Guide: Installing and testing OH3 snapshots/milestones using APT and YUM

My test system is not currently on OH3.

I think the difference from most if the users here is I tried configuring from scratch with the UI instead of importing file based configuration.

1 Like

I too am configuring from scratch (and changing to JavaScript in the process) and I’m not seeing the same behavior, so it’s worth further exploration.

1 Like

I also started to confog from scratch but it would take so mutch time. Now I started to move in 2.5 Zwave things to textual config and I hope that I can copy and pase my config files and use rules as well. But how can I use Javascript? I used only DSL and NGRE rule engines so far.

1 Like

HabPanel config is not being loaded even while existing at:
/var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/habpanel.config

1 Like

I just set up the latest OH3 snapshot. I used Docker on the Pi this time instead of native packages.

My rule based on an astro event just triggered. I am not sure what was done differently or if code changes helped out.

2 Likes

Following up in my tests of a migrated system I came to an error log entry where a script cannot be found. It is a script located in $OPENHAB_CONF/scripts and is called via callScript(scriptname) from a DSL rule file (according to this documentation). That worked flawlessly in OH2 but now the script seems to be expected within the rules file:

2020-10-21 16:40:02.963 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution failed: Script ‘arbeitsfrei’ cannot be found. in zentral

Are scripts in the script folder no longer supported in OH3? I could not find anything in the documentation or community threads about it. Or what can I look for as a possible obstacle that prevents the execution? Thanks…

1 Like

I am trying to run the tar-file-based openhab3 in order to not perturb my existing 2.5 until I am sure everything work sufficiently well to make it my standard-running version.
I am lacking directions on how to do this correctly. I am using a linux box.

I downloaded openhab-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz and openhab-addons-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.kar and un-tared the first one. I gave ownership to openhab for the directory where I un-tared the first file. Then I copied my configuration files in their corresponding location (at least I hope that’s where they are supposed to go).
However, I do not know where to put the .kar file.
Finally I started openhab with runtime/bin/start.
A runtime/bin/status says it is Running. However, looking at a ps -efl | grep openhab shows arguments being passed to the java running process of -Djetty.host=0.0.0.0 and the web server does not seem to be running at the right place.
I cannot ssh into the openhab system either like the docs for 2.5 say (ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost).

Could someone help get something basic running?

1 Like

Docker might be a better option. OH2 runs best with java 8. OH3 requires Java 11.

1 Like

Are there detailed instructions somewhere for installing OH with docker?

PS: I’m looking at https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/docker.html Hopefully I can get it running with that.

1 Like

https://hub.docker.com/r/openhab/openhab/

I am working on my own script but it is not ready for others yet.

1 Like

I got the docker OpenHAB 3.0.0.M1 running.
I setup the permissions for the USBs as mentioned in the docker docs but my ZWave is not working. The log contains:

2020-10-21 15:26:52.792 [INFO ] [zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler] - Attempting to add listener when controller is null

The event log:

2020-10-21 15:26:52.808 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0515a6bd65’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2020-10-21 15:26:52.848 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ThingUpdatedEvent ] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0515a6bd65’ has been updated.
2020-10-21 15:26:52.852 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0515a6bd65’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

Similarly the Zigbee stick is not working. But the message seems to indicate more explicitly that it must be related to access to the device:

2020-10-21 15:33:25.558 [INFO ] [bee.handler.ZigBeeCoordinatorHandler] - ZigBee dongle inactivity timer. Reinitializing ZigBee
2020-10-21 15:33:26.574 [ERROR] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - EZSP Dongle: Unable to open serial port

What’s the best way to address this?

PS: I removed my container and re-created one with --device=/dev/ttyACM0 --device=/dev/ttyUSB1 And now ZWave seems to be working. But the way docker rm is happening is weird. I’ve done a rm more than once and when I create a new container it seems to get me back to either a fresh start or with leftovers from previous config. All seemingly randomly.

1 Like

If you are using docker run what is the command used? If using docker compose what is the file contents?

1 Like

I’ve used:

docker run --name openhab \
–net=host \
-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
-v /etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro \
-v openhab_addons:/openhab/addons \
-v openhab_conf:/openhab/conf \
-v openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata \
-e “EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=-Duser.timezone=America/Denver” \
–device=/dev/ttyUSB1 --device=/dev/ttyACM0 \
-e USER_ID=110 -e GROUP_ID=121 \
-d --restart=always openhab/openhab:3.0.0.M

I now have the ZWave running (ttyACM0) and after I updated the Baud rate to 57600, the Zigbee (ttyUSB1) is also showing as online.

1 Like

Instead of the device lines I am using —privileged. That gives access to all known devices.

1 Like

Please open a new thread if you wish to discuss docker, this thread is for apt and yum.

3 Likes

Hello all,

I’m running the latest milestone upgrade, but lately, my sitemap stopped working.

I saved the sitemap to see if there’s an issue with the logs, but there is no warning on it.

When I click on the frame “Sala”, nothing happens.

> Frame label="Sala" {
> Text label="Sala" icon="sofa" {
Frame {
Switch item=Abajur_light label="Abajur"
Switch item=Hall_light label="Hall"
Switch item=Sala_estar_light label="Sala de estar"
Switch item=Sala_jantar_middle_light label="Sala de Jantar meio"
Switch item=Sala_jantar_edge_light label="Sala de Jantar pontas"
Switch item=Sacada_light label="Sacada"
Switch item=Philips_Power label="Philips"
Switch item=Corredor_light label="Corredor"
Switch item=Dining_Strip_power label="Ambiente"
Colorpicker item=Dining_Strip_color label="Cor" icon="Colorwheel"
}

and at the logs I can see these errors:

2020-10-26 08:36:21.131 [WARN ] [org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem ] - failed notifying listener 'org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener@fec914' about state update of item Dining_Strip_color: null

java.lang.NullPointerException: null

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.smarthome.DynamicStateDescriptionSmartHome.getStateDescription(DynamicStateDescriptionSmartHome.java:69) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.getDynamicStateDescription(ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.java:134) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.getStateDescription(ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.java:120) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.getStateDescriptionFragment(ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.java:86) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.internal.service.StateDescriptionServiceImpl.getMergedStateDescriptionFragments(StateDescriptionServiceImpl.java:71) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.internal.service.StateDescriptionServiceImpl.getStateDescription(StateDescriptionServiceImpl.java:63) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem.getStateDescription(GenericItem.java:409) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem.getStateDescription(GenericItem.java:403) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl.getLabel(ItemUIRegistryImpl.java:313) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.constructSitemapEvents(PageChangeListener.java:228) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.constructSitemapEvents(PageChangeListener.java:214) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.constructAndSendEvents(PageChangeListener.java:172) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.stateChanged(PageChangeListener.java:186) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem.lambda$1(GenericItem.java:259) [bundleFile:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834) [?:?]

Any help will be appreciated!!

Paulo

1 Like

I try to install openhab 3.0.0.M1 as described on the download page but I am getting version 2.5.10?
What i am do wrong?

1 Like

You installed openhab2 not openhab

1 Like

Tks,

Could it be a typo on the download page? it says:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install openhab2

1 Like

That page is for both OH 2 & 3. There is an error there though.

1 Like