Guide: Installing and testing OH3 snapshots/milestones using APT and YUM

That it’s already a known issue perhaps. :wink:

2 Likes

Let me just mention that when I tested I did not approach it as an upgrade using text files but tried using the UI. I was unable to get any of my UI based rules to run when triggered. They ran fine manually though.

My test system is currently on OH2 for other testing.

1 Like

You can get to where you can copy and paste a Channel ID by opening the Thing then open the Channel details. But as Wouter pointed out, I’ve filed an issue on this. It’s useful even when not using text based Items and instead are importing Items from .items files configs or relinking Items that already exist through the “code” tab.

It’s probably worth opening a new thread to post examples of one or two of your rule’s YAML and see if there is a bug or a something that needs to be clarified when we write the docs or something else going on.

1 Like

My test system is not currently on OH3.

I think the difference from most if the users here is I tried configuring from scratch with the UI instead of importing file based configuration.

1 Like

I too am configuring from scratch (and changing to JavaScript in the process) and I’m not seeing the same behavior, so it’s worth further exploration.

1 Like

I also started to confog from scratch but it would take so mutch time. Now I started to move in 2.5 Zwave things to textual config and I hope that I can copy and pase my config files and use rules as well. But how can I use Javascript? I used only DSL and NGRE rule engines so far.

1 Like

HabPanel config is not being loaded even while existing at:
/var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/habpanel.config

1 Like

I just set up the latest OH3 snapshot. I used Docker on the Pi this time instead of native packages.

My rule based on an astro event just triggered. I am not sure what was done differently or if code changes helped out.

2 Likes

Following up in my tests of a migrated system I came to an error log entry where a script cannot be found. It is a script located in $OPENHAB_CONF/scripts and is called via callScript(scriptname) from a DSL rule file (according to this documentation). That worked flawlessly in OH2 but now the script seems to be expected within the rules file:

2020-10-21 16:40:02.963 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution failed: Script ‘arbeitsfrei’ cannot be found. in zentral

Are scripts in the script folder no longer supported in OH3? I could not find anything in the documentation or community threads about it. Or what can I look for as a possible obstacle that prevents the execution? Thanks…

1 Like

I am trying to run the tar-file-based openhab3 in order to not perturb my existing 2.5 until I am sure everything work sufficiently well to make it my standard-running version.
I am lacking directions on how to do this correctly. I am using a linux box.

I downloaded openhab-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz and openhab-addons-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.kar and un-tared the first one. I gave ownership to openhab for the directory where I un-tared the first file. Then I copied my configuration files in their corresponding location (at least I hope that’s where they are supposed to go).
However, I do not know where to put the .kar file.
Finally I started openhab with runtime/bin/start.
A runtime/bin/status says it is Running. However, looking at a ps -efl | grep openhab shows arguments being passed to the java running process of -Djetty.host=0.0.0.0 and the web server does not seem to be running at the right place.
I cannot ssh into the openhab system either like the docs for 2.5 say (ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost).

Could someone help get something basic running?

1 Like

Docker might be a better option. OH2 runs best with java 8. OH3 requires Java 11.

1 Like

Are there detailed instructions somewhere for installing OH with docker?

PS: I’m looking at https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/docker.html Hopefully I can get it running with that.

1 Like

https://hub.docker.com/r/openhab/openhab/

I am working on my own script but it is not ready for others yet.

1 Like

I got the docker OpenHAB 3.0.0.M1 running.
I setup the permissions for the USBs as mentioned in the docker docs but my ZWave is not working. The log contains:

2020-10-21 15:26:52.792 [INFO ] [zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler] - Attempting to add listener when controller is null

The event log:

2020-10-21 15:26:52.808 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0515a6bd65’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2020-10-21 15:26:52.848 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ThingUpdatedEvent ] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0515a6bd65’ has been updated.
2020-10-21 15:26:52.852 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0515a6bd65’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

Similarly the Zigbee stick is not working. But the message seems to indicate more explicitly that it must be related to access to the device:

2020-10-21 15:33:25.558 [INFO ] [bee.handler.ZigBeeCoordinatorHandler] - ZigBee dongle inactivity timer. Reinitializing ZigBee
2020-10-21 15:33:26.574 [ERROR] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - EZSP Dongle: Unable to open serial port

What’s the best way to address this?

PS: I removed my container and re-created one with --device=/dev/ttyACM0 --device=/dev/ttyUSB1 And now ZWave seems to be working. But the way docker rm is happening is weird. I’ve done a rm more than once and when I create a new container it seems to get me back to either a fresh start or with leftovers from previous config. All seemingly randomly.

1 Like

If you are using docker run what is the command used? If using docker compose what is the file contents?

1 Like

I’ve used:

docker run --name openhab \
–net=host \
-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
-v /etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro \
-v openhab_addons:/openhab/addons \
-v openhab_conf:/openhab/conf \
-v openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata \
-e “EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=-Duser.timezone=America/Denver” \
–device=/dev/ttyUSB1 --device=/dev/ttyACM0 \
-e USER_ID=110 -e GROUP_ID=121 \
-d --restart=always openhab/openhab:3.0.0.M

I now have the ZWave running (ttyACM0) and after I updated the Baud rate to 57600, the Zigbee (ttyUSB1) is also showing as online.

1 Like

Instead of the device lines I am using —privileged. That gives access to all known devices.

1 Like

Please open a new thread if you wish to discuss docker, this thread is for apt and yum.

3 Likes

Hello all,

I’m running the latest milestone upgrade, but lately, my sitemap stopped working.

I saved the sitemap to see if there’s an issue with the logs, but there is no warning on it.

When I click on the frame “Sala”, nothing happens.

> Frame label="Sala" {
> Text label="Sala" icon="sofa" {
Frame {
Switch item=Abajur_light label="Abajur"
Switch item=Hall_light label="Hall"
Switch item=Sala_estar_light label="Sala de estar"
Switch item=Sala_jantar_middle_light label="Sala de Jantar meio"
Switch item=Sala_jantar_edge_light label="Sala de Jantar pontas"
Switch item=Sacada_light label="Sacada"
Switch item=Philips_Power label="Philips"
Switch item=Corredor_light label="Corredor"
Switch item=Dining_Strip_power label="Ambiente"
Colorpicker item=Dining_Strip_color label="Cor" icon="Colorwheel"
}

and at the logs I can see these errors:

2020-10-26 08:36:21.131 [WARN ] [org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem ] - failed notifying listener 'org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener@fec914' about state update of item Dining_Strip_color: null

java.lang.NullPointerException: null

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.smarthome.DynamicStateDescriptionSmartHome.getStateDescription(DynamicStateDescriptionSmartHome.java:69) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.getDynamicStateDescription(ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.java:134) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.getStateDescription(ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.java:120) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.getStateDescriptionFragment(ChannelStateDescriptionProvider.java:86) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.internal.service.StateDescriptionServiceImpl.getMergedStateDescriptionFragments(StateDescriptionServiceImpl.java:71) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.internal.service.StateDescriptionServiceImpl.getStateDescription(StateDescriptionServiceImpl.java:63) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem.getStateDescription(GenericItem.java:409) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem.getStateDescription(GenericItem.java:403) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl.getLabel(ItemUIRegistryImpl.java:313) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.constructSitemapEvents(PageChangeListener.java:228) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.constructSitemapEvents(PageChangeListener.java:214) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.constructAndSendEvents(PageChangeListener.java:172) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.io.rest.sitemap.internal.PageChangeListener.stateChanged(PageChangeListener.java:186) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.core.items.GenericItem.lambda$1(GenericItem.java:259) [bundleFile:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834) [?:?]

Any help will be appreciated!!

Paulo

1 Like

I try to install openhab 3.0.0.M1 as described on the download page but I am getting version 2.5.10?
What i am do wrong?

1 Like