HABPanelViewer 0.9.27

Awesome! Works again. Thx for that hint!

Hi Guys,

So, i have my wall mounted tablet, but after about 30mins or 1hr, who knows, it just becomes totally unresponsive. I need to restart the app. No dashboards change etc.

I’m using OH2 2.4 stable and have the latest 0.9.25 on an Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (latest one).

Using Habpanel, itself via browser responds without any issue

Any help would be great, thank you!

@vbier I think i’ve found a bug.

When I visit a particular dashboard, cameras, I find that the openhab2 console does not show the dashboard switching when I navigate away from this dashboard to another.

I need to restart the app. V0.9.25. I can give you my habpanel code if you’d like it.

Edit: happening again so fairly easy to reproduce.

You have been using HPV for quite some time, I am wondering why it did not hang so regularly before. What have you changed? In case of hangs or crashes, enabled HW acceleration most likely is the culprit. So try turning it off and see if that changes things.

If this just happens with one of your dashboards, then most likely there is a problem with it. As my time is limited, I am not really interested in investigating this as long as it does not affect more users. Sorry.

Start filtering items that go to habpanel. It can help you with finding the root casue [SOLVED] HABPanel sluggish

Its not one dashboard, its any dashboard and does not fail when using a PC browser and connecting to HabPanel.
There are numerous posts from other users where it fails to respond after a period of time so it’s certainly not related to just me.

I’ve already done the filtering, but it doesn’t make a difference. Hardware acceleration is not the culprit because it’s not been switched on.

I’ve had the issue for ages but it’s becoming annoying to constantly restart the app.

You should properly read what people write (in response to what exactly). I wrote I am not going to investigate the problem with your dashboard navigation as you seem to be only one having it.

I can choose for what I invest my time. Use chrome and be happy in the future.

Of course you can, but it’s not limited to me. Anyway, what a rude response. Only trying to HELP improve the application and fix potential issues but that’s fine. You’re right, you can do whatever you choose.

Yep, a PC browser works a lot better, also in my case, but this is because of the PC available resources, acceleration features and optimization given to desktop browsers like Chrome. I don’t believe it has very much to do if anything with habpanelviewer itself.

Is this about the habpanel or habpanelviewer? I believe it’s rather habpanel related.

Additional idea would be to compare HABPanelViewer to other Kiosk browsers available for android. Can you do this and say a word about the results?

Hello zacofunny, may you suggest something that you’ve used before potentially?

It was not meant to be rude. You were telling me chrome runs fine and HPV annoys you, so I proposed to use chrome instead of HPV. I do not see what is rude about that.

If you want to help improving the application, then invest some time and locate the source of the problem instead of asking other people to do it. Turn off all monitoring and camera related stuff and empty the command item. After that, there is no more HPV code involved besides the Webview showing the page. Let it run until it hangs. If it hangs, there is nothing I can do. If not, enable one functionality after the other until it hangs.

2 Likes

Fully Kiosk browser is the best alternative out there. You can try it, but you will lost all functionality given by habpanel in terms of commands and reporting sensors. I believe you should try what vbier suggests. Clear all commands features given by habpanelviewer and verify how it works. Then try it will Fully Kiosk Browser and see if there’s difference. I did it once and in my case there was no real difference and moreover Fully Kiosk browser was eating a lot of energy. BUT it was long time ago and both applications FKB and HPV evolved very much.

1 Like

I think I have a similar issue like @dastrix80. I have HABPanelViewer running on a Fire7 tablet and set up some rules to send “SCREEN_DIM” when the tablet is not in use. When I wake the tablet up after a longer time period it displays the values of the time it was last used. After some time the values get updated. It shows every status change of the values until it reaches the current value (so i see a timelapse-like display of all changes). Sometimes it becomes unresponsive (or I’m not patient enough to wait) and I have to restart it. However, if I don’t send “SCREEN_DIM”, so the screen is always on, this doesn’t happen.

It looks like item changes are buffered somehow by the webview component. You can try the current development version to see if this fixes your problem (i have just commited a change that might fix it). If not, try to send the command “show_url about:blank” before sending screen_dim and enable the preference entry “Show Start page on wakeup”.

I installed the current development Version. Unfortunately it doesn’t fix my issue. I will try your other suggestions and give you feedback on that.

I now tried sending “SHOW_URL about:blank” before “SCREEN_DIM” and setting “Show start page on wakeup”. When I now wake up the tablet I get a white screen. For me it looks like the browser simply stops working some time afer the screen is dimmed. I also tried playing with other settings like “browser cache”, “desktop mode” or “hardware accelleration”, but that didn’t help either. Is there anything else I can try (other than not dimming the screen)?

The white page is the about:blank page. Is the app still responsive? Can you go to the start page with the context menu?

Have you set a start page?

The app is still responsive. I can access the right-side menu and also the context menu. With the context menu I also am able to load the start page, which I have set. I also set the option “Show start page on wakeup”, but that seems to have no effect when using “SCREEN_DIM”. I’ve set “KEEP_SCREEN_ON” when I detect usage and set the brightness to a defined level. The “Show stat page” option only kicks in, when I manually turn off the tablet and wake it up again. Also when not sendig “SHOW_URL about:blank” the app seems to be responsive. I also can reload everything with “go to start page”. However a “reload”, either via the context menu or the reload button, seems to have no effect.