.m1 but I expect this applies to older versions as well, since I have seen similar questions in other posts (but no clear answer)

I got the above error message from a rule. I assume the GroupItems sends a message to all Items in the group, if one of the items does not support the OFF command this error pops up.

Is this assumption correct ?
If so, how to find out (e.g. which loglevel to change) which item causes the error message ?

Or is it something else ?

As far as I am aware, all items in the group are of type dimmer or switch.

Maybe, we’d need more information to tell. Does gLights have a type? If the Group doesn’t have a type than you can’t send commands to it I don’t think.

Thanks for your quick reply.

The group does not have a type. Unless I am overlooking something, it seems not possible to assign a type to a group.

Example from the documentation (which is identical to my config, except there are more items in the group and some are nested groups)

Group groundFloor
    Switch kitchenLight (groundFloor)

The same applies to the GUI, I could not find an option to select a type for a group.

Also when checking the OH 3 gui, all groups are visible am able to see all items which belong to the group as well (including items from groups, which are member of another group)

You’re missing something. Items | openHAB

Group:Switch groundFloor

You can even define how all the states of the members roll up to the Group’s state. For example, if the Group should be ON if one or more of it’s members are ON

Group:Switch:OR(ON, OFF) groundFloor

On the sitemap you don’t choose a type, you choose a display element. You can, for example, display a String Item using a Switch element on the sitemap. So you can put your groundFloor Group Item on the sitemap as a Switch to control it.

If you are using OH 3’s UI:

1. is where you set the type
  2. is where you define how the members’ states are aggregated to create the Gruop’s state

Is this a problem or are you just reporting this to indicate that the memberships are right.

@rlkoshak ,

Thank you very much for your excellent reply. I really overlooked it. Changing the aggregate function for the group solved the issue, the error was gone. It turned also out that one of the group members generated an error due to an MQTT status topit which reported ‘on’ while OH is expecting “ON”

Regarding your last question:

“Also when checking the OH 3 gui, all groups are visible am able to see all items which belong to the group as well (including items from groups, which are member of another group)”

Is this a problem or are you just reporting this to indicate that the memberships are right.

It was just to indicate the memberships were correctly.