HABApp - Easy automation with openHAB

I.e. you would recommend to rather generate items files and include them in openhab?

This is just my personal preference.

But obviously I designed the textual thing configuration with that in mind so it does automatically create the items and additionally creates an item file.
That way it’s the best of both worlds. I can automatically create items based on the things and I can look up everything quickly in a file.

@Dominik_Bernhardt:
If you would like some help we can try and create a textual thing configuration together.

Thanks for your offer. For the moment I’m good. But I certainly will come back with questions :wink:
I currently have a couple of custom python services which are integrated into openhab via HTTP. I plan to migrate this code into rules as part of HABApp.

1 Like

Would it be possible to build and publish the Docker container as multi arch? especially for armv7 and 8?

Sorry, newbie here. What is the level of python competence to be able to use this app?

The dockerfile builds fine on aarch64, but currently I am using the autobuild feature of dockerhub and this imho still doesn’t allow to build anything else than x64.
However it would be nice to have this, maybe I have to switch the build to somewhere else.

If you just want to use it the level is definitely beginner. Just make sure to use an IDE (e.g. PyCharm) for creating your rules because this will provide auto complete. Just take a glance at the getting started
If you are having trouble, just ask questions here.

Good news everyone!

I published HABApp 0.16.0! It bumps some dependencies aaaaaaaand

*drum roll*

*drum roll intensifies*

it adds support for OpenHAB 3!

To make it work “Allow basic auth” has to be activated and user/pw has to be entered in the config.yml.
There are no other changes required.

10 Likes

I have a couple of more questions:

I looked into the code of the textual thing configuration and actually came up with a similar solution for cleanup of automatically created items. I only used tags instead of metadata.
However I ran into the following issues:

• I haven’t seen a way to query openhab items (i.e. using the /rest/items? endpoint). Instead I used a bruteforce approach and did something like:
for item in HABApp.core.Items.get_all_items():
     if isinstance(item, OpenhabItem):
           item_definition = HABApp.openhab.interface.get_item (item.name)
  • This approach resulted in a warning “HABApp.Worker] WARNING | Execution of Cleanup.do_cleanup took too long: 2.33s”. How should long running operations being done in rules?

• Would it be a good idea to expose the /rest/items interface as a method?

The correct way would be to expose the items endpoint and iterate over all the items or use the http connector to make the query yourself. Another possibility would be to use self.run_soon and pass the item name as an argument

If this is your only long running task the warning is not nice but can be ignored. However if you have a couple more HABApp is running out of threads and there will be a significant delay for processing things. That’s why there is a warning.

What is the thread count in the pool? Is it configurable without editing the code?

The limit is currently 10 threads. Currently it’s not configurable but in the future I’ll move these to a different configuration file (e.g. habapp.internals or so).

1 Like

To make it work “Allow basic auth” has to be activated and user/pw has to be entered in the config.yml.

Alternatively you can now generate API tokens and use them to authorize access.

In the UI click on your profile in the lower-left corner, scroll down and click on the Create API Token button:

Then fill in the details (use habapp as the token name, for instance, and admin as scope):

The token shown is your username and the password must remain blank.
In that case there is no need to enable basic auth - you just have to use the token instead of your own username/password.
If you ever need to revoke the token you go to your profile page again and click on the red icon:

4 Likes

Hi, I am thinking on trying your HABApp but what I could not find was how to interface with Telegram (and possibly other Addons). In the openHab rules engine it seems fairly simple calling sendTelegram …

thx

HAPApp only uses the rest interface to communicate with Openhab. I.e. you can interact with items and things but can not leverage Addons directly. However you can use any python library you like to acomplish your tasks. You could e.g. use the telegram-send python module.

Dominik

Then I guess I need to learn Python too … another language in one of my +10 collections …

Currently there is no easy method to access actions from HABApp.
I’ve raised an issue about it a long time ago, but it seems it will not be implemented soon.

However As @Dominik_Bernhard described there are (most of the time) python modules available which will do all the work for you and also provide a much more flexible interface.

I typically create a new rule which does the integration and listen to a certain topic.

class NotifyOnError(HABApp.Rule):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()

# Listen to all errors
        self.listen_event(HABApp.core.const.topics.ERRORS, self.on_error)

def on_error(self, event: typing.Union[HABAppError, str], priority=0):
        msg = event.to_str() if isinstance(event, HABAppError) else event
        # do stuff

NotifyOnError()

In another rule I then can

p = self.get_rule('NotifyOnError')  # type: NotifyOnError
        p.on_error('MyMessage', priority=1)

See How to use rules from other files from the documentation.

The main selling point for HABApp is that you can use python :wink:

FYI - when I try to use Python3.9 with HABapp, I get errors and the platform fails to start.

Reverting to Python 3.8.6 and it appears to work again.

Error is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/habapp", line 5, in <module>
    from HABApp.__main__ import main
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    import HABApp.mqtt
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/mqtt/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
    from . import items
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/mqtt/items/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .mqtt_item import MqttItem
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/mqtt/items/mqtt_item.py", line 1, in <module>
    import HABApp.mqtt.mqtt_interface
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/mqtt/mqtt_interface.py", line 5, in <module>
    from .mqtt_connection import MqttConnection, log
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/mqtt/mqtt_connection.py", line 9, in <module>
    from HABApp.runtime.shutdown_helper import ShutdownHelper
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/runtime/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
    from .runtime import Runtime
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/runtime/runtime.py", line 7, in <module>
    import HABApp.util
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/util/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    from . import multimode
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/util/multimode/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .mode_base import BaseMode
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/util/multimode/mode_base.py", line 32, in <module>
    from .item import MultiModeItem  # noqa: E402
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/util/multimode/item.py", line 9, in <module>
    from HABApp.rule import get_parent_rule
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/rule/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
    from .rule import Rule, get_parent_rule
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/rule/rule.py", line 13, in <module>
    import HABApp.openhab
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/openhab/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
    import HABApp.openhab.events
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/openhab/events/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
    from .item_events import ItemStateEvent, ItemStateChangedEvent, ItemCommandEvent, ItemAddedEvent,\
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/openhab/events/item_events.py", line 4, in <module>
    from ..map_values import map_openhab_values
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/openhab/map_values.py", line 3, in <module>
    from HABApp.openhab.definitions import HSBValue, OnOffValue, OpenClosedValue, PercentValue, QuantityValue, RawValue, \
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/openhab/definitions/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
    from . import rest
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/openhab/definitions/rest/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .items import OpenhabItemDefinition
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/HABApp/openhab/definitions/rest/items.py", line 55, in <module>
    OpenhabItemDefinition.update_forward_refs()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pydantic/main.py", line 677, in update_forward_refs
    update_field_forward_refs(f, globalns=globalns, localns=localns)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pydantic/typing.py", line 233, in update_field_forward_refs
    field.type_ = evaluate_forwardref(field.type_, globalns, localns or None)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pydantic/typing.py", line 50, in evaluate_forwardref
    return type_._evaluate(globalns, localns)
TypeError: _evaluate() missing 1 required positional argument: 'recursive_guard'

Thanks for you hint, I’ve already updated most of the dependencies but currently I can’t test 3.9 yet.
I’ll push an update in the next couple of dates that will address the issue.

I withdrew the post as I was an idiot - so busy looking at the code, I forgot the config was still running as listen_only: true.

1 Like