HABmin, zwave things, items, and dashboards

From a quick read of your explanation, I think you have it correct :slight_smile:

I just had a look, and what’s in the database at the moment is incorrect. I guess you’ve listed bit numbers, rather than a bitmask (eg I see bitmask 3, which will result in an & 0x0003 - or 00000011 in binary). If it was implemented like this, it would not be possible to have subparameters that are more than a single bit - eg the bottom 8 bits might represent a level, the next 8 might represent individual bits. In this case, to get the level, we would have FF as the mask.

Thank you! I had years ago made sense of this for setting the Aeon HEM report groups, but too much time has passed and the light bulb hasn’t quite gone off in my head. But I think it’s warming up now! Since the word size is 1 (valid range is 0-15), wouldn’t the mask be 0000000F? But both would work?

So, for an Aeon HEM G1, parameter 101, word size 4… to report kWh for clamp 1 (2048, 0x0800) would use a bitmask of 0000FF00 (or 00000F00), with an option of ON=8?

Yes - if it’s the bottom byte/nibble, then this should be correct.

I think that each of the bits in this parameters are individual enable disable bits (right?).

So, the masks would look like the following (in red) for each bit. For each, the options are Enable=1, Disable=0 (or whatever label you want to give it).

Correct. Same for the ZNW39 parameter 6 options.

Bingo… now it makes sense! Putting the masks on the HEM doc clarified the masks.

This part still is unclear to me. For example, one of the NZW39 parameter 6’s has a mask of 000000FF, min/max 0/8, and options for 0 and 8. If this is correct, then I’m not understanding why the HEM would use an option values f 1 and 0. Or I still have the NZW39 setup wrong. :frowning: If not, then the NZW39 is ready to be published.

EDIT: I think I understand this now. The NZW39 masks should be 1, 2, 4, 8, with options 0 and 1?

Thank you for taking the time to explain this!

I’ve just published the NZW39. And after all of that, found another NZW39 by another manufacturer in the db, but it was also empty. These appear to be identical devices with different manufacturer IDs.

You can copy the configuration from the Inovelli :grinning:

copy

2 Likes

So, I follow the tutorial mentioned earlier to get this snapshot?

if I do, do I need to re-do/add all my things, items, and add-ons?

Will I also need to exclude my zwave devices beforehand?

That tutorial will upgrade your OH to 2.4 snapshot builds. Your bindings will be upgraded too. There are updates available almost every day. Chris will export the device database (including the NZW39) for the next build of the zwave binding, which happens about weekly. To update a binding, just uninstall/reinstall it.

No. Just delete your zwave Things and rediscover once you’re updated. The devices are stored in the controller, so this just clears the Thing definition and updates it from the new binding. No need to exclude/reinclude.

So, at this point, the new binding has been published and I can get that (by uninstal/install) without upgrading to the snapshot?

You will need the OH snapshot to be able to get the zwave snapshot binding. There are other ways, but this is the easiest. The zwave binding does not yet have the changes to the NZW39, since it has not been updated yet. Just be patient… it’s updated about weekly.

No rush, just making sure I grok the whole picture. :wink:

No problem… that’s what the forum is for!

Just trying to figure out how one knows or gets notified of snapshot availability…

So, I just had a look at the github https://github.com/openhab/org.openhab.binding.zwave
and it notes cdjackson did a merge 20 hours ago.

Is there a notification of the snapshot availability?

Also, when I use openhab-config to select snapshot, does that update automagically from that point on or just to the latest snapshot at that point?

You can watch the repository on Github to see what’s happening if you like.

That does not tell me when the openHABian is available, right?

No - there is no notification available for this (at least, not that I know of). Normally though if you’re looking for ZWave updates, I will kick off a build straight after merging the ZWave updates. Since there is no automatic build for this, it needs to be done manually.

So you did a zwave merge yesterday.

Does that imply the snapshot is now available?

Not rushing, just trying to plan…

Yes - I did a build yesterday after this update. You can see the latest builds on cloudbees. See the bottom left corner of the image below, or using the link directly to the last stable build.

Uninstall/reinstall the binding in Habmin or PaperUI to get the updated binding.