HABly - Control openHAB with custom widgets for iPhone and iPad

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll try to figure out how to implement that.

Just try to swipe down in the items list - then the search function should pop up at the top.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Harry

Found it, but that‘s not very intuitive…… I would expect it to be pinned at the top…

1 Like

Thanks for that suggestion. I now implemented a search button at the top. Will be in the next update.

Greetings
Harry

1 Like

Just received the update and tested the search button. Works nicely :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Hans-Jörg!

I just submitted another update - the search button was also shown on iPad which already had a nice search field permanently shown. So I removed the search button on iPad. Version 1.03 is currently checked by Apple, should be available tomorrow.

Regards
Harry

1 Like

HABly left beta testing and is now available on the App Store for iPhone and iPad (iOS or iPadOS 17 required)

You can download it here: ‎HABly on the App Store

Yes, it works with myopenhab.org. Just enter your account credentials in settings. Or you enter your local openHAB IP on devices that don’t leave your home.
If you have a Mac with Apple Silicon and Sonoma installed, it should work on this Mac too - it should, I couldn’t test it.

A big shoutout to the Beta Testers! Thank you for your suggestions and your help to make HABly better!

If you have further suggestions, discover bugs or have problems in setting up your widgets: please let me know!

Get_HABly_on_AppStore

qr-code

Thanks so much!
Harry

5 Likes

Great news! HABly also runs on your iMac or MacBook!

I updated my systems to macOS Sonoma to verify and it works: :smiley:

On Apple Silicon Macs (M1, M2, M3):
Download HABly from the Mac App Store and just use it like you would do on iPhone or iPad.

On Intel Macs:
You can’t install HABly directly on your machine but you can install it on your iPhone and configure Collections there - then you can choose these Collections on your Mac when adding widgets.
Just search for Widgets in your Mac settings and activate “Use iPhone widgets”.

You can choose from displaying the widgets in the selected color or in monochrome.

I found two “bugs” during my short test:

• In List Widgets, sometimes the value of one or more Items is displayed bigger than the others. I can’t figure out why - maybe it’s a macOS bug.
  • There’s no “delete on swipe” on macOS. So if you want to remove an Item from a collection, you have to open “add item” and unselect it there. I will improve that with the next update of HABly.

As always: I appreciate your feedback and look forward to suggestions for making HABly better!

Harry

Get HABly: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/hably/id6469004788

4 Likes

@Harry-0815 This is great. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Thank you, @Tomasz_W !

HABly 1.0.7 is available for download!

Minor improvements:

• Improved the Confirmation Dialog when deleting Collections on iPad
  • Search text is now cleared when leaving the Add Items Screen on iPad
  • Added Delete Button for Collectionentries if the app is running on macOS
  • Added some more icons

Fixed bugs:

• Resolved a bug where negative values were incorrectly displayed as positive when the ‘remove unit’ option was enabled

If you like HABly, please share it with friends and family and leave a positive review on the App Store!

DownloadHABlyOnTheAppStore250

Thanks a lot!
Harry

Next Update, next bug resolved. Version 1.0.8 is out now.

I fixed a bug where sometimes multiple colors were displayed as selected while editing a Collection. I hope, I’ve got them all now … :wink:

Thanks a lot for your supprt!
Harry

Hi, just download your app - thanks for it.
I noticed only integer values are shown. Is it possible to display real numbers?

And another point. Is it possible to lock the configure access?
Anne

1 Like

Hi Anne!

Thanks!

At the moment, if you activate “remove unit”, the value is being rounded to maximum one decimal. So a “0.08578 °C” would become “0.01”. If “remove unit” is not activated, “0.08578 °C” should be displayed in the widget. Or did I understand you wrong?

Could you please describe what you mean with configure access? The settings screen or the possibility to add Collections, add Items and so on? Or the configuration of a widget on your homescreen (which Collections should be shon in that widget)?

Greetings
Harry

Hi Harry
thanks for the info. The setting of “remove unit” didn’t matter
5.13 → 5.1
0.389->0.4
4.357->4.3
so values are some how rounded to the first number after the comma. The values are all plain numbers.

If a tap on the widget, the configuration screen opens: collections > add item …
I think configuration and widget usage should be separated.

1 Like

Perhaps just another small thing: All my power values are in kW. As “Number:Power” is in “W” I have to use “Number” as type for theses values. Is there a way to even display the unit “kW” in the widget?

Thanks for clarification.

I checked to code and now I got it. Yes, you are right. If openHAB just returns a number without a unit, the number is rounded to one decimal (sometimes it’s hard to remember decisions, you made three months ago … :wink: ).
I’ll think up a better solution!

At the moment, a tap on the widget leads you to the section of the app, where you left it. I think, that I have to provide a section in the app to link to on tapping. But I’m not 100% sure, I’ll check that. If I have to: in what section of the app you’d like to land after a tap on the widget?

Thanks for your suggestions!

“kW” is added to the “Custom Units”:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-30 um 16.27.50

Thanks for your help, making HABly better!
Harry

Some input:

• Tap should load another selectable collection or none (no action)
  • even better: on each displayed item a separate collection to load may be defined (size problem)
  • the widget color should also be settable by a field (status display)
  • and finally: display a chart in the widget eg. When item is tapped
1 Like

Thanks for your input!

You can already achieve something like this with the current version of HABly - not the “no action” but the “another collection”. Just create a stack of HABly widgets (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207122). You can now swipe through these single widgets.

Although there’s a lot I don’t like about the way Apple has implemented Widgets in iOS, the Widget Stacks are in my opinion a great way to have access to a lot of Widgets without cluttering your screen.

Thanks a lot!
Harry

Harry, thanks for the tip - will try it.
Anne

I’m looking for some brave girls or guys! :wink:

I implemented Anne’s suggestion not to round an Item
value to one decimal by default, but letting the you
choose if, and to how many decimals the value should be rounded.
To make this happen, HABly needs to migrate the existing data on
the first startup of the new version.

I also fixed a rare issue: In some instances, when HABly couldn’t connect to openHAB, Collections were being misplaced, causing HABly to lose track of them. I’ve made improvements to ensure your Collections stay secure, even when there are temporary internet disruptions.

While I’ve tested the update on multiple devices and everything
looks great, I want to be absolutely certain that it works seamlessly
for everyone. This is where you come in! By testing the update on your
device, you help me catch any potential quirks or issues I might have
missed.

How to Dive In:

• Install Apple’s TestFlight app (if you haven’t already).
  • Click on this link to get the HABly 1.1 beta: https://testflight.apple.com/join/PQ6d05vZ
    Please report back and let me know if everything worked flawlessly or if
    you encountered any hiccups.

Cheers!
Harry