Guide: Installing and testing OH3 snapshots/milestones using APT and YUM

I got an error that the repo was not signed correctly as well as Unknown date format Bad header data when I last installed a few days ago.

To fix I did this then it installed just fine using the repo:

echo "deb [trusted=yes] https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg unstable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list
2 Likes

Just wanted to say that after the latest upgrade to Build #2004 the sitemaps started to work again!

I got the same error. No solutions yet, but because unstable works, it seems some issue with the repository itself…

For the unsigned repo, run:

wget -qO - ‘https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab’ | sudo apt-key add -

Been testing OH 3, and things are working pretty well so far. Are there any options for using a binding that seems to be unavailable in OH3, specifically the MiOS binding I’m using to control a few devices connected to a Vera home controller (https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/mios1/). Is there any way to work around to get this binding to work? Thanks for the help!!!

@Jeff_Smeker there are some workarounds for a MiOS binding here: Mios binding EOL. Might or might not be useful to you.

[09:52:08] root@t2:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# wget -qO - ‘https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab’|sudo apt-key add -
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

no luck :frowning:

There is the remoteopenhab binding that permits connecting an OH2 instance to OH3. OH2 Items show up as channels of the OH2 Bridge Thing.

Hello,
I did the above procedure to switch to openHAB3 but I’m running into a problem here:

System Information:
Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Kernel = Linux 5.4.72-v7+
Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

First I reinstalled OPENHAB 2.5.10 and then wanted to upgrade to OPENHAB 3 with the following recommended procedure:

1. I wrote the current version “openHABian 1.6” as an image on the SD card. > ok
  2. Insert the SD card into Raspberry Pi, connect Ethernet and power on. > ok
  3. Installation of the openHAB 2.5.10 was successful. > ok
  4. According to the note above “disable ZRAM first” with openhabian-config > ok
  5. Zulu’s Open JDK 11 installed, with openhabian-config > ok

So far so good.
Decision for “fresh installation” with the following commands:

• sudo apt purge openhab2

• sudo apt update

Now the Problem!

• sudo apt install openhab

Summary

[16:01:45] openhabian@openHABianDevice:~$ sudo apt purge openhab2
[sudo] Passwort für openhabian:
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
openhab2* openhab2-addons*
0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 2 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
Nach dieser Operation werden 294 MB Plattenplatz freigegeben.
Möchten Sie fortfahren? [J/n] J
(Lese Datenbank … 52883 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Entfernen von openhab2-addons (2.5.10-1) …
Entfernen von openhab2 (2.5.10-1) …
Trigger für systemd (241-7~deb10u4+rpi1) werden verarbeitet …
(Lese Datenbank … 51654 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Löschen der Konfigurationsdateien von openhab2 (2.5.10-1) …
userdel: Gruppe openhab nicht entfernt, da sie noch andere Mitglieder hat.
/usr/sbin/delgroup: »openhabian« hat immer noch »openhab« als primäre Gruppe!
Updating FireMotD available updates count …
[16:07:30] openhabian@openHABianDevice:~$ sudo apt update
OK:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
OK:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Ign:3 https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable InRelease
OK:4 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_12.x buster InRelease
Holen:5 https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable Release [6.051 B]
Es wurden 6.051 B in 3 s geholt (1.741 B/s).
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Alle Pakete sind aktuell.
[18:22:32] openhabian @ openHABianDevice: ~ $ sudo apt install openhab
[sudo] password for openhabian:
Package lists are being read …
Dependency tree is built …done
Status information is read in …
Done E: Package openhab cannot be found.

Where is the problem?
Possibly, problems accessing the repository?

There is currently no release version of OH3. You need to change the repo to get either the Milestone of Snapshot version, whichever you wish to test,

For snapshots, this repository is

deb JFrog unstable main
For milestones, this repository is

deb JFrog testing main

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your help.
I already knew that openHAB 3 did not yet exist in a release version.
But I wasn’t sure whether openHAB 3 runs with openHABian 1.6 and which adjustments and installation steps are necessary in detail to get openHAB 3.x to work.
Now I was able to successfully install openHAB 3 (Milestone 3.0.0.M2) with the information from this topic. It was difficult to fish the relevant information from the various comments, but in the end I was successful.
Many thanks to all of you who make the effort here in the forum to somehow bring the topic across.
What I have seen so far is a fantastic work and further development of openHAB by the developers.
Many thanks to all contributing developers and openHAB experts.

Here in detail the installation steps that I have carried out to get a new installation of openHAB 3 up and running, it is important to note points 4 & 5:

1. I wrote the current version “openHABian 1.6” as an image on the SD card.
  2. Insert the SD card into Raspberry Pi, connect Ethernet and power on.
  3. Installation of the openHAB 2.5.10 was successful.
    Decision for Fresh Installation (delete openHAB 2.5.10) and Milestone version
  4. According to the notes in forum “disable ZRAM first” with openhabian-config
  5. Zulu’s Open JDK 11 installed, with openhabian-config
  6. sudo apt purge openhab2
  7. wget -qO - ‘https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab’ | sudo apt-key add -
  8. sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
  9. echo ‘deb https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg testing main’ | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list
  10. sudo apt-get update
  11. sudo apt-get install openhab
  12. sudo apt-get install openhab-addons
  13. sudo systemctl start openhab.service
  14. sudo systemctl status openhab.service
  15. sudo systemctl daemon-reload
  16. sudo systemctl enable openhab.service

Thx :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Sorry might not be the right place, but i’have been looking for 45min now.
How can i change the “8080” port on my rpi setup?
I’m trying to run a testsetup with OH3 next to my OH2.5 running setup.
tried:
Stop openhab

Edit the file:
/etc/default/openhab2
Uncomment the line:
#OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT=8080

And change the port number

Restart openHAB

But i can’t find this folders!

1 Like

How did you install openhab? The file location varies depensing on how you installed. For OH3 I think it should be /etc/openhab anyway. The version number has been dropped. ( I am running on Docker which is “different”.

1 Like

I installed the latest 2.5 and upgraded to 3.0
What is the filename to be edited?
I have this folder:
/etc/openhab2

1 Like

What does

dpkg -l | grep openhab

show ? It should not show openhab2, openhab2-addons.

The file that you are looking for is /etc/default/openhab.
In case you only find /etc/default/openhab2 it looks like you are still on version 2.
I saw a message in this forum where a user did not used the correct repository andthus installed openhab2 again after deinstalling it because the repo that he used was not containing OH3.

Assumed you use apt to install OH3: check content of /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ that it contains a repo configuration like described in the first post in this thread.

2 Likes

ok it seems it is still openhab 2.5

[10:21:21] openhabian@openHABianDevice:~$ dpkg -l | grep openhab
ic openhab2 2.5.10-1 all openhab2
[10:21:23] openhabian@openHABianDevice:~$

then the tutorial to upgrade to 3.0 is not clear!

1 Like

ok i see a problem:
Ran the procedure again:

[10:26:51] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ sudo apt install openhab
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package openhab

Any idea?

1 Like

Are you using stable repo? I believe you need the testing repo for OH3. There is no stable release yet.

1 Like

What does ok I see the problem mean ?
Did you run sudo apt upgrade before running sudo apt install openhab in case you modified the repository ?

Prerequisite lists the repo that is required. It contains jfrog.io in the name. There is an other one that has bintray.com in it’s name. The later one does not have the OH3 binaries.

3 Likes

(don’t really know why, but it seems I’m not able to use the “quote” function of this forum any more)

I ran the commands recommended to purge the old OH2 stuff, but got some errors during the “apt install --reinstall openhab”. It seems everything is working afterwards, but it kinda scared me for a second. Anything worth reporting somewhere?

root@rockpi:/var/log/openhab# apt install --reinstall openhab
Läser paketlistor… Färdig
Bygger beroendeträd
Läser tillståndsinformation… Färdig
0 att uppgradera, 0 att nyinstallera, 1 att installera om, 0 att ta bort och 0 att inte uppgradera.
Behöver hämta 82,1 MB arkiv.
Efter denna åtgärd kommer ytterligare 0 B utrymme användas på disken.
Läs:1 https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg testing/main arm64 openhab all 3.0.0~M3-1 [82,1 MB]
Hämtade 82,1 MB på 16s (5 009 kB/s)
(Läser databasen ... 52386 filer och kataloger installerade.)
Förbereder att packa upp .../openhab_3.0.0~M3-1_all.deb ...
Packar upp openhab (3.0.0~M3-1) över (3.0.0~M3-1) ...
Ställer in openhab (3.0.0~M3-1) ...

[openHAB] Performing post-update tasks for version 3.0.0:
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.i18n to org.openhab.i18n in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/i18n.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.persistence to org.openhab.persistence in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/persistence.config
  Moving:   From /var/lib/openhab/config/org/eclipse/smarthome/audio.config to /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/audio.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.audio to org.openhab.audio in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/audio.config
  Moving:   From /var/lib/openhab/config/org/eclipse/smarthome/voice.config to /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/voice.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.voice to org.openhab.voice in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/voice.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.inbox to org.openhab.inbox in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/inbox.config
  Moving:   From /var/lib/openhab/config/org/eclipse/smarthome/links.config to /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/links.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.links to org.openhab.links in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/links.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.folder to org.openhab.folder in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/folder.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.threadpool to org.openhab.threadpool in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/threadpool.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.autoupdate to org.openhab.autoupdate in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/autoupdate.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.chart to org.openhab.chart in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/chart.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.lsp to org.openhab.lsp in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/lsp.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.network to org.openhab.network in file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/network.config
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.core to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.config.discovery.DiscoveryResult.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.config.discovery.DiscoveryResult.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.core to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.items.Item.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.items.Item.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.core to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.items.Metadata.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.items.Metadata.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.core to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome.core to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.thing.Thing.json
  Replacing: String org.eclipse.smarthome to org.openhab.core in file /var/lib/openhab/jsondb/org.openhab.core.thing.Thing.json
  Deleting Directory: /var/lib/openhab/config/org/eclipse/smarthome
  Deleting Directory: /var/lib/openhab/config/com/eclipsesource

dpkg: fel vid hantering av paketet openhab (--configure):
 installed openhab package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Hanterar utlösare för systemd (241-7~deb10u4) ...
Fel uppstod vid hantering:
 openhab
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

(Sorry for all the swedish in there, hope you can understand what it says anyway :slight_smile:)

2 Likes