HABApp 1.0

my fault…I named it wrongly…now everything is fine…

Has anyone a BME280 script running with HABapp nd can share it?

from HABApp import Rule
from HABApp.openhab.events import ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent
from HABApp.openhab.items import Thing
from HABApp.core.events import EventFilter
import logging

import smbus
import time
import requests
from ctypes import c_short
from ctypes import c_byte
from ctypes import c_ubyte

log = logging.getLogger('HABApp')
bus = smbus.SMBus(1)

class CheckAllThings(Rule):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()

self.run.every_minute(self.say_something)

#for thing in self.get_items(Thing):
        #    thing.listen_event(self.thing_status_changed, EventFilter(ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent))
        #    log.info(f'{thing.name}: {thing.status}')

def say_something(self):
        log.info(f'cool')

#def thing_status_changed(self, event: ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent):
    #    log.info(f'{event.name} changed from {event.old_status} to {event.status}')

Error is:

Error "No module named 'smbus'" in load:
2022-08-24 22:12:46.267 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] - Could not load /etc/openhab/habapp/rules/test1.py!
2022-08-24 22:12:46.268 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] - File "/etc/openhab/habapp/rules/test1.py", line 7 in test1.py
2022-08-24 22:12:46.268 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] - --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022-08-24 22:12:46.269 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] -      3 | from HABApp.openhab.items import Thing
2022-08-24 22:12:46.269 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] -      4 | from HABApp.core.events import EventFilter
2022-08-24 22:12:46.270 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] -      5 | import logging
2022-08-24 22:12:46.270 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] - -->  7 | import smbus
2022-08-24 22:12:46.270 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] -      8 | import time
2022-08-24 22:12:46.271 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] -
2022-08-24 22:12:46.271 [ERROR] [HABApp.Rules                        ] - --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but:

python3-smbus is already the newest version (4.2-1+b1).

You have to restart HABApp if you install new dependencies. Also if you run HABApp in a venv you need to install the dependencies there.

HABApp 1.0.4

Usage (HSB works accordingly).

from HABApp.core.types import RGB

col = RGB(5, 15, 255)
   print(col)

print(col.red)   # red value
   print(col.r)     # short name for red value
   print(col[0])    # access of red value through numeric index

new_col = col.replace(red=22)
   print(new_col)
   print(new_col.to_hsb())

The main benefit is that the types can be posted directly to openHAB and will automatically get converted to the appropriate openHAB representation.
E.g.

color_item.oh_send_command(RGB(5, 15, 255))

will work as expected.

Hi Sebastian!

I just upgraded to HABApp 1.0.4.

The following code:

from HABApp.openhab.events import (GroupItemStateChangedEvent, ItemStateChangedEventFilter)

# Get the group items to trigger on
        for subgroup in self.openhab.get_item('gArea_Trigger').members:
            group_item = GroupItem.get_item(subgroup.name)
            # Trigger on item changes
            group_item.listen_event(self.group_item_state_change, GroupItemStateChangedEvent)
            self.log.debug(group_item.name)

now throws an error:

ValueError: Argument event_filter must be an instance of event filter (is <class 'HABApp.openhab.events.item_events.GroupItemStateChangedEvent'>)

Nothing in the changelog about this.

I’d expect I should import GroupItemStateChangedEventFilter instead of GroupItemStateChangedEvent but there’s no such function declared.

Any ideas how I can make this code work again?

It’s in the change log for 1.0.0.
You have to use the EventFilter and pass the event class there (see the example below).

1 Like

Thank you for your kind help Sebastian.

I guess I should change

group_item.listen_event(self.group_item_state_change, GroupItemStateChangedEvent)

to
group_item.listen_event(self.group_item_state_change, EventFilter(GroupItemStateChangedEvent))

I will restore my backup of my upgraded system and give it a try. :grinning:

Edit: It seems to work!

1 Like

Cannot upgrade habapp from 0.31.2 to 1.0.4
i was using openhab 3.3.0 M4 and i decided to upgrade to 3.3.0 release.
I’ve read that habapp needs to be updated but apparently i cannot either by using openhabian-config or following the instructions of the habapp readthedocs site.

python3 -m pip install --upgrade habapp
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
Requirement already satisfied: habapp in ./lib/python3.7/site-packages (0.31.2)

I have also tried to uninstall with openhabian but with no success.

Is my installation too old and I need a fresh install?

It is the same on my side. Even uninstall and install again still get not the version 1

The new 1.0 version requires at least python 3.8 but you are still on 3.7. You can

• install a new version manually and then update HABApp
  • update your whole openhabian image
    (I think you have to use a fresh image but I am not sure)
1 Like

So you mean, a new python version?
Ok will try this

Yes, from 1.0 on >= python 3.8 is required, that’s why it won’t update your installation because the last supported HABApp version for python 3.7 is 0.31.2.

Ok, thanks. Then I will try to update to python 3.8.x on the weekend, if I have time.
thanks and have a nice weekend.
Thorsten

Hey Habapp looks very cool. At the moment i am using JSR223 Jython Scripting, but i am annoyed that it is stuck on Python 2 and that the helper libraries are not maintained anymore. Thats why i am considering to go for Habapp.

What major limitations do i have to expect? Is there maybe already a list about limitations?
Is Habapp fast so that there are no big delays for example when i switch on a light via a Habapp rule?

Are there already rule decorators or are these planned? I liked these a lot when using the Jython helper libraries .

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Typical round trip time (HABApp → openHAB → HABApp) is between 20 and 50ms on my odroid.

I don’t know. But since I wrote it I’m biased und use HABApp how I intended it to be used. :wink:

No - I explicitly chose not to use these.
Every rule is a HABApp.Rule instance.
It’s much clearer how things work that way.

Be aware: HABApp is not jsr223 nor does it attempt to re-implement the helper libraries.
It’s a stand alone rule engine and things work different than in jsr223.
It’s better, but that’s of course my personal opinion.
Just take the time and effort to read (all!) the docs and follow the examples.
Don’t try to migrate jsr223 rules one to one to HABApp but rather use the different techniques HABApp provides to slim your existing rules, e.g.:

• watch update/change
  • HABApp internal proxy items of different types
  • Parameters
  • Dynamic rule creation
  • Dynamic event listeners
1 Like

A less biased answer - habapp is much much faster than openhab rules or using the jsr223 helper libraries. Easier, too. And fantastic to be able to use any python library you want, and not be limited to the few available for jython.

Only disadvantage is that it can’t run actions, so you need a few simple Rules DSL scripts to do that. Not really a problem.

2 Likes

Good news everyone!

HABApp 1.0.5

is out!
I’ve added some convenience functions and implemented some cleanup.

# This construct
if self.my_item != 'overwrite value':
   self.my_item.post_value('Test')

# ... is equivalent to
self.my_item.post_value_if('Test', not_equal='overwrite value')

# This construct
if self.my_item == 'overwrite value':
   self.my_item.post_value('Test')

# ... is equivalent to
self.my_item.post_value_if('Test', equal='overwrite value')

Changelog

• Added new item function post_value_if and oh_post_update_if to conditionally update an item
  • Added support for new alive event with openHAB 3.4
  • Reworked file writer for textual thing config
  • Added support for ThingConfigStatusInfoEvent
  • MultiModeValue returns True/False if item value was changed
  • Updated dependencies
3 Likes

Hi,

Can I please bother you with a quick feature request?

I’ve an MQTT-triggered habapp rule which, amongst other things, loads an image file from the network into a variable. Problem is that, if there’s an error, the habapp log becomes filled with the image file binary, which makes my log reader cry. Is there anyway to cap habapp logging so any lines longer than (say) 1,000 characters are trimmed?

thank you!

Hello Seb,

Is there any backward incompatibility? Your framework has more users now than before (great! but is also a curse) so it would be great to document that, even if it is simply a line that say “Backward compatible with existing code.”

Thanks,

I don’t fully understand. Do you get an error when updating the image and the image is included in the trace back or do you get any error and the image is included?

I try to do semantic versioning meaning that 1.0.X should all be compatible.
Also if there is nothing about a breaking change in the change log it means that it’s backwards compatible.
However due to the great flexibility of HABApp sometimes changes have unexpected side effects depending on the usage by the user.
So I try to do my best to communicate breaking changes and most of the time everything is backwards compatible.

3 Likes

Hi - I mean that if I have any kind of error (in my case it was a KeyError), the debug logging includes the complete contents of all variables, and if one of the variables is enormous (an image file) then the log becomes a problem. Is there any way to e.g. put a maximum length on each line of the log?