I have created an openHAB controlled kiosk browser as a frontend for habpanel.
Some of the available features are:
- it can be set as home screen
- it allows to control the camera flash and screen backlight and volume depending on openHAB items.
- it can report device sensor values to openHAB.
- it detects motion using the front camera and can report motion events to openHAB (this does not work at the same time as the flash control on my tablet).
- it has an app launcher shortcut that allows to configure and launch a specific app from the menu (I use this for an explorer app to install the updates, but it might be handy for other use cases, too)
- it has an auto-restart on crash feature
- it auto-discovers the openHAB server on first start
- it can adjust the volume depending on an openHAB item
I have uploaded the Android Studio app code to github:
A pre-built apk file is available as release in the github project. It is the current development state:
Thanks to @miker, the app is also available in the play store and the amazon app store. It usually takes some time until a release is uploaded to the play store. If you want to have new releases sooner, install using the fdroid app or download from fdroid.org (thanks to @mueller-ma).
You can not install the play store version over the apk or vice versa. You need to uninstall the old version first.
Here is a screenshot of the app with open main menu (swipe left starting from the right screen edge to open it):
Feel free to check it out and leave comments. I will work on it in my spare time, so if you have problems or feature requests let me know.
You will need Android 4.4+ for the app to work. All features are available from Android 6.