I have created an openHAB controlled kiosk browser as a frontend for habpanel.
Initially, I wrote it because I always accidentally activated scrolling when pressing buttons in kiosk mode with the matrix-theme. I have therefore added a preference that allows to turn of scrolling completely.
When that worked, I added a few additional features:
- it can be set as home screen
- it allows to control the camera flash and screen backlight and volume depending on openHAB items.
- it can report device sensor values to openHAB.
- it detects motion using the front camera and can report motion events to openHAB (this does not work at the same time as the flash control on my tablet).
- it has an app launcher shortcut that allows to configure and launch a specific app from the menu (I use this for an explorer app to install the updates, but it might be handy for other use cases, too)
- it has an auto-restart on crash feature
- it auto-discovers the openHAB server on first start
- it can adjust the volume depending on an openHAB item
I have uploaded the Android Studio app code to github:
A pre-built apk file is available as release in the github project.
Since this is my first android app it probably has some coding inefficiencies or style problems, but it seems to work.
Here is a screenshot of the app with open main menu (swipe left starting from the right screen edge to open it):
Feel free to check it out and leave comments. I will work on it in my spare time, so if you have problems or feature requests let me know.
You will need Android 4.4+ for the app to work. All features are available from Android 6.