Guide: Installing and testing OH3 snapshots/milestones using APT and YUM

The snapshots are not even fully functional. You need to wait at least for the stable release at the end of this year.

1 Like

@Bruce_Osborne I don’t think those pretty negative comments in all kinds of threads in the forum are helpful. Nothing will ever be “fully functional” - bugs are normal in any software. I am personally using 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT as my production system since many weeks and it is at least as stable as 2.5, if not better. Sure, there might be some regressions and functional changes, but whether they are a problem for a user or not is something everybody will have to decide for his own.

I can only encourage people to update and have a try. And yes, doing a backup to potentially roll back is never a bad idea for sure.

11 Likes

So, Kai, what would be the best procedure in my case?
I can copy the configuration directory from my NUC to the linux box, install with apt and be good to go?
Or should I use the OH backup on the NUC and then use the backup file to restore on the linux box? (I have not tried the OH backup not, I’ve relied on my system backup approach instead)
PS: I do have some configuration done via the GUI and some done with hand-written config files.

1 Like

I am not the best to answer this as I am myself not using the linux packages, but do my installs from the zip distro. A had copied my conf and userdata folder over to a new 3.0 installation, started it up and checked what errors I saw during startup and did the necessary (small) adaptions. It should work similarly for Linux installs, if you make sure to copy over your conf and userdata to the appropriate folders.
Also note that I am neither using ZWave nor Zigbee, so I am also not sure on what the coordinator sticks might say when being used on a different installation.

1 Like

I have tried OH3 at around august same way. All binding was working including Zwave after some tricks. I have Intel NUC with windows10. I use several bindinds and 100+ Zwave devices. Now I can"t continue it as Zwave is not working in OH3. So I think many people will start try it as Zwave and NGRE rule engine will be functional together. As far as I see development is close to that. Windows10 is good enviroment to change fast between OH3 and OH2.5.X.

1 Like

kai just told me, that z-wave binding should work with OH3. Methinks: “Go an give it (another) a try and let us know.” ^^

1 Like

OK. I’ve just check this yesterday: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/pull/1142 I tried it about two weeks ago. Zwave was deactivated that time. Now I will give another try probably not earlier than this weekend. I have limeted time sorry. Then I come back.

1 Like

I am using OH3 snapshots since a few weeks, and can confirm that it is running fine, including Zwave. I have around 50 Zwave devices.
Only 2 issues I encountered were that group associations are lost whenever I upgrade to a new snapshot, and that DSL rules created using the UI, do not run when interaction with items are involved.
For both issues I have created issues on github.

2 Likes

Hello, I installed the OH3 and I’d like to congratulate all the team for the great work!!!

I have some issues so far, I noticed that when I reboot I have to manually start OH. Is there a way to start it automatically after reboot?

also at the logs I see the following error due to the version 2 please tell me where I can edit in order to remove them:

2020-10-14 16:50:50.655 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-package-expert’: No matching features for openhab-package-expert/0

2020-10-14 16:50:50.742 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The misc add-on ‘ruleengine’ does not exist - ignoring it.

2020-10-14 16:50:50.791 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The ui add-on ‘classic’ does not exist - ignoring it.

2020-10-14 16:50:50.795 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The ui add-on ‘habmin’ does not exist - ignoring it.

2020-10-14 16:50:50.801 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The ui add-on ‘paper’ does not exist - ignoring it.

Thank you all,

Paulo

1 Like

Hey Paulo,

i assume that you installed OH3 over your 2.x version.

PaperUi is no longer existing in OH3 it is depricated, the same has happend with the classic ui and habmin. These are no longer part of OH 3. As far as i understand the basisc selection of packages “Expert” does in addition no longer exist. For ruleengine i have no idea.

So these warnings are ok, but you should clean up your installation

2 Likes

Dear Dibbler42,

Yes, I understand that, since I don’t know how to manipulate well the files, please give me an advice on how to clean the installation…

Thank you!

Paulo

2 Likes

If you´re using the textual configuration,you just have to remove the mentioned entries from the respective sections in ‘…/openhab/services/addons.cfg’.

As I´m not familiar with using the UI for configuration, I would leave the answer to the experts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@RGroll just looked at the addons.cfg, there is nothing there… But thank you anyway!

Paulo

1 Like
sudo systemctl enable openhab.service

If you installed everything by UI, then you need to look in:

/var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/addons.config
4 Likes

It all worked now!! Thank you…

Now still there are some issues related below, but I’m unable to figure out what is this configuration…

2020-10-15 09:19:29.314 [ERROR] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall ] - Cannot create folder /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/bundles. Is the folder write-protected?

2020-10-15 09:19:29.360 [ERROR] [org.apache.felix.configadmin ] - [org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedServiceFactory, id=38, bundle=10/mvn:org.apache.felix/org.apache.felix.fileinstall/3.6.4]: Unexpected problem updating configuration org.apache.felix.fileinstall.3b778af7-83ab-41fd-9a73-ebbf81f27521

java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot create folder: /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/bundles

1 Like

I installed OH3 milestone version. It started with some errors of

org.openhab.core.automation.module.script:3.0.0.M1

openhab.log (128.1 KB)

Zwave was operating well. There are some Zwave messages in uploaded log file, but it is normal Zwave communication.
I use windows 10 with Java: Zulu_JDK_11.0.8_X64

I have one more question. I use NGRE rule engine. I know that it is on the way to be merged into the distro. As I see it is not part of the package or should I install it from the configuration menu, or I can manually install. What do you recommend?

Using actual addon version I receive following message:

2020-10-17 08:21:34.307 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall        ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/C:/Openhab3/addons/org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.scriptenginefactory.jython-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.scriptenginefactory.jython [208]
  Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.openhab.core.automation.module.script; version="[2.5.0,3.0.0)"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:383) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startAllBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1221) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:515) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
	at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

I assume it is due to Java version.

1 Like

I see in another thread that @5iver our main automation developer has not had any code changes merged into OH3. That means likely somebody else tried migrating it.

1 Like

There are currently no Jython add-ons in OH3…

2 Likes

I created a test system on an older RasPi, based on openhabian, cloning my production setup in OH2 (except the Z-Wave things as I wanted no disruption on the running prod system) and then followed the advise here for upgrading to OH3.

It went really well :slight_smile: Cheers to all maintainers and contributors, you did an outstanding job!

There are a few observations I want to share, though:

The OH2 installation was recognised and some output about changes to config files was to be seen. I expected to see a takeover from the OH2 configuration for items, rules, sitemaps etc, but saw nothing about that. Nevertheless it did happen and when I took a look into the respective folders, everything was there.

Before switching to OH3 I did shut down OH2 services. After starting OH3 I saw the first logging still go to /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log instead of /var/log/openhab/openhab.log. After a few minutes it switched and all further logging went to the expected log file. That was totally unexpected and I can’t imagine what the root cause could be as I answered “Yes” to all questions whether the maintainers version of configuration files should be used. One of the 4 files in question was the logging config file, so there should have been no mention in the config of the old OH2 log files.

After OH3 was running I made a few adjustements in the configuration and there is one issue that I hope will be fixed/changed for the RC: the thing identifier cannot be marked for copy & paste in the GUI. For all those guys that keep their configs in files, this leads to a situation where they have to read and type this information manually into their config files instead of being able to copy it from the GUI and paste it accordingly. Or did I oversee something here? (Well, I’m aware I could activate the developer tools of my browser, inspect the page source code and copy the information from there, but I don’t see that as a feasible way, it should be easier than that.)

1 Like

That it’s already a known issue perhaps. :wink:

2 Likes